PDA

View Full Version : Multiattack vs instant death

Capac Amaru
2015-08-05, 03:48 PM
Our wizard got hit with 41hp damage from an Ettercap's multiattack.

Does a Multiattack count as one attack or two for the purposes of instant death?

DracoKnight
2015-08-05, 03:53 PM
Our wizard got hit with 41hp damage from an Ettercap's multiattack.

Does a Multiattack count as one attack or two for the purposes of instant death?

Multiattack. The ettercap makes two attacks: one with its bite
and one with its claws.

Fighting_Ferret
2015-08-05, 09:36 PM
If the first attack would have dropped the wizard, the ettercap would most likely attack another creature with its second attack.

But as to your question it has multiple attacks. These could attack two separate targets or both be focused on one target.

Raphite1
2015-08-05, 10:29 PM
Ettercap does 17 damage with multiattack, if both blows hit. Bite = 6 piercing + 4 poison, Claw = 7 slashing.

Even if you rolled damage and maxed all rolls, it'd be 28 damage. If you rolled max and both critted you could get above 40, but it'd be very very rare for that to happen.

Regardless, I agree with the others: it would count as two attacks for determining instant death. So if the first hit dropped the wizard but didn't insta-kill, the second would just add a death saving throw failure.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-06, 12:56 AM
41 damage is too much damage, but it are two attacks. So probably not instant death but 1 failure.

Slipperychicken
2015-08-06, 01:36 PM
Regardless, I agree with the others: it would count as two attacks for determining instant death. So if the first hit dropped the wizard but didn't insta-kill, the second would just add a death saving throw failure.

Agreeing, though a critical hit against a dying wizard would add two failures instead of one.

2022-02-24, 05:07 PM

Note that attacks within 5 feet inflicts two failures, not just one.

JLandan
2022-02-24, 07:20 PM
Note that attacks within 5 feet inflicts two failures, not just one.

This rule isn't in the PH. Where did you read it?

PhantomSoul
2022-02-24, 07:28 PM
This rule isn't in the PH. Where did you read it?

I think it's a twist/mix of two rules:

Damage at 0 Hit Points. If you take any damage while
you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw
failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer
two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds
your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death.
(PHB 197)

+

UNCONSCIOUS
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
Any attack that hits the creature is a critical
hit if the attacker is within 5 feet
of the creature.
(PHB 292)

It's usually right, as long as the attack successfully hit (and therefore was a crit and therefore deal two Death Saving Throw Failures).

JLandan
2022-02-24, 07:54 PM
I think it's a twist/mix of two rules:

(PHB 197)

+

(PHB 292)

It's usually right, as long as the attack successfully hit (and therefore was a crit and therefore deal two Death Saving Throw Failures).

So the post is correct! 2097 called the shot.

It's funny though, the unconscious condition RAW still allows for Dex mod to AC. I think I would house rule that it doesn't.

Keravath
2022-02-24, 08:55 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that even at zero hit points if the damage that would be done exceeds the character's hit point maximum, the character is instantly killed anyway. This is made more likely because attacks within 5' are considered crits against unconscious targets.

"Damage at 0 Hit Points. If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death."

So in the Ettercap example, if the first attack took the wizard to zero then the second attack against the unconscious wizard would be an automatic critical and if the total damage exceeded the wizards hit point maximum they would instantly die.

Example: A level 2 wizard with 14 con would have 14 hit points using average hit points. A level 3 with 12 con would have 17.

An Ettercap bite does 2d8+2 - as much as 18 without a crit. The claw does 2d4+2 but on a crit would be 4d4+2 - again max 18. So it is possible for the first attack to take a wizard to zero hit points and the second to instantly kill them.

If the claw was done first, a crit from the bite would also be able to kill them. So although it might be unlucky, it isn't impossible or necessarily that unlikely, especially for a wizard with a lower con.

Osuniev
2022-02-25, 09:37 AM
So the post is correct! 2097 called the shot.

It's funny though, the unconscious condition RAW still allows for Dex mod to AC. I think I would house rule that it doesn't.

Yes, it's basically a choice of simplicity (instead of substracting your DEX mod and your shield from your AC, just give advantage to the attacker and call it a day...)

My house rules :
I basically just ask the PC "what armor are you wearing ?" and consider it's a (critical) hit if it's above the unmodified armor minimum. I keep the advantage since they are prone anyway.

(Also, if it happens Out of Combat, I would consider it instant death. You cannot really fail to slit the throat of an unconscious enemy if you can take your time to do it. I justify the "you cna still miss" in combat by the idea that you're constantly dodging the other combatants attempts to kill you.)

PhantomSoul
2022-02-25, 09:42 AM
My house rules :
I basically just ask the PC "what armor are you wearing ?" and consider it's a (critical) hit if it's above the unmodified armor minimum. I keep the advantage since they are prone anyway.

Oh, that's a cool way to go about it! Still with advantage on the attack, presumably?

Osuniev
2022-02-25, 11:33 AM
Oh, that's a cool way to go about it! Still with advantage on the attack, presumably?

Yes, like i said : since they are prone anyway, conscious or not, the attacker should get advantage.

PhantomSoul
2022-02-25, 11:39 AM
Yes, like i said : since they are prone anyway, conscious or not, the attacker should get advantage.

That's what I figured!

Peelee
2022-02-26, 09:03 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: This thread instantly died.