PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Dragonborn?

GiantOctopodes
2015-08-05, 03:11 AM
So I'm in the very early, broad stroke steps of world building. I'm currently painting the races in broad strokes and defining their interactions with each other, and the Dragonborn have proven to be my first stumbling block.

Here is what I have for the common races, so you have an idea of where I'm starting from:

Humans- Humans are humans, and are largely the same as ever. Varied in their practices, government structures, beliefs, and everything else, the best and the worst are found amongst them. They are populous and expansionistic as a whole, and their empires rise and fall with the passing of generations.

Dwarves- Dwarves love mining and working with the stone, and are a proud race of blacksmiths and craftsmen, every one. They're tough as the mountain stone and just as slow to change. They are fine enchanters who tend to make permanent magic items, whose power waxes over the course of centuries. Their fine enchanted items are handed down from generation to generation, and they themselves craft what they do not receive as inheritance, so it is a rare adult dwarven warrior who is not bedecked in magic arms and armor. This would make them a fine prize for those who can slay one, but there are two issues there. First, they fight in well disciplined tactics and never travel alone, and they never leave their dead behind unless there is absolutely no alternative (those bitter losses where such events occur are deeply etched in their memories, the only thing longer than their beards). Second, dwarven armaments do not magically resize, and the secrets to altering it to fit a new wearer are known only to dwarves. If you ask any dwarf, it is impossible for anyone other than them to do so. They never trade their magic to outsiders, though they readily trade raw metal, gems, basic metal goods and decorative items, most often for food, lumber, leather, and other goods more easily obtained on the surface.

Elves- Ephemeral is the perfect word to describe elves. They tend to want to experience the full breadth of existence, and rarely stick with any one vocation, task, lover, or anything else. Their homes are more often than not temporary structures, and even when they take up residence somewhere, they will typically pack up and leave with little to no notice days, weeks, months or years later, whenever they feel that they've gotten enough out of their current experience and that it's time to move on. Their wanderlust, combined with the fact that they are passably good at a great many things, makes them heavily romanticized, and wild tales of their magics, their ageless nature, their trance, and just about every other aspect of their nature circulates freely amongs the humans (they are the most common non-humans seen in human lands), with no one quite certain how true any of it might be. Despite being journeymen at many tasks, it is rare indeed the elves who have the patience and commitment to master anything. Even their magics tend to be temporary modifications of common items, or potions, scrolls, or other consumables, and even their "permanent" magic items see the magic fade from them over time. No one has any idea whatsoever how many of them there are, they hold no cities, gatherings of them will form and break apart with the passing of the moons, and they are encountered in the oddest of places, doing the oddest of things, as they explore life in all its richness.

Halflings- Far more insular and clannish than Dwarves could ever hope to be, halflings are a poorly understood race. Their tribes wander about in a nomadic lifestyle, living off the land and only making contact with outsiders when they need to trade. Their magic favors stealth and concealment, and they are so good at hiding their encampments of carts and tents that they are virtually never found unless they mean to be, and they have a reputation for stealth far beyond anything that is reasonable. They also have a reputation as thieves and liars, and when a burglary occurs and no culprit is found, it is often assumed that halflings had something to do with it, and blamed on them even when no encampment is nearby. After all, who can really tell whether an encampment is or isn't nearby. This in turn only feeds into their reputation, such that halflings are often greeted with a cold welcome, and often find themselves facing unfavorable and unfair business terms when trading, as many see it as only right to recoup something when the payment is surely ill gotten or stolen goods.

Gnomes- Innovators and experimenters, Gnomes are masters of crafting bizarre inventions which often produce effects normally only seen in magical items, such as allowing a man to fly, or causing fire and explosive force, or making a light which is not extinguished by water, amongst many other things. Truth be told, this is largely because their race, overall, is not particularly magically inclined. However, between their impressive devices, which common folk often see as magic (for how could it be anything else?), and their use of cantrips and minor magical effects to give the impression of great magical power, they have a rather undeserved reputation as a race of powerful wizards. Those that do excel in magical arts tend to push any boundaries they can, often practicing necromancy and other taboo forms of magic. Due to the often catastrophic results of their experimentation, they are not welcome in wealthy and populous areas of the human cities they frequent, but a combination of respect and fear prevents them from being barred from them, and they often have significant wealth they both create and share. As such, gnomish communities often arise in the slums of human cities, where, should things go awry, the lords of the realm are far less likely to care. The larger the cities, the more likely the gnomish presence and the higher their presence there, such that in the largest of human cities they outnumber even the elves, on average (though the elvish population naturally fluctuates frequently). They are rumored to have their own cities, but where they are, or why gnomes seemingly tend to favor living in human cities over living in their own, are questions few have answers for.

So, given that, what place do Dragonborn have in the world? I have a few ideas, but none of which I'm particularly happy with. Hopefully some guidance can be provided.

Idea #1
Dragonborn- No one other than Dragons are quite certain about how Dragonborn are formed (and Dragons tend to be rather silent on the matter), but virtually all Dragon's lairs and surrounding lands have them present, a clan of whatever color the Dragon in question might be. They worship dragons as their gods- not in the abstract sense, or some overarching diety, but the actual Dragon whose lair they center around is seen as their creator, their protector, their sole reason for existence. The size and prosperity of the Dragonborn clan they 'shepherd' is often seen as a reflection of the power and prestige of the Dragon itself, a view firmly and repeatedly reinforced by those with particularly large and prosperous clans. They are also used as an extension of the personal conflicts a Dragon might have, such that neighboring Dragons competing for territory might not battle with more than words and threats themselves, while the Dragonborn openly war with each other. Typically, none of the Dragonborn wanders too far from the presence of their patron, other than to seek out something to appease it. The exception are the rare few (and they are rare indeed) who rebel against the idea of their race existing to serve the Dragon, who are exiled for their beliefs. It is from those individuals that adventuring Dragonborn most often arise. The other possibility are those clans who live to see their Dragon patron killed. Many of those Dragonborn who suffer such a tragedy simply waste away and die, all will to live gone from them. A rare few turn to a more independent existence. Those Dragonborn who are magically gifted, which is relatively common within their race, tend to favor evocation magic.

Idea #2
Dragonborn- The origin of the Dragonborn remain mysterious. It is said that they once existed solely to serve the Dragons whose color matched that of the Dragonborn clans. However, through their warring with each other on the Dragon's behalf, ideas were exchanged that eventually led to a bloody revolution, where the Dragonborn declared their independence and attacked the Dragons they had formerly served. Proving a capable threat to them, the Dragonborn won their independence, and the amount of Dragons in the world was drastically reduced. To this day, some Dragonborn actively hunt Dragons, seeing them as enslavers of their ancestors (the facts of which are perhaps less clear than some Dragonborn might be willing to admit), with some even lumping the metallic Dragons in with the Chromatic dragons and hunting them indiscriminately. They tend to be fiercely against slavery or indentured servanthood of any kind, and are often wary of even business contracts or any other extended arrangements. While some intermingling of the clans has occurred over time, many members of the clans are still 'true' members of their clan, and their colors remain undiluted. Those Dragonborn who are magically gifted, which is relatively common within their race, tend to favor evocation magic.

Idea #3
Dragonborn- The origins of the Dragonborn have long since been lost in the mists of time. It is said that in ages past they served the Dragons, and that they once had an ill fated rebellion during which they sought to gain their independence. The fury and vengeance of the chromatic dragons was severe, and civil wars between those who wanted independence and those who did not led to near extinction. Even amongst those who survived, many clung to the old traditions, and refused to intermingle or interbreed. Between their relative rarity and the extreme dangers of the existence of most dragonborn, their population levels have only dwindled as the centuries have worn on since that time. It is estimated that should nothing significantly change, they may well fade from the world entirely within the next several centuries. Their impending extinction has imposed upon most a grim fatalism, an acceptance of the inevitability of the end of all things. Those who are magically gifted among them tend to favor evocation magic.

Idea #4
Dragonborn are not included at all

Do any of those sound workable or interesting? Anyone have other ideas for Dragonborn that are flavorful and compelling, in a way that does not provide significant overlap with the races I currently have set up? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Crusadr
2015-08-05, 11:38 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of your idea #2 there, definitely makes the race very interesting and opens up some nice plot hooks and character concepts. The only thing in that instance that comes to my mind is what makes/made the dragonborn powerful enough to have fought back and won against the dragons?

Maybe they found an artifact to help them? Advantage through pure numbers? The concept just spawns so many more options and ideas that I think will really help you flesh the race out a bit more. Also, I like your take on the other races as well, well done.

Mechalich
2015-08-06, 07:29 PM
I'm assuming this is a 5e world yes (since 5e is the only system in which dragonborn are a prominent race)?

Dragonborn are tied to dragons, so your decision regarding them will also play into the role dragons play in your setting. If dragons are not common, or simply function as powerful monsters and have little to no role in worldly affairs beyond the occasional Godzilla-style city-razing (which is the standard approach) then I suggest keeping the role of dragonborn small in the vein of your option #3 (banning them is not really necessary, it's generally easy to make something rare enough to be inconsequential but still present for that lonely player who loves them to utilize).

If dragons are more prominent, ie. ruling nations or having vast confederations, then giving the dragonborn a more notable role makes sense.

Also, your modifications to the elves have somewhat vacated the traditional 'wise and mystical elder race' variant to make them more fey-like. You could absolutely slot the dragonborn into that role. After all, dragons are often a legacy of the ancient world.

Milo v3
2015-08-06, 09:26 PM
Personally I like idea #1.

I'm assuming this is a 5e world yes (since 5e is the only system in which dragonborn are a prominent race)?

4e also has Dragonborn as a major race. Though I do think this is likely 5e.

Everyl
2015-08-07, 07:23 AM
In my opinion, if you don't have a good use for them, don't include them. Not every D&D element fits into every setting. It would be worse to have an underdeveloped or ill-fitting Dragonborn race than to have no Dragonborn race at all, especially with the work you've done on the other races in your setting.

Some of your ideas for them do sound interesting, and if you can develop one into a concept you like, go for it, of course.

RazDelacroix
2015-08-09, 03:42 PM
I am personally caught between your first and second ideas regarding the dragonborn.

Korakys
2015-08-12, 09:31 AM
Idea #5
Dragonborn - When Dragons saw the humanoids expanding across land and sea and sometimes successfully defeating their own kind they came to understand that quantity can be beneficial as well as quality. The making of the Dragonborn is vague, but certainly involved magic and may have involved copious human and other experimental sacrifices.

Dragonborn once served as soldiers and stewards of the various dragons that created them. However, through their warring with each other on the Dragon's behalf, ideas were exchanged that eventually led to a bloody revolution, where many of the Dragonborn declared their independence and attacked the Dragons they had formerly served. Proving a capable threat to them, the Dragonborn won their independence, and the amount of Dragons in the world was drastically reduced.

To this day, some Dragonborn actively hunt Dragons, while a lesser number of others continue to serve their winged overlords, sometimes willingly and sometimes in virtual slavery. Although more learned humanoids often acknowledge their greater role in depleting the numbers of Dragons most still view them with suspicion for their draconic origins and likenesses. Trust is usually hard won for Dragonborn and not entirely without cause as some of the few who still serve Dragons wander as spies for their masters.

While some intermingling of the clans has occurred over time, many members of the clans are still 'true' members of their clan, and their colors remain undiluted. Dragonborn towns are frequently located in their overthrown masters former lairs. Those Dragonborn who are magically gifted, which is relatively common within their race, tend to favor evocation magic.

Idea #6
Dragonborn have short memories and are bastards, but just useful enough to the other races to still be allowed through the city gates - most of the time.

Mith
2015-08-17, 05:25 PM
Perhaps part of the slavery idea could be that you have a hierarchy of Dragon kind, going Kolbolds, Dragonborn, wyverns, then Dragons. So the Dragonborns could have largely revolted, while the kolbolds stayed loyal.

choryukami
2015-08-24, 09:06 AM
Idea #7: Dragonborn ARE dragons. For their first hundred or so years of life, they take on a humanoid form and mingle with the common races. This could be a new thing, or it could have been how it always was (perhaps only dragons actually know this, and it is secret). There are no Wyrmlings, or perhaps full fledged dragons refer to Dragonborn as 'Wyrmlings.' Once the dragonborn is old enough/powerful enough to grow, then it is probably time to retire the character anyway. It could make for great story arcs, like, "I'm trying to be the dragon I am destined to be." Dragonborn are fairly rare, and not all of them make it to full dragonhood (because, you know, the world is dangerous). This is how I use Dragonborn in my setting.

Beam
2015-08-25, 10:31 PM
I like #1. It's different and keeps dragonborn adventurers rare. Dragonborn could be the elite and kobolds the fodder of dragon armies. I like the idea of the idea of rival dragon territories in the wilderness.