PDA

View Full Version : Monk Magus Mishap

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 11:19 AM
So in the pathfinder group I just joined up with, I've quickly realized they have some odd habits with character creation. For one, I didn't get to roll my own stats and they used an odd system. I'm a human monk 2/magus 4 with a 19 Strength, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 17 Int, 9 Wisdom and 8 Charisma. I only got 400 gold to work with and no magic items. No traits, and my AC is 17 with the chain shirt I bought and the Dodge feat. Is all this cause to be worried or am I overreacting? If my concern is legitimate, what can I do to make my character less likely to suck?

Anlashok
2015-08-04, 11:24 AM
Can you explain this aforementioned odd system at all?

Kurald Galain
2015-08-04, 11:24 AM
Depends. Can you take archetypes? With those stats, Magus/4 is viable regardless of whether you get any items, but I have no idea why anyone would MC that with monk.

(edit) Don't take dodge, try to get a wand of Shield, and cast Mirror Image in important fights; that should cover your defenses for the time being.

TheIronGolem
2015-08-04, 11:26 AM
What's your character concept?

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 11:30 AM
For this odd system, it was basically they roll some number of dice (I think it was 5 or 6) and drop the two lowest. You only get one row of stats and you don't reroll a 10 or lower. I also can only put one skill point in a skill each level.

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 11:32 AM
My concept was to do unarmed damage as a magus, I heard that they added an archetype for that but I'm only allowed to use material from physical books they own. Those books are Core, Ultimate Combat, Magic, Equipment and the Advanced Players Guide
(edit) yes I can take archetypes

Kurald Galain
2015-08-04, 11:42 AM
My concept was to do unarmed damage as a magus,
Yes, but you don't need monk for that, just the IUS feat. Flurry of blows and spell combat don't stack, and a Magus should be using spell combat pretty much all the time.

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 11:48 AM
I should clarify, I took Master Of Many Forms for Dragon Style and to get Dragon Ferocity. However if you think it'd be better to stick with straight magus I will talk to the DM

TheIronGolem
2015-08-04, 11:52 AM
I also can only put one skill point in a skill each level.
That's normal for Pathfinder.

Seconding IUS instead of Monk if you want to be a punchy Magus, unless your concept demands Evasion.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-04, 12:20 PM
I should clarify, I took Master Of Many Forms for Dragon Style and to get Dragon Ferocity. However if you think it'd be better to stick with straight magus I will talk to the DM

Don't use MoMS. It's a great example of awful game design, and should never see play.

Regardless, you're a monk with 9 wisdom. And you're two casting levels behind. Magus 6 would be a lot better.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-04, 12:21 PM
I should clarify, I took Master Of Many Forms for Dragon Style and to get Dragon Ferocity. However if you think it'd be better to stick with straight magus I will talk to the DMI think that's a sound investment, personally. You won't get as much benefit from some of your unarmed feats as you would by sticking with Monk (e.g., Stunning Fist uses per day), but Dragon's Ferocity gives you a free chance at inflicting Shaken on your enemies every time you punch them, which is cool–especially if you put ranks in Intimidate or fear spells or whatnot so you can upgrade that shaken into nastier effects. It lets you take Elemental Fist so you can punch things on fire, which is also cool.

And you're not really losing out on Flurry of Blows not stacking with Spell Combat, since you gave the former up as part of the archetype anyway. Your low wisdom doesn't matter because you're wearing armor and not sticking with the class long enough to get a Ki pool, and you're not losing anything by wearing armor because you gave up Flurry of Blows and aren't sticking to the class long enough to get Fast Movement.

Optimized? Well, no, because as the League of Wizards Who Know Better around here will tell you you're losing spell levels and that is an objectively wrong decision. :P But I think you'll be fine. You're getting what you want out of Monk and not losing anything by going into Magus; whether the two levels of Magus features are more interesting to you is really the only question you need to ask.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-04, 12:27 PM
That's not such a great combo...

First because it requires a swift to activate, and so does your Magus enchant ability, and numerous other Magus tricks. Second because you can boost your damage much better with spells. And third, because shaking on a critical hit is not worth a feat, especially since fists have a narrow crit range. If you want to shake people, take the Enforcer feat, it's much better.

Regardless, you're a monk with 9 wisdom. And you're two casting levels behind. Magus 6 would be a lot better.
Indeed. (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus)

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 12:36 PM
I have been informed that I can't change anything as my character is already made. So how can I best improve what I have so far?

Kurald Galain
2015-08-04, 12:58 PM
I have been informed that I can't change anything as my character is already made. So how can I best improve what I have so far?

Point your GM at the retraining rules.

Otherwise, how do you expect to improve your character if you can't change anything and don't have money for gear?

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 01:58 PM
They dont allow retraining, so what's my next best option?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-04, 02:02 PM
Have the character commit suicide and make a new character?

Edit: Ok... that came out harsher and ruder than I intended to. What I mean is if you are not enjoying the character make another one, there shouldn't be a reason why you wouldn't be able to, specially if you just joined this group as you implied in the OP. The above suggestion is just the most drastic option you could take.

Fightmaster
2015-08-04, 02:10 PM
Chances are my best bet is to play until I get murdered. Which I can deal with, I'll just make sure it's in a blaze of glory and make my next character the reincarnation of the old one: back for revenge! :smallbiggrin: