PDA

View Full Version : favored in guild vs favored

Raishoiken
2015-08-05, 12:21 AM
By RAW, would the favored feat from Cityscape and the guild benefits listed for it supersede the favored in guild feat from the dmg 2?

Side question: anyone know a way to get an extra 50gp at first level short of like a profession check?

Curmudgeon
2015-08-05, 02:19 AM
No, these are different feats, just as Toughness and Improved Toughness are different feats.

The most effective way to get extra gp at 1st level is to be a Wizard and sell your spellbook. A blank spellbook costs 100 gp. The special inks to record spells cost 100 gp/page. Your spellbook comes 2/3 full of spells (all the 60+ cantrips on the Wizard spell list, plus 3 1st-level spells), so it's worth over 6K gp.

Raishoiken
2015-08-05, 02:31 AM
No, these are different feats, just as Toughness and Improved Toughness are different feats.

The most effective way to get extra gp at 1st level is to be a Wizard and sell your spellbook. A blank spellbook costs 100 gp. The special inks to record spells cost 100 gp/page. Your spellbook comes 2/3 full of spells (all the 60+ cantrips on the Wizard spell list, plus 3 1st-level spells), so it's worth over 6K gp.

This! You Just made my build stupid easy to do, greatly appreciated

edit: also, removes the need for favored in guild

marphod
2015-08-05, 12:23 PM

IFF you can find someone to buy it.

This is where Worth and Cost diverge, and given there are no RAW rules for selling a spellbook with spells in it (of which I am aware), this value is entirely supposition.

I agree with Curmudgeon up to the 100gp per book cost. After that, not so much.

First, your spellbook has 3 1st level spells in it only if you have an Int of 11 or less.

For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice.

The value of a spellbook is in what it can do for someone, not how much it cost to create. If you screw up a Craft roll and have to expend extra resources to keep crafting, you do not recover the expense by selling it for more. You get money based on what it is worth.

They are inherently magical, so the default rules of Craft obviously don't apply. They do not cause XP or require a feat, so the standard magical crafting rules don't apply.

Lacking specific rules on crafting spellbooks, lets use some logic. What is a spellbook of a 1st level wizard actually worth?

The book itself is worth about 1gp per empty page. There are roughly 35-Int Mod blank pages.

The 1st level spells in the book are worth about 1.5x the cost of a first level scroll -- you can learn the spell from the scroll, and then sell it on the back end to recover some of the cost. So that's 75gp per 1st level spell.

If you can find a Ranger of the Order of the Arcane Sword (or whatever the feat is called), or another memorize-from-spellbook caster who doesn't get all the cantrips automatically, the 0th level spells are worth 37.5gp each.

So, an 18 Int 1st level wizard's spellbook is worth between 550gp (without 0th level spells value) to 2800 gp (with 0th). Sale value is half that (because PCs are bad at economics) so you'll get 275gp to 1400gp for the spellbook.

At the low end, you can probably find someone who can afford to buy it in most towns. 550gp of value makes it a valid item for a second level NPC, so maybe.

At the high end, you'll need a 6th level NPC to be able to afford it (half NPC WBL). Which also means finding a larger town, at least.

And there still is a lousy market for low level 2nd hand spellbooks.

This still relies on finding a buyer. And it means your wizard has no spellbook, so nothing they can cast other than Read Magic.

Raishoiken
2015-08-05, 02:13 PM
IFF you can find someone to buy it.

This is where Worth and Cost diverge, and given there are no RAW rules for selling a spellbook with spells in it (of which I am aware), this value is entirely supposition.

I agree with Curmudgeon up to the 100gp per book cost. After that, not so much.

First, your spellbook has 3 1st level spells in it only if you have an Int of 11 or less.

The value of a spellbook is in what it can do for someone, not how much it cost to create. If you screw up a Craft roll and have to expend extra resources to keep crafting, you do not recover the expense by selling it for more. You get money based on what it is worth.

They are inherently magical, so the default rules of Craft obviously don't apply. They do not cause XP or require a feat, so the standard magical crafting rules don't apply.

Lacking specific rules on crafting spellbooks, lets use some logic. What is a spellbook of a 1st level wizard actually worth?

The book itself is worth about 1gp per empty page. There are roughly 35-Int Mod blank pages.

The 1st level spells in the book are worth about 1.5x the cost of a first level scroll -- you can learn the spell from the scroll, and then sell it on the back end to recover some of the cost. So that's 75gp per 1st level spell.

If you can find a Ranger of the Order of the Arcane Sword (or whatever the feat is called), or another memorize-from-spellbook caster who doesn't get all the cantrips automatically, the 0th level spells are worth 37.5gp each.

So, an 18 Int 1st level wizard's spellbook is worth between 550gp (without 0th level spells value) to 2800 gp (with 0th). Sale value is half that (because PCs are bad at economics) so you'll get 275gp to 1400gp for the spellbook.

At the low end, you can probably find someone who can afford to buy it in most towns. 550gp of value makes it a valid item for a second level NPC, so maybe.

At the high end, you'll need a 6th level NPC to be able to afford it (half NPC WBL). Which also means finding a larger town, at least.

And there still is a lousy market for low level 2nd hand spellbooks.

This still relies on finding a buyer. And it means your wizard has no spellbook, so nothing they can cast other than Read Magic.

All i need for this build is 700gp at first level, which i thank you for helping me accomplish

Zombimode
2015-08-05, 03:40 PM

I hate to interrupt you, but you seem to have missed this passage: Selling a Spellbook (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#sellingaSpellbook)