PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Ogre Mage Were-Battle Titan

Thurbane
2015-08-05, 02:52 AM
So, just a really stupid request.

How, as a DM, would I go about optimizing an Ogre Mage Were-Battle Titan?

With 41 HD, it has 14 feats, many of which will qualify for Epic feats.

It will also have a lot of skill points, so it can pump cross-class skills like UMD.

This is purely theoretical, so go nuts!

Cheers - T

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-05, 09:55 AM
As a CR 14 monster, or as an ECL 51 character?

To optimize it as a CR 14, 41 HD monster, give it Half-Fiend, take Magic in the Blood to make all its 1/day spell-like abilities usable 3/day, and get Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Blasphemy. It's now CR 17, and 3/day it can do a caster level 41 Blasphemy as a swift action, which automatically kills any nonevil creatures of 31 or fewer HD within range. On top of that it can use (Quickened) Destruction, (Quickened/Empowered/Maximized) Horrid Wilting, and (Quickened) Summon Monster IX. Use a variant Half-Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) to expand his class skill list, since he'll have Outsider base skill points for all his hit dice, be sure to max out Listen, Spot, Hide, Move Silently, and Intimidate, and give him Imperious Command and the Never Outnumbered skill trick, and armor with the Fearsome property from Drow of the Underdark (which is more recent than MIC). Gear should include items that grant immunity to fire and acid, plus the necessary item effects (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items).

Edit: As an ECL 51 character, he'll just be the laughing stock of the party; don't even bother.

Thurbane
2015-08-05, 10:57 PM
As an ECL 14 encounter - I'd rather not add in any extra templates, or class levels...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-05, 11:40 PM
In that case, I would just focus on making it able to survive long enough to swallow everything in sight. Give it the Fast Healing epic feat a bunch of times, since healing hit point damage heals an equal amount of nonlethal damage so that will double-up thanks to its regeneration. Give it Energy Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#energyResistance) for fire and acid at least twice each, preferably 3+ times each. Improved Spell Resistance also helps.

Inevitability
2015-08-06, 02:31 AM
Perhaps try to give it Blinding Speed? The dexterity requirement is harsh, but Haste is a potent buff.

Just something I thought amusing, the Ogre Mage will keep his flight speed in battletitan form, as it is a supernatural ability. Would make for a nice way to start the fight...

DM: As you look up, you see a gargantuan dinosaur flying towards you, its jaws snapping wildly.
Players: Crap.

Then again, you may be better off having it use its special abilities to get an advantage. Have it sneak up invisibly and Charm a party member or let it approach the PC's in some nonthreatening form (I recommend halfling).

Crake
2015-08-06, 01:51 PM
Considering a lycanthrope is literally straight up better than the base animal (having everything the base animal has and then more), if you end up with a CR that is lower than the CR of the base animal, you may need to re-assess the CR of the creature. Just sayin'.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-08-06, 02:55 PM
Improved Combat Reflexes combined with size and reach increases, Legendary Wrestler for +10 on grapple checks, two feats to get Thicket of Blades. Eat everything that moves!

See if you can get your stomach enhanced as a weapon, and add your favourite abilities.

Edit: you might be able to get a sphere of annihilation floating inside your stomach, that would certainly take care of anything you swallow. Do take care to feed yourself some other way.