PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me make a Witch Hunter (with a Bard).

Valluman
2015-08-04, 11:45 PM
As the title suggests, I am trying to figure out how to make a Witch Hunter type of character using the Bard. I'm not picky about which archetype of Bard I use, nor am I against multiclass to achieve my goal of making this occult-savvy-slayer. The main idea is that they would use a crossbow primarily to do damage and also have enough utility with their magic to buff and debuff and heal.

djreynolds
2015-08-05, 02:46 AM
It's too bad you cannot smite with ranged weapons, because bard/paladin would work.

So, witches are smart. They exist right under our noses. A lore bard has the ability to research and uncover these bad guys. I see him almost like a plainclothes detective type. Ranger dip could be worth it for the archery style and urban tracking.

Other than that, a bard has it all. High charisma saves should help versus confusion spells.

That said, don't go it alone. You could run a witch hunting service and employ mercenaries.

Notafish
2015-08-05, 03:35 AM
I imagine variant human would be a good starting point since then you could take Crossbow Expert at level 1.

Lightfoot Halfling or Half-elf could also be good.

If you're going for a Professor Van Helsing type, the researcher background could be fun...

I'd go Valor Bard through level 6, then 1 level of War Cleric before going back to Bard. Being able to Detect Evil and Good will be nice, as will the ability to shoot a heavy crossbow 3 times in a round twice a day.

An important question, though, is what instruments would a witch-hunting bard be proficient in?

MrStabby
2015-08-05, 09:10 AM
An important question, though, is what instruments would a witch-hunting bard be proficient in?

Thumbscrews?

ImSAMazing
2015-08-05, 11:06 AM
As the title suggests, I am trying to figure out how to make a Witch Hunter type of character using the Bard. I'm not picky about which archetype of Bard I use, nor am I against multiclass to achieve my goal of making this occult-savvy-slayer. The main idea is that they would use a crossbow primarily to do damage and also have enough utility with their magic to buff and debuff and heal.

Maybe a dip in Rogue for Cunning Action(in combi with Thief)

Ardantis
2015-08-05, 11:15 AM
Valor bards make great archers, assuming the Ranger spells you'd pick up with Magical Secrets work with crossbows.

I'd go straight Valor Bard. You'll get armor and extra attack (and weapon proficiencies?)

All skills are class skills, so you'd probably want a background with a cool hook. I like Noble (for the Batman-esque approach) or Hermit (because Secret is such a cool hook). Alternately, you could choose Outlander for Survival and tracking.

I'd choose Expertise in Survival and Religion (if an undead hunter) or Acrobatics if you're a more cinematic slayer.

For feats I'd choose Alert and maybe Actor. Variant Human for sure.