PDA

View Full Version : What good systems are good for the mushroom kingdom?

The Vagabond
2015-08-04, 08:25 PM
So, I'm planning on running a game in the Paper Mario universe- Originally, I was planning on running it in the Pathfinder system, because of familiarity, but I realize that it didn't fit the Paper Mario mechanics, nor did it have the out-of-combat stuff that would be nice to have. As such, I'm asking a question- Are there any other systems that would fit the Paper Mario universe?

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-05, 02:23 PM
Glad you're still going at it. :smallsmile:

Save Game (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139030/Save-Game--A-World-of-Adventure-for-Fate-Core) seems like a very good go-to, if you're a Fate fan. I've played a one-shot of it, and it feels very video game-y in exactly the right way. It comes with a baked-in setting, but that's easy enough to drop–and you can probably use a lot of the included NPCs as-is, since a whole swath of them are thinly-veiled Mario character expies anyway.

It's also pay-what-you-want (as are the Fate Core/Accelerated rules, which are also SRD material), so you don't have to worry about players not having access to the needed books.

The Vagabond
2015-08-05, 03:48 PM
Glad you're still going at it. :smallsmile:

Save Game (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139030/Save-Game--A-World-of-Adventure-for-Fate-Core) seems like a very good go-to, if you're a Fate fan. I've played a one-shot of it, and it feels very video game-y in exactly the right way. It comes with a baked-in setting, but that's easy enough to drop–and you can probably use a lot of the included NPCs as-is, since a whole swath of them are thinly-veiled Mario character expies anyway.

It's also pay-what-you-want (as are the Fate Core/Accelerated rules, which are also SRD material), so you don't have to worry about players not having access to the needed books.
I've never played in the Fate system, but I'm thinking that it might be a decent thing to try out.

Edit: Looking at it... Yeah- It fits well for the out-of combat stuff, but the in-combat stuff tends to not fit as well with a lot of... everything. Doesn't quite feel like Paper Mario in that respect, and the illustrations are really off putting.

Username.
2015-08-06, 11:03 PM
Years ago -- wow, many, many years ago -- I actually statted up Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser in Toon.

It's imperfect, but it's easily moddable.