PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Slaver Classes?

kalos72
2015-08-06, 09:37 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on anti-slaver classes?

My group has one guy that was "captured as slave as a young boy" and now wants to be the "anti-slaver" type. Thought a specific class would add more flavor then just adding it his history.

His "side job" will be locating slaver rings, freeing the slaves and then wiping out the ring.

Nifft
2015-08-06, 09:47 AM
1 - Absolutely any class is appropriate for that motivation. You don't need a mechanical field on your character sheet to have a special word in it for you to be an anti-slavery Wizard or Druid or whatever.

2 - That said, take a look at the Paladin of Freedom or Holy Liberator.

Red Fel
2015-08-06, 09:50 AM
You could use the Urban Ranger variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er), and take "slavers" as a Favored Enemy Organization.

That said... Slavers are people. Horrible, horrible people, true, but just people. They're not undead, or other specific creature-types that get particular classes designed around killing them. They're not spellcasters, against whom particular tactics are effective and others are not. Slaver is merely a profession, and I don't know of many - or any - classes designed to kill slavers, any more than there would be classes to kill sailors, blacksmiths, or back-alley organ transplant doctors.

That said, though, there are some classes designed around being a former slave trained as a gladiator. The Thayan Gladiator PrC, for example, is a class designed around someone who grew up in slave fighting pits and developed a particularly brutal unarmed fighting style. (It does require you to be Evil and have a natural weapon, though.)

dysprosium
2015-08-06, 09:58 AM
Not so much a class but an organization out of Dragon Magazine was designed to root out slave rings.

Issue 352 had the Burning Gauntlet Sisterhood. Their entire organization is based upon what sounds like the OP is looking for. (And despite the name, men are welcome to join the organization.)

But as others have said, all classes can be used with an anti slavery cause.

Geddy2112
2015-08-06, 10:11 AM
Pathfinder has the rogue-archetype liberator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/liberator-rogue-archetype) as well as the liberator prestige class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/liberator) both of which are very anti slaver in fluff and mechanics.

Ruethgar
2015-08-06, 11:11 AM
The Battle Dancer fluff from Dragon Compendium says that the style was developed by slaves to free themselves, but that isn't exactly in the same line.

Totema
2015-08-06, 11:23 AM
If Pathfinder material is available, the Cavalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier) has a lot of orders devoted to protecting the downtrodden of society.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-08-06, 11:52 AM
Not the shining star mechanically, but someone who was oppressed by law might swing all the way and be a CN Incarnate with a special focus on ending slavery and opposing slavers.

JW86
2015-08-06, 12:07 PM
My character in my first campaign was pretty much this - taken from his family as a young boy by slavers, and as an adult was hell-bent on freeing slaves and killing slavers.

He was an Orc Barbarian. His name was Zakulnar Thrombeksson, and his Greatsword was called Chainbreaker, which he used to literally break the chains that were used to shackle slaves. DM had a houserule that everytime he came into contact with a known slaver, he HAD to go into Rage and attack. Good times.

In my current campaign, I have a benevolent Dragonblooded Sorcerer who aims to create a utopian Empire under his rule where practices such as slavery are abolished. He achieves his aims through more diplomatic means, but when required will PURGE THE SLAVERS WITH HOLY FIRE.

More about the fluff than crunch on this one I reckon. :)

Flickerdart
2015-08-06, 12:17 PM
Consider taking a spellcasting or manifesting class - you will need divinations or clairentience in order to root out these slavers most effectively, and break enchantment or psychic chirurgery type abilities to undo various enchantments placed on the slaves. Hell, you might even want access to modify memory and/or programmed amnesia to lessen the impact their traumatic time as slaves has on their minds.

Palanan
2015-08-06, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Nifft
...take a look at the Paladin of Freedom or Holy Liberator.

I'll second the Paladin of Freedom, which is thematically perfect for this sort of thing. I had a dwarven paladin of freedom in one campaign who was all about liberating slaves.

nedz
2015-08-06, 01:53 PM
Some setting information would be useful — list of deities basically.

Play a Cleric of a suitable deity — or Concept of freedom.

kalos72
2015-08-06, 02:02 PM
Its a Forgotten Realms 3.5 from a rules/books perspective but 4E story line modifications - City of Neverwinter Reborn type.

Great ideas so far, thank you all for your input. Looks like this guy has some reading to do. :)

bekeleven
2015-08-06, 02:48 PM
Chastity Domain (Lathander, Selune, Sharindlar) lets you auto-dispel stuff targeting you and has defensive domain spells (shield of faith, break enchant) although most of them are on base cleric list. Its 9th is mind blank though.

Courage Domain (Arvoreen, Clangeddin, Gaerdal) grants bonuses vs. fear and spells like Heroism.

Let's see... Creation domain gives minor/major creation, among other useful spells. Liberation Domain lets you reroll saves, and grants mind blank at 8th, but not much new otherwise (undetecticable alignment, freedom of movement, etc). Mind Domain gives bonuses on Bluff, Diplo and Sense Motive as well as spells like detect thoughts, telepathic bond, and mind blank (again); Truth domain is similar. Travel domain you know.

I can't find a freedom domain. Doesn't it seem like there should be a freedom domain? Closest I saw was chaos domain.

Telonius
2015-08-06, 04:15 PM
"Free the slaves" is generally a goal, not a class. Paladin of Freedom, and possibly certain Clerics, could make it an over-arching theme, but you could make just about any class into a slaver-hunter. I'd suggest asking yourself how you picturing him tracking down the slavers and freeing the slaves. Is he ambushing them on the way to market? Assassinating people who buy them? Raining down eldritch fury on the slave market? Using magitech to make slavery an obsolete economic system? Any one of those could work, and each would imply a different class.

Malimar
2015-08-06, 04:18 PM
I can't find a freedom domain. Doesn't it seem like there should be a freedom domain? Closest I saw was chaos domain.

Spell Compendium has the Liberation domain.

Sayt
2015-08-06, 04:38 PM
Races of Stone has the Goliath Liberator. It's Anti-slaver, but on a very narrow, if adaptable scope.

kalos72
2015-08-06, 10:48 PM
Again, I seem to fall back to the Urban Ranger stlye, although Psion - Seer style would be hugely beneficial in infiltrating and tracking a slaver group.

Blackhawk748
2015-08-06, 11:42 PM
I'll second the Paladin of Freedom, which is thematically perfect for this sort of thing. I had a dwarven paladin of freedom in one campaign who was all about liberating slaves.

Did you happen to be in Kalamar? BTW Kingdoms of Kalamar has an entire organization that does this and im pretty sure they have a PrC, though i cant remember if it sucks or not...

Anyway seconding Pally of Freedom, especially if you break out the blue facepaint. :smallwink:

DEMON
2015-08-07, 04:52 AM
To add to what was already suggested, maybe a Vigilante (CAd), or Corrupt Avenger (HoH) could catch your fancy?
Or perhaps a somewhat heavily adapted Scar Enforcer (RoD)?

None of these is an especially powerful option, though.

Reprimand
2015-08-08, 10:45 AM
You can always get your DM ( if you're not already DM ) to write one up for you and it seems like a noble cause I would say a dip in paladin of freedom is perfect unless you want someone unique.

ShurikVch
2015-08-08, 02:20 PM
Trithereon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trithereon):
Trithereon's priests oppose slavery and other forms of oppression.So, how about the Divine Agent/Divine Champion/Divine Disciple of Trithereon?

kalos72
2015-08-08, 09:34 PM
Nice! Gonna have to look that one up...

Urpriest
2015-08-08, 10:00 PM
Again, I seem to fall back to the Urban Ranger stlye, although Psion - Seer style would be hugely beneficial in infiltrating and tracking a slaver group.

Why not do both? Ranger 2/Seer 4/Illithid Slayer 10 (probably finishing with more Seer levels) works pretty well, especially if the slavers you escaped from happened to be Illithids.

ShurikVch
2015-08-09, 04:23 AM
Why not do both? Ranger 2/Seer 4/Illithid Slayer 10 (probably finishing with more Seer levels) works pretty well, especially if the slavers you escaped from happened to be Illithids.If we speaking about the Illithids, then how about the PrCs from the Lords of Madness?
Say, Sanctified Mind will progress both manifesting and divine casting (except the 1st level), and have full BAB

kalos72
2015-08-11, 10:54 PM
Still talking this through...

One other side effect here is population replacement in Neverwinter. Assuming some 10-30% of them stay...but we would offer gold to help them get home or something. Maybe provide transport to the region or something.

But we would prefer they stay in Neverwinter...we have a population problem. :(

Hanuman
2015-08-11, 11:18 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082198/

Greenish
2015-08-11, 11:35 PM
Say, Sanctified Mind will progress both manifesting and divine casting (except the 1st level), and have full BABSanctified Mind progresses either divine casting or manifesting at each level beyond the first, but not both.

Nifft
2015-08-11, 11:41 PM
Sanctified Mind progresses either divine casting or manifesting at each level beyond the first, but not both.

Absolutely correct.

That said, it's still a fine 6-level class to finish off Psion 4 / Ranger 2 / Slayer 10, or to stick in the middle somewhere.