PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Hashashim 3.5 PrC PEACH

BootStrapTommy
2015-08-05, 01:32 PM
Fida'i

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ooEoVuueaYU/UX7kakYzdII/AAAAAAAADhI/TPNB_GH_rSw/s576/Hashashin_by_wraithdt_zps6a90da71.jpg

The most successful thread I've ever posted on this forum has been about my distaste for the Assassin class' Evil alignment requirement. But finding reasons for a warrior to have developed the kind of cut throat skills required of that archetype while being capable of good is not easy. Inspired by the real world, I fell back on religion. One particular group stood out in my mind, the Islamic Nizari Ismaili fida'i or "hashashins" who not only inspired much of the Westerner ideas of trained, skilled killers, but are the etymological root of the word "assassin".

It doesn't take a genius, however, to figure out on what chassis I build the class, or based on what interpretation of "hashashins" I was inspired by. However, I did take some help from a few obscure 3.0 splatbook classes.

I chose fida'i, used to refer to someone willing to give his life for the cause, instead of hashashin, referring to drug use, because I think it better fits the "religious assassin" flavor. Plus it adds a bit of a novel "Near East" flavor to the class. I don't speak Arabic, so feel free to correct any improper usages.

Feel free to question the balance. :smallcool:

Hit Die: d6

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1
+0
+2
+0
Sneak attack +1d6, Death Attack, Hidden Blade, Poison Use

2nd
+2
+0
+3
+0
Uncanny Dodge

3rd
+3
+1
+3
+1
Sneak Attack +2d6

4th
+4
+1
+4
+1
Wind Stride I

5th
+5
+1
+4
+1
Improved Uncanny Dodge, Sneak Attack +3d6

6th
+6
+2
+5
+2
Hide In Plain Sight

7th
+7
+2
+5
+2
Sneak Attack +4d6

8th
+8
+2
+6
+2
Impostor, Wind Stride II

9th
+9
+3
+6
+3
Sneak Attack +5d6

10th
+10
+3
+7
+3
Swan Dive

To qualify to become a fida'i, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:

Skills: Disguise 4, Bluff 4, Hide 8, Move Silently 8
Special: The character must kill someone by direct order of their religion.
The fida'i’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 8 + Int modifier.
All the following are class features of the fida'i prestige class:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Fida'is are proficient with the crossbow (hand, light, or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, rapier, sap, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Fida'is are proficient with light and medium armor but not with shields.

Sneak Attack: A fida'i gains 1d6 sneak attack damage at 1st level. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (3nd, 5th, 7th, and 9th). If a fida'i gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Death Attack: If a fida'i studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (fida'i’s choice). While studying the victim, the fida'i can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the fida'i or recognize the fida'i as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the fida'i’s class level + the fida'i’s Intelligence modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the fida'i. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the fida'i has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds.
If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the fida'i does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

Hidden Blade: Fida'is are trained to conceal weapons on their person to a greater degree than most. A fida'i gains a competence bonus to his Sleight of Hand check equal to his Intelligence modifier for the purpose of concealing weapons. A fida'i may draw small concealed weapons like a dagger or a dart as a free action, gaining a surprise attack and catching his opponent flat-footed. This can only be done before combat begins and only if his target does not expect conflict.

Poison Use: Fida'is are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a fida'i retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)
If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below).

Wind Stride (Su): To do the work of his god, a fida'i must be capable of taking advantage of his terrain. At 4th level, a fida'i gains the ability to move along vertical surfaces or across liquids without falling, though only during the move. If the he ends his turn on a vertical surface or liquid, he falls. In addition, the fida'i gains a +4 insight bonus to all Balance checks to run on otherwise compromising surfaces, like thatched roofs, fences, or tree branches. At 8th level, the fida'i no longer falls when ending his round on a vertical surface, gaining a climb speed equal to his base land speed.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level, a fida'i can no longer be flanked, since he can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack the fida'i. The exception to this defense is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the fida'i can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).
If a character gains uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge, and the levels from those classes stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A skilled fida'i is blessed by his deity to easily blend into his surroundings. At 6th level, a fida'i can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow or a crowd of at least Indifferent people, a fida'i can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.
He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.

Impostor (Ex): Fida'is are blessed by their god to move unnoticed by their enemies. At 8th level a fida'i gains the ability to unerringly mimic another person’s speech, writing, and behavior. The fida'i must spend at least three hours studying these three components of the person’s behavior, listening to speech, examining handwriting, and observing mannerisms. His ruse is indiscernible to the casual observer. If a wary creature suspects something is amiss, the fida'i gains a +4 competence bonus to Disguise and Bluff checks made to avoid detection.

Swan Dive (Ex): A fida'i often strikes from above like the vengeance of his god. At 10th level, the fida'i treats all falls as if they were 30ft shorter. However, if a fida'i initiates a death attack dropping from an elevated vantage point, the fida'i may ignore all falling damage if the death attack hits (regardless of whether it kills or paralyzes the target).