PDA

View Full Version : a bunch of half dragon

Raishoiken
2015-08-05, 02:16 PM
I know this has already been a question i just don't remember finding a definitive answer: can you stack half dragon a bunch of times?

torrasque666
2015-08-05, 02:24 PM
Logically, no. But there's technically nothing in the rules against it.

Ruethgar
2015-08-05, 03:01 PM
As above. The template would not really allow that from a logical perspective, but the class has no restrictions to enter and you keep it while shapeshifted since you almost always keep class features.

So without overlap, you could be a Half Dragon(template) Half Dragon(class) Draconic(class) Dragon Disciple for a total of 4 iterations of the effects of the Half Dragon template.

Crake
2015-08-05, 03:47 PM
As above. The template would not really allow that from a logical perspective, but the class has no restrictions to enter and you keep it while shapeshifted since you almost always keep class features.

So without overlap, you could be a Half Dragon(template) Half Dragon(class) Draconic(class) Dragon Disciple for a total of 4 iterations of the effects of the Half Dragon template.

I don't believe savage progressions count as class features.

Edit: Also:

A character cannot take levels in a template class if she already has that template or has taken all the levels in that template class.

So someone with the half dragon template could not take the half dragon savage progression, and neither can it enter dragon disciple, because only non-dragons can enter that

Raishoiken
2015-08-05, 03:53 PM
One of my friends keeps trying to say that since half golem and evolved undead explicitly say they're stackable half dragon has to explicitly say it as well

Totema
2015-08-05, 04:00 PM
One of my friends keeps trying to say that since half golem and evolved undead explicitly say they're stackable half dragon has to explicitly say it as well Sorry, but... the hell?

Half-golem and evolved undead both have a special note saying that, unlike most templates, they can be acquired more than once.

Half-dragon does not.

There is a failure in logic here.

torrasque666
2015-08-05, 04:11 PM
Sorry, but... the hell?

Half-golem and evolved undead both have a special note saying that, unlike most templates, they can be acquired more than once.

Half-dragon does not.

Aye, but there are folks here who say that half Dragon (gold) and half Dragon (silver) are different templates.

2015-08-05, 04:13 PM
I think the usual argument to allow it is that, unlike most templates, there's mechanically different options. So when people try and template stack Half-Dragon like that, we're talking like Half-Gold Dragon/Half-Silver Dragon/Half-Copper Dragon/etc...

Whether you think that's viable or not is a matter for your specific game. Personally, I wouldn't allow it at all; maybe, at most, I'd allow you to have two iterations, but you'd need a hell of a story.

The Insanity
2015-08-05, 04:30 PM
This thread gave me an idea for an NPC that has a couple of half-dragon templates stacked. How could that be justified fluff-wise? I qwas thinking the character could be the result of a magical experiment, or maybe blessed by a dragon deity. Any other ideas?

2015-08-05, 04:41 PM
This thread gave me an idea for an NPC that has a couple of half-dragon templates stacked. How could that be justified fluff-wise? I qwas thinking the character could be the result of a magical experiment, or maybe blessed by a dragon deity. Any other ideas?

Easy, you're the child of two half-dragons, and you lucked out when their DNA combined, getting the strengths and weaknesses of both draconic grandparents.

Crake
2015-08-05, 04:42 PM
I think the usual argument to allow it is that, unlike most templates, there's mechanically different options. So when people try and template stack Half-Dragon like that, we're talking like Half-Gold Dragon/Half-Silver Dragon/Half-Copper Dragon/etc...

Whether you think that's viable or not is a matter for your specific game. Personally, I wouldn't allow it at all; maybe, at most, I'd allow you to have two iterations, but you'd need a hell of a story.

I think it's easy enough, your parent was actually a dragon with the half dragon tempalte. For example, a half red-gold dragon mates with a human, bam, human with the half red and half gold dragon templates.

The Insanity
2015-08-05, 05:57 PM
Easy, you're the child of two half-dragons, and you lucked out when their DNA combined, getting the strengths and weaknesses of both draconic grandparents.
Er, I meant more than two templates.

Raishoiken
2015-08-05, 06:29 PM
Sorry, but... the hell?

Half-dragon does not.

Think i may hafta clarify, the friend says that half dragon would need to explicitly say it in order for it to work

Ruethgar
2015-08-05, 09:22 PM
I don't believe savage progressions count as class features.

So someone with the half dragon template could not take the half dragon savage progression, and neither can it enter dragon disciple, because only non-dragons can enter that

You can acquire all templates via ritual so you can level into Dragon Disciple, then ritual Half Dragon template, then Draconic, then Half Dragon. And as classes, the Draconic and Half-Dragon template classes do count unless you can find an exception.

torrasque666
2015-08-05, 09:50 PM
You can acquire all templates via ritual so you can level into Dragon Disciple, then ritual Half Dragon template, then Draconic, then Half Dragon. And as classes, the Draconic and Half-Dragon template classes do count unless you can find an exception.
He.... he just gave you the reason you couldn't take the Half-Dragon template class after being a Half-Dragon...

And the Half-Dragon savage progression outlined in Races of the Dragon (which would likely be more current than a web article) states that A) it has to be taken at 1st level and B) upgrades the Draconic Template into the Half-Dragon Template. Also that once you start to take the Half-Dragon progression, you must finish it ASAP​. No delaying it.

It also states that you would use the Draconic Racial class in place​ of the Draconic or Half-Dragon templates.

SangoProduction
2015-08-06, 01:53 AM
I think it's easy enough, your parent was actually a dragon with the half dragon tempalte. For example, a half red-gold dragon mates with a human, bam, human with the half red and half gold dragon templates.

Actually, logically, that would mean he's only a quarter of a red and quarter of a gold dragon. Although, you could argue it's still half a gold, because templates don't decrease how much of the original race you are, and a quarter a red.

As quarter species are not represented in D&D (as those features are lost in the other mix), they would only be half gold at best. Maybe Draconic human.

Crake
2015-08-06, 03:25 AM
Actually, logically, that would mean he's only a quarter of a red and quarter of a gold dragon. Although, you could argue it's still half a gold, because templates don't decrease how much of the original race you are, and a quarter a red.

As quarter species are not represented in D&D (as those features are lost in the other mix), they would only be half gold at best. Maybe Draconic human.

Creatures do not necessarily inherit an equal portion of genes from each aspect of a parent. Just like two half elves could actually have a elf child or a human child, a half gold half red dragon with a human could have a half red dragon child, half gold dragon child, or half red half gold dragon child. Obviously the latter would be a much rarer occurance, as you would need to get juuust the right genes, but that doesn't stop it from happening.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-06, 03:42 AM
This thread gave me an idea for an NPC that has a couple of half-dragon templates stacked. How could that be justified fluff-wise? I qwas thinking the character could be the result of a magical experiment, or maybe blessed by a dragon deity. Any other ideas?Stack it five times, because Tiamat is their mom.

(Dad was a Paladin of Bahamut with the Vow of Chastity. It was a weird night.)