PDA

View Full Version : Books Modern Native American Memoir?

Palanan
2015-08-05, 10:07 PM
I'm looking for recommendations on books by current Native American writers, especially from a younger perspective. I'm familiar with authors like Leslie Marmon Silko and N. Scott Momaday, but they're a generation back at this point, and I don't even know where to start with the younger writers.

I'd be especially interested in Native Americans who live and work as young professionals in mainstream America, if there's anyone writing today who fits that description. If that's a little too specific, then recommendations for up-and-coming writers would be fine.

An Enemy Spy
2015-08-06, 03:11 PM
Sherman Alexie is a fantastic writer. He has a very good novel called The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian. The story and main character are heavily based on his real life.

Cristo Meyers
2015-08-06, 03:26 PM
Sherman Alexie is a fantastic writer. He has a very good novel called The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian. The story and main character are heavily based on his real life.

'Lone Ranger and Tonto: Fist-Fight in Heaven' by him also comes recommended.

brionl
2015-08-12, 12:00 PM
'Lone Ranger and Tonto: Fist-Fight in Heaven' by him also comes recommended.

I read that one for my English Lit class, and it was pretty good. ISTR that most of the stories in that are at least semi-autobiographical as well.

Takver
2015-08-21, 04:28 AM
Just last year I took an English course with an instructor who was Native herself, & who assigned several Native authors. None of them were exactly young, but there are some who are at least ten years younger than the authors you named.

Natalie Diaz, who's written some great poetry. Check out her book When My Brother Was an Aztec.

Natanya Pulley, writer of fiction and nonfiction. Her short memoir(ish) Way of Wounds has so much to it.

Aaand that's all I can think of for now--everyone else was older, or non-Native. Good luck!