View Full Version : [PF] Can a PC be mounted?

Frosty
2015-08-04, 02:40 PM
what counts as a mount exactly? Let's say you have a centaur PC or perhaps a synthesis summoner PC with the quadruped base form (and have the right evolution to be suitable as a mount). You then take leadership to get a paladin cohort.

If your cohort rides you into battle with a lance, will spirited change work normally for the cohort?

If the paladin cohort is of the Shining Knight archetype, do YOU gain your cohort's charisma bonus to all saves while mounted? The ability says:

At 3rd level, a shining knight does not take any penalty to her Ride skill due to her armor check penalty. In addition, any mount she is riding gains the benefit of her divine grace class feature, adding her Charisma bonus (if any) to its saving throws.

Sagetim
2015-08-04, 03:09 PM
The short answer is yes, they can also be stuffed and...oh, wait, you meant into combat. Silly me, making a sex joke out of it.

I think that the rule regarding sentient npcs not appreciating being ridden like a mount into combat would not necessarily apply if you have a consenting player character on the other side of the reigns. If your dm is good about it, they Will have the npcs of the world react like you're committing a kinky sex act in public though. As far as I understand it, it may not be against the rules as written, but it's probably going to rub people the wrong way in a cultural context manner. Now, if you had some means to turning your ally into an actual horse or wyvern or whatever, then rode that into combat you would look like a normal jerk riding a normal mount and all would be well with the world. Until your mount starts yelling curses at the enemies for all those jabs with your spurs, or starts using spring attack while you use ride by attack to deliver devastating blows of some kind.

If I were GMing the game you were trying this in, it would work fine because it's players engaging in really solid team work. But you would start getting funny looks if you got off your horse and it turned into a druid and you gave eachother a high five, or a public display of affection or what have you. Rumors Would start.

In a game I was gming, you could stack the mount using spring attack or flyby attack (or greater flyby attack) with you using spirited charge, but in the normal action economy situation, the mount is supposed to be expending their actions on the movement for your spirited charge, which is where you start running into problems. This is where your mileage is going to vary, because a dm Could rule that the move actions need to be kosher move actions, nothing special going on, though as a DM I Would rule that as long as the movement gets you from point a to b with the right kind of velocity it's all honkey dorey.

Edit: Yes, this means that in a game I run, I'd be willing to let you suicide dive off a flying mount to spirited charge someone on the ground while falling. You would still take falling damage after all.

Ssalarn
2015-08-04, 05:04 PM
There's some weird hinks in game because of the way the rules work. Like, whoever is the rider basically gets to hijack the mount character's move action since the mount moves as you direct it. Also, kind of amusingly, you could use the Ride skill to spur your ally for +10 to his move speed, though one has to imagine that might get old quickly.

The big thing is that for you to use things like Spirited Charge, the mount has to be moving as the rider directs, they have to be using the appropriate action types (Spirited Charge requires a mounted charge which means both rider and mount must spend a charge action), and there might be some penalties associated if the mount character isn't really a suitable mount, but it's mostly doable.

Frosty
2015-08-04, 07:10 PM
Nothing wrong with both characters charging. In fact, the centaur can wield a lance too so they BOTH spirited charge! Much damage is had.

(Un)Inspired
2015-08-04, 08:14 PM
Bow chicka bow wow

Doc_Maynot
2015-08-04, 08:26 PM
The Undersized Mount feat from Advanced Class guide lets you ride a creature of equal size... So yes.

Jarmen4u
2015-08-04, 08:31 PM
Depends on how high their seduction roll is. :smallcool:

Sagetim
2015-08-04, 08:45 PM

Thank you for ensuring that I wasn't the only one making innuendo about this thread's topic.

Don't forget that if you have a flying mount-person, they can pick up fly by attack (well, in 3.5 at least) and greater flyby attack, which lets them fly up, use a standard action, then fly away. For all intents and purposes, I would count that for spirited charging, and it would let the mount (who might be, say, a warblade or what have you) drop a strike maneuver on them while you impale them with your lance. Alternatively, your mount could use searing charge and you could go along for the ride and use spirited charge....

Frosty
2015-08-04, 09:27 PM
Seduction isn't a skill in PF or 3.5 :smallamused:

Sith_Happens
2015-08-04, 10:14 PM
Seduction isn't a skill in PF or 3.5 :smallamused:

Sure it is, it's just called "Diplomacy" is all. Or "Linguistics" if your Intelligence is high enough.:smallwink:

Sagetim
2015-08-05, 01:47 AM
Sure it is, it's just called "Diplomacy" is all. Or "Linguistics" if your Intelligence is high enough.:smallwink:

I dunno, I think I'd have to vote for Perform (oratory) or Bluff.

nedz
2015-08-05, 12:06 PM
I dunno, I think I'd have to vote for Perform (oratory) or Bluff.

Or Intimidate, but I don't think that's called seduction.

Zubrowka74
2015-08-05, 01:42 PM
Or Intimidate, but I don't think that's called seduction.

Only in a BDSM context.