PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/Pathfinder: What LA would this have?

atemu1234
2015-08-06, 02:27 PM
Having Speak with Dead and Detect Undead each as 1/day spell like abilities, along with Negative Energy affinity. They have other abilities, but these two are the ones that bug me.

Troacctid
2015-08-06, 02:28 PM
Neither of those would mandate an LA, so it depends on the other abilities.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-06, 02:30 PM
Being harmed by positive and healed by negative doesn't mean much. In some cases at-will healing comes online a bit earlier, but if you're in a good-aligned party a cleric couldn't heal you through channel energy or spontaneously cast cure spells.

Detect Undead is a terrible spell. If it had a 24-hour duration it would be worth the first-level slot.

Speak With Dead is vaguely useful some of the time.

I'd give all three of those class features to a character for free in 3.5, and either for free or for a trait in Pathfinder.

Psyren
2015-08-06, 02:58 PM
NEA is a wash (it can easily hurt as much as it helps), and two 1/day low-level SLAs are not worth LA in PF.

Sagetim
2015-08-08, 01:10 AM
maybe if they had speak with dead and detect undead at will and something that deals negative energy damage, like negative energy ray something like 5/day. Then I'd maybe give them an ECL of +1 in 3.5 (and that would also include the negative energy affinity).

In Pathfinder however, you could run a dhampir cleric and channel negative energy to affect living targets for example. This would heal you, and hurt living targets in range, because you are living, but you have negative energy affinity. I actually ran a dhampir cleric in a recent one shot, and he wound up not only being very tanky, but very deadly to the enemies we were fighting. Hell, he even got to use animate dead to end a fight by having goblin and ogre skeletons swarm the goblins and ogres we were fighting.

However, with what you have described, I see no real reason for an ECL, even in pathfinder. There are some really Great abilities out there on templates that are only ecl 1, or 2. To put an ecl on what you've described is to say that such abilities are somehow on par when they really, really aren't. It's a cantrip, a second level limited utility spell, and a feat (tombtainted soul).