PDA

View Full Version : how would you make ice from game of thrones?

dantiesilva
2015-08-06, 12:20 PM
As those of you who are reading this may know Ice is the sword owned by lord eddard stark, lord of winterfell. It is said it has been passed down since the rule of the targarians and made of a material only magic and smith's could make. No ordinary person could in other words forge the blade itself.

I was thinking of combing adamantine and platinum for the blade and making it a frost, icy burst, greatsword. But should it have more then that?

Nibbens
2015-08-06, 12:26 PM
As those of you who are reading this may know Ice is the sword owned by lord eddard stark, lord of winterfell. It is said it has been passed down since the rule of the targarians and made of a material only magic and smith's could make. No ordinary person could in other words forge the blade itself.

I was thinking of combing adamantine and platinum for the blade and making it a frost, icy burst, greatsword. But should it have more then that?

Brilliant energy if the Starks have a history of killing humans, Undead Bane if they have a history of killing undead.

Unfortunately, doing both would be pointless.

Shoat
2015-08-06, 12:35 PM
I don't think it would have such flashy effects (there's no reason to believe it'd have a frost enchantment for example, 'Ice' is just a name).

From what I gather, the valyrian steel weapons are just near-indestructible, incredibly sharp and generally very well made.
So you'd probably want to give it Keen and/or Vorpal alongside a large +X enchantment bonus and made from some material that makes it tougher than adamantine (due to being magically treated) and resistant to dispelling (since, in song of ice and fire, the sword isn't 'enchanted' and it wouldn't make sense to have it be 'disenchanted').

Troacctid
2015-08-06, 12:44 PM
Ice is not a magical sword, it's just very well made. Adamantine greatsword. No magical properties.

dantiesilva
2015-08-06, 12:45 PM
Would undead bane fit because of the white walkers? I'm still reading the books so u am not sure if the blade ever actually fought against them.

Psyren
2015-08-06, 12:47 PM
As others have said, the only thing special about them is "Valyrian Steel," which in D&D terms would mean adamantine and thus masterwork. So far they have evinced no other special properties.

Troacctid
2015-08-06, 12:50 PM
White walkers aren't undead. But no, Valyrian Steel probably isn't enchanted specifically to defeat them, it's more likely that they just have DR/adamantine.

dantiesilva
2015-08-06, 12:52 PM
Then what would dragon glass be? As that makes them explode.

Psyren
2015-08-06, 12:55 PM
It's far more likely that is a property of the walkers themselves rather than the metal. Something like "Valyrian Steel Weakness (Ex)".

Malimar
2015-08-06, 01:04 PM
Yeah, the Others just have DR/Valyrian steel or obsidian.

dantiesilva
2015-08-06, 01:09 PM
Odd I thought only fire or dragon steel could kill them.