View Full Version : Pathfinder Tiefling Samurai build

ArendK
2015-08-04, 11:08 AM
So for once, I'm actually a player, and now playing a Tiefling Samurai (Order of the Dragon); in the campaign, he was killed early on, and I switched characters. My second character was a blast to role-play, but I couldn't really contirbute outside of role-playing (combat, despite my optimizaitons, I was struggling to do any effect to anything). My GM allowed me to 'revive' the Samurai after we went Mythic (2nd level, 1st Tier) under the stipulation that I take the Mythic Weakness to Silver. I agreed, and started working on a slight rework to represent his changes after death.

STR 18, DEX 15, CON 15, INT of 15, WIS 15, and CHA 13- After adjustments for him being Oni-Spawn.
Sword Saint Archetype.
He's been using a Nodachi thus far as his weapon of choice, and picked up Power Attack as his feat (damage not largely needed now, but doesn't hurt)

Stats are going to remain the same, but I'm going to switch over to Order of the Warrior and do a little toe-dip into Oracle (Battle, but I forgot the revelation I took) for mostly fluff reasons, but I like the concept of the Samurai 'burning beyond death' and being a paragon of battle such that he will not die. Secondary weapon of choice is the Naginata, and I'm trying to decide on a few paths to go, but I'm looking for a few good ways to optimize him in combat and add a bit more of that Samurai feel.

We're second level with one mythic tier (Champion, and I think I have mythic power attack and Impossible Speed), but open to other progressions. I wouldn't have worried so much about damage at early levels, but our GM is piss-poor with encounter balance at the moment and nearly killed 4 2nd level characters with a CR 8 encounter (we managed to survive through team-work and dumb luck), so being able to level the damage playing field is a huge boon.

For progression, I'm planning on remaining Samurai the rest of the way, and potentially dual pathing with Guardian as far as Mythic for a few abilities like the Fast healing. Legendary item definitely has an appeal to me, as I don't plan to ever swap out the Nodachi I have in character (I started with it Masterwork).

I'm looking for any ideas for feats, mythic progressions, or the like to improve on the character. Can the Giants help me out?

Elricaltovilla
2015-08-04, 11:15 AM
What books are you using/what material do you have available? I'm not a huge fan of Mythic stuff, but one that sticks out as particularly good is the feat Mythic Combat Reflexes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-feats/combat-reflexes-mythic). Infinite Attacks of Opportunity is something that's probably worth picking up no matter your build. There's also a mythic champion ability that makes it so that you no longer automatically miss on a natural 1, that could be useful.

Spore
2015-08-04, 11:16 AM
Additional info about the group and the intended power level would be nice. With dipping you can break the wall into T4 even with a Samurai but maybe you don't even need more than pure resilience and damage due to your party of wizard cleric and sorcerer who throw around buffs like its candy.

ArendK
2015-08-04, 11:28 AM
The other players are

Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum
Tiefling Sorceror (I want to say Arcane bloodline)
??? Monk (varies on the style of monk and race as the GM is letting him rebuild).

Most anything Paizo is fair game, please include reference as anything outside of the Ultimate series and Inner Sea World Guide I'm not intimately familiar with.

ArendK
2015-08-04, 03:11 PM
I want to be able to contribute more than just death and destruction; hence why I like the samurai class for the extra skill points. I've got him as a bit of a social beast as well; words before blades.

illyahr
2015-08-04, 04:12 PM
Oh, holy crap. I didn't see the Pathfinder tag until I opened the thread. I was about to have a heart attack thinking you were using the 3.5 Samurai. :smalleek:

Just say no to the 3.5 Samurai. :smallbiggrin:

ArendK
2015-08-04, 04:53 PM
I liked the attempt to get the Samurai feel in 3.5, but it was a terrible class mechanics wise, agreed. Even without the Samurai 'archetype' the cavalier fits the flavor with a fair amount of function I'm looking for. First character I ever ran in Pathfinder was a Hobgoblin Samurai (Order of the Blue Rose) from Darguun in an Eberron setting. He was a beast, but I didn't know a lot of the intricacies about Pathfinder at the time, so I didn't get to really run with it. Now I'm more savvy, but I want to get more ideas.

Sayt
2015-08-04, 05:57 PM
Since Mythic Is open... Mythic power Attack is a no brainer. Against enemies with High AC, Mythic Vital strike can actually be useful (You get all your flat mods multiplied as well as the dice, for the enemies where your iteratives just aren't hitting.

If you're a social beast as well, One of the universal talents is "Get a +20 to a [stat] check". Pick Charisma and you're just that ****ing charming.

ArendK
2015-08-04, 08:45 PM
Normally, I write off the Display of X powers, but that might actually make this viable...That is very tempting.

Right now, I'm Oracle (Battle)-Warsighted 1/Samurai-Sword Saint 1; Again, our GM is still learning to properly scale encounters, so I'm trying to think of a little flexibility. The Warsighted gives me the martial versatility from the monk (frigging amazing if you ask me) so I can swap out to feats I don't have yet (Shield of Swings isn't bad given my stats, Combat Reflexes is viable, and I can hold off on Power Attack for a level yet. I'm thinking Armor of the Pit might be worth a look as well (hard to argue with a +2 NA bonus).

Spore
2015-08-05, 06:14 AM
Half-Orc Warpriest of Gorum
Tiefling Sorceror (I want to say Arcane bloodline)
??? Monk (varies on the style of monk and race as the GM is letting him rebuild).

If your sorcerer builds selects and uses his spells wisely I'd say you are very fine. Fly to reach the fleeing Succubus, Protection from Evil to counter the corrupted Nymph's song or a plain fireball to kill the 1st level mooks you would have to spend rounds of combat on.

I'm thinking Armor of the Pit might be worth a look as well (hard to argue with a +2 NA bonus).

I have taken it on Investigator and it is okayish but I guess it's not worth it on a class with heavy armor proficiency nor is it advisable on a high optimization game (aka a game where the DM consistently sways between three goblins raiding your nightcamp and a herd of Velociraptors ripping you a new one).

Your martial flexibility doesn't advance so I'd advise you to get Combat Expertise (so you can pick most combat maneuvers that base around it) and later on power attack (not only for damage but also for sunder and bullrush maneuvers).