PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Proposed Beast Master Fix #2

DracoKnight
2015-08-06, 03:30 PM
So I was thinking about the beast master again, and I think I have a potential solution: strike the archetype from the PHB.
Instead, make it a list of feats that anyone can take. You'd get them a level behind the beast master (4th, 8th, 12th, and 16th), and throw in something about using your bonus action to command the beast from the first level you get it.

The Tyler
2015-08-06, 03:40 PM
I think even one pet feat could work, with one of the benefits being that you can give commands as a bonus action.

DracoKnight
2015-08-06, 03:52 PM
I think even one pet feat could work, with one of the benefits being that you can give commands as a bonus action.

That could work. That way you're not dumping ALL but one of your ASIs into the character concept, but you get something that's better than useless. You can be the rogue who has a panther :D

Beast Tamer
When you take this feat, you may gain a beast companion that accompanies you on your adventures and is trained to fight alongside you. Choose a beast that is no larger than Medium and has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower (appendix D of the PHB presents statistics for the hawk, mastiff, and panther as examples). Add your proficiency to the beast's AC, attack rolls, damage rolls, as well as to any save DCs it has, or saving throws and skills it is proficient in. It's hit point maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your character level, whichever is higher.
The beast obeys your commands as best as it can. It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn't take an action unless you command it to. On your turn, you can use your bonus action to verbally command it to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge or Help action.
If the beast dies, you can obtain another one by spending 8 hours magically bonding to another beast that isn't hostile to you, either one of the same type of beast as before or a different one.

Flashy
2015-08-06, 04:14 PM
A handful of questions about the feat.

1. This feat represents a substantial damage boost at first level. Are you at all worried about variant humans taking the feat for early game shenanigans?

2. If a druid takes this feat can they still command the companion while wildshaped? This is technically a problem already for BM ranger/druid multiclass characters but this feat will make the interaction a lot more common.

3. The standard flying halfing ranger build now applies to wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, etc. especially since the feat as written allows you to choose a beast without finding one. It's sort of questionable issue, but it still should maybe be clarified.

DracoKnight
2015-08-06, 04:26 PM

1. This feat represents a substantial damage boost at first level. Are you at all worried about variant humans taking the feat for early game shenanigans?

Hmmmm...maybe put a level prerequisite on it.

2. If a druid takes this feat can they still command the companion while wildshaped? This is technically a problem already for BM ranger/druid multiclass characters but this feat will make the interaction a lot more common.

If they're the same animal, I would let them.

3. The standard flying halfing ranger build now applies to wizards, sorcerers, warlocks, etc. especially since the feat as written allows you to choose a beast without finding one. It's sort of questionable issue, but it still should maybe be clarified.

The BM Ranger doesn't have to find them either :P
Thus the Halfling with the Pteranodon.

The Tyler
2015-08-06, 04:35 PM

So do some of the other available feats. If a DM is willing to allow this in the campaign, then that's for their judgement. Maybe put a Wisdom score requirement? Proficiency with Handle Animal?

I would accept that, if only under the thin excuse of "we practice shape-shifted teamwork during downtime."

I can see why that might be a problem for a published adventure, but it's not like a DM can't plan and prepare for that.

PotatoGolem
2015-08-07, 09:42 AM
I really like this idea. I'd definitely agree with Flashy though that it should have a level 4 prerequisite and make it clear you have to find an animal of that type to cut down on shenanigans.

The Tyler
2015-08-07, 10:27 AM
Does anyone think it would be unbalancing to allow higher CR animals at higher levels?

DracoKnight
2015-08-07, 02:40 PM
Does anyone think it would be unbalancing to allow higher CR animals at higher levels?

I do. I did the math with another DM, and when you're level 20 with a CR 1/4 beast whose stats have been modified in this way, the creature becomes CR 5.

But then again, maybe it wouldn't. I'd have to do the math.

The Tyler
2015-08-07, 07:14 PM
I expected that was the case, but figured I'd bring it up anyways. I'm starting a game here soon and I think several of the players may be interested in this. I'll let you know how it goes, if/when the game gets that far.

Sindeloke
2015-08-09, 10:02 AM
I do. I did the math with another DM, and when you're level 20 with a CR 1/4 beast whose stats have been modified in this way, the creature becomes CR 5.

But then again, maybe it wouldn't. I'd have to do the math.

What if you change the modifications so they adjust properly to the creature's CR instead of being a blanket bonus?

IE:
Choose a beast that is no larger than Medium and has a challenge rating of 1/8 your level or lower. If you can compel it to remain calmly at your side during a long rest, you may spend that rest performing a special Druidic ritual that bonds it to you and imbues it with exceptional strength. Once the ritual is complete, the beast uses your proficiency bonus in place of its own, if yours is higher, and its minimum number of hit dice is your character level minus two. For each four hit dice you add, you may also add 1 to two of its ability scores or 2 to one. It is proficient with whatever level of armor you are.

DracoKnight
2015-08-09, 01:47 PM
What if you change the modifications so they adjust properly to the creature's CR instead of being a blanket bonus?

IE:
Choose a beast that is no larger than Medium and has a challenge rating of 1/8 your level or lower. If you can compel it to remain calmly at your side during a long rest, you may spend that rest performing a special Druidic ritual that bonds it to you and imbues it with exceptional strength. Once the ritual is complete, the beast uses your proficiency bonus in place of its own, if yours is higher, and its minimum number of hit dice is your character level minus two. For each four hit dice you add, you may also add 1 to two of its ability scores or 2 to one. It is proficient with whatever level of armor you are.

Hmmm...this might work. I don't know. I'd have to test it out.