PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - Prestige Class for a Divine Casting Duskblade

Red Rubber Band
2015-08-04, 08:16 PM
Similar to this other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427982-3-P-Multiclassing-with-Duskblade-%28post-13th-level%29), I am looking for a prestige class that could work well for a Duskblade once I hit its capstone at level 13. However, this time I'm looking for divine casting prestige classes.

My character will possibly undergo a metamorphosis and become a paragon for Good and Law. Assuming DM acceptance, he could end up becoming a divine caster. So are there any divine prestige classes that would work well with a Duskblade? Preferably ones that have strong benefits in the first 3 levels, as it's unlikely we will go above 16. Note that my character's Charisma is at an 8, and will stay that way.

Here are some other things to consider:
One of the highest priorities is that it continues to advance spellcasting most of the time. Level 4 offers a lot for my character in the utility and flavour departments.
My character has pledged his loyalty to another. Classes that showcase devotion/bodyguard abilities would be a nice touch.
He has an elemental connection. If there is a class that focuses on an element, or something like the void/metal/gravity, I am sure that I can attempt to refluff it to fit.
Easier entry prerequisites are better. I think the only feats I have that are prerequisites to anything are Leadership, and Improved Initiative. Skill prerequisites require 3 less if using a 3.5 class. Charisma skills have been left in the dust.
Magical items do not assist in entry prerequisites even if they give feats whilst being held.
Setting specific things (languages, regions) can usually be waived. Some racial prerequisites can also be waived.
PF character creation with 3.5 allowed.
No Dragon Magazine or 3rd party stuff allowed. I think the only 3rd party stuff allowed so far has been some of DSP's PF stuff.

The list so far:

Contemplative
Sovereign Speaker - mainly here because of the options from Domain spells
Stormlord - very thematically befitting
Knight of the Raven - refluff the raven, Smite Undead will be uselss
Celestial Mystic - Assuming I can waive/change two of the useless prereq feats

They don't seem to give me much, and in some cases delay my spellcasting... thoughts? I'll have around 3 levels to play with.

Umbranar
2015-08-05, 03:46 AM
How about Divine Oracle?
Second level gives you "Evasion in all armor".

nedz
2015-08-05, 04:25 AM
Duskblade doesn't fit with many PrCs.

Divine Oracle is good, but it is divination focussed — which is not what you are looking for.

Celestial Mystic (Book of Exalted Deeds p55) loses you caster level and 3 levels adds quite a few resistances/immunities — it does fit thematically though you would need to have acquired 3 Exalted feats.

Dread_Head
2015-08-05, 06:48 AM
Knight of the Raven from expedition to castle ravenloft? It has easy prereqs, full BAB, mostly full casting and you gain Turn Undead (useful to pick up divine feats) and the Sun Domain.

Red Rubber Band
2015-08-05, 07:09 PM
How about Divine Oracle?
Second level gives you "Evasion in all armor".
Interesting, I completely overlooked that ability. However, it doesn't fit my character thematically at all :smallfrown:

Duskblade doesn't fit with many PrCs.

Divine Oracle is good, but it is divination focussed — which is not what you are looking for.

Celestial Mystic (Book of Exalted Deeds p55) loses you caster level and 3 levels adds quite a few resistances/immunities — it does fit thematically though you would need to have acquired 3 Exalted feats.
No, they don't. I'll be losing +1 spell power and 1/day extra use of Quick Cast, so I'm not really sold on staying in the class.

Unfortunately Celestial Mystic will probably be a no as it's pretty tight on feats and I don't want to waste two of them (Sacred Vow, Servant of the Heavens). I mean, I'd definitely consider it if I could get the DM to waive those two useless feats. And taking Vow of Abstinence would fit in very well.

Knight of the Raven from expedition to castle ravenloft? It has easy prereqs, full BAB, mostly full casting and you gain Turn Undead (useful to pick up divine feats) and the Sun Domain.
I initially disregarded this PrC. But taking a second look I may add it in to the short list. Smite Undead will be completely useless, but I can refluff the Raven to something more befitting my character.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

ZamielVanWeber
2015-08-05, 07:40 PM
Soldier of Light has its own casting which is not good for you, but IIRC you should be able to get up to Fast Healing 2 with it. You can definitely get up to Fast Healing 1 which is a game changer though.

nedz
2015-08-05, 09:20 PM
Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle p99) is an option.
Feat tax: Combat Casting, Dodge, Arcane Disciple (Healing).
13 levels is what you need for the Heal 8 ranks requirement because cross-class.

5/5 casting, Evasion and Spontaneous Heal are the highlights.

Red Rubber Band
2015-08-05, 10:03 PM
Soldier of Light has its own casting which is not good for you, but IIRC you should be able to get up to Fast Healing 2 with it. You can definitely get up to Fast Healing 1 which is a game changer though.
What edition is that from? And what book?

Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle p99) is an option.
Feat tax: Combat Casting, Dodge, Arcane Disciple (Healing).
13 levels is what you need for the Heal 8 ranks requirement because cross-class.

5/5 casting, Evasion and Spontaneous Heal are the highlights.

Not bad. Not this character's style, but definitely a choice that I'll consider for a different character! Oh, and not that it's hugely relevant but this character has an average Wisdom score. Yet another casualty of roleplaying :smalltongue:

Our party has a designated healer. He's becoming a messiah of sorts, so don't want to tread on his toes lest I upset the masses :smalleek: