PDA

View Full Version : Making a Warlord

Blackhawk748
2015-08-04, 05:05 PM
Precisely what it says on the tin. This is 3.5 and the specific class doesnt matter (just no Prepared casters please, personal preference. Paladins and Rangers are fine though) The goal is to make someone who fits the Warlord Cliche, so brutal, rules mostly through fear, is probably at least a competent leader, and is capable of kicking major rear end, and i want the build to feel like that. As im not sure what game i would use them in lets go for 2 builds, one 1-20 build, and a second E6 build. Thanks a bunch

Grod_The_Giant
2015-08-04, 08:28 PM
I'd use a Song of the White Raven build-- one level of Bard and the rest Warblade. White Raven alone makes you a lead-from-the-front murder machine; things like Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw only amplify that, while Song of the White Raven keeps your Inspire Courage in tip-top shape. Take Imperious Command and the Never Outnumbered skill trick to leave entire crowds on their knees crying for mommy. You can easily splash a level of Barbarian (which opens Intimidating Rage up) and two of Orc Warlord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a) to gather your own warband.

Useful Points:

Song of the White Raven (feat)-- stack bard and warblade levels for inspire courage bonus
Song of the Heart (feat)-- +1 Inspire Courage, no ifs, ands, or buts.
Badge of Valor (item)-- +1 Inspire Courage 3/day, and they're dirt cheap. Get a pair.
Inspirational Boost (spell)-- 1st level, swift action, +1 to Inspire Courage. You can't cast it without another level of Bard (not recommended overall), but you can get a wand (or Eternal Wand) and stick it in a Wand Chamber in your weapon.
Imperious Command (feat)-- instead of demoralizing dudes, leave them cowering.
Never Outnumbered (skill trick)-- intimidate everyone within 10ft at once.
Might Makes Right (feat)-- use your Strength to determine how many followers you get with Leadership.

DMVerdandi
2015-08-04, 08:48 PM
Precisely what it says on the tin. This is 3.5 and the specific class doesnt matter (just no Prepared casters please, personal preference. Paladins and Rangers are fine though) The goal is to make someone who fits the Warlord Cliche, so brutal, rules mostly through fear, is probably at least a competent leader, and is capable of kicking major rear end, and i want the build to feel like that. As im not sure what game i would use them in lets go for 2 builds, one 1-20 build, and a second E6 build. Thanks a bunch

Well, I WOULD have said just use a cleric right out of the box, but you don't like prepared casters so, lets look for something else, shall we?

I am guessing you want the best of both worlds. Physical Might, as well as some sort of power outside of just brawn. Really, you are going to need some way to make your troopsY stronger.

Two suggestions.
1. Battle Sorcerer/War-Weaver/Abjurant Champion
It gives up a little bit of spell casting potency for a more reliable frame. Want it to have more flexibility? Buy some rune staves.
As far as ruling through fear, use fear spells to have his enemies bow at his feat.

Sorc/Wiz Fear spells are almost completely necromancy, finding items or feats to help it really will take it a long way.

Feats to obtain
(Focusing on fear spells)
Spell focus[Necromancy]
Fierce Necromancy[No save shaken after using necromancy spells on target]

(Focusing on Intimidate skill)
Intimidating strike
[Essentially power attack, but the bonus goes to an intimidate check made immediately after. Really cool actually. Especially paired with wraith strike or true strike]

Natural Bully
[All Enemies half or lower HD than you take -2 to attacks toward you. This is essentially terror based +2 AC]

Imperious Command
[Demoralized enemies cower for a round]

Never Outnumbered
[Demoralizing with intimidate works on all enemies in 10 feat, rather than just one]

Frightful Presence
[On an attack or all enemies in 30 feet that are less than half your HD are shaken]

For intimidate skill itself
Skill focus (+3 bonus to any skill)
Skill Knowledge(Obtain any two skills off of another classes list.
Intimidate and Diplomacy thank you)

2.Spontaneous Cleric.
I actually had forgot all about this guy. Of course this would be the divine alternative, but yeah.

3. Savage Bard.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-04, 09:57 PM
Level 20: This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275093-its-a-villain-sort-of#5), but maybe substitute Paladin of Slaughter or Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny) and get rid of the good-aligned stuff (Nymph's Kiss, make an evil adaptation of Harmonious Knight that gets Inspire Awe).

E6: Probably some kind of fear build (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809) with decent BAB and armor/martial weapon proficiencies.

The Viscount
2015-08-05, 12:05 PM
Depending on what you focus on, a 1 level dip in Thrallherd might be useful for gathering a large group of followers. Qualification is a bit annoying, but if you can manage playing Kalashtar, that fulfills the special requirement. War Chief is potentially useful, but you'll need something to negate the damage it inflicts if you care about keeping the minions around. Then again, thrallherd gains you followers regardless of how you treat them. If you want to negate the damage, a dip or splash into dragon shaman gives you fast healing aura to reduce or counteract the effect. Marshal is the classic warlord in terms of fluff, but it doesn't stand up so well in doing things for itself.