PDA

View Full Version : Grapple gestalt race? (Monster race?)

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-06, 07:52 PM
Yo!
So facts first ELC 12 gestalt.
I am doing a grapple build for fun. I have acess to all 3.5 books, Dragon Magazine and similair pending on gm approval. 2 free la (buyoff)
Build so far
Barbarian 5/black blood cultist 7 // X 12 (totemist perhaps)
With Black blood cultist I gain some abilities
"Improved Grapple feat" and the ability "Savage Grapple".
I found the creature dark tentacle (MM2) but I think its gonna be a tad too strong (12 natural attack autohit each time i grapple is....yeah....)
So I am looking for a way to solve this, perhaps another race? Monsters can be made into monsterclasses as SS(Savage species) is already allowed. So that also means that all monsters are now races for me.
Race is for grapples so it would be good with some of the following:Large, High Str, more arms and constrict. But Thats not neccesary, its just what I think would suit it being a grapple build. Also nothing magical, I plan on having an antimagic Field around me in combat

Troacctid
2015-08-06, 08:41 PM
Darktentacles aren't a legal race even with Savage Species in play. Monster classes aren't compatible with creatures that have no listed level adjustment.

frogglesmash
2015-08-06, 09:53 PM
Werebears are pretty good, it'll get you a size increase, massive str buff, and grab.

Troacctid
2015-08-06, 09:56 PM
With only 2 free LA, your best bet might be to slap Lolth-Touched Mineral Warrior on a +0 LA race for a ton of stat boosts, then just use magic to boost your size. Alternately, Lolth-Touched Goliath.

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 04:36 AM
With only 2 free LA, your best bet might be to slap Lolth-Touched Mineral Warrior on a +0 LA race for a ton of stat boosts, then just use magic to boost your size. Alternately, Lolth-Touched Goliath.

Yes loth-touched is awesome!
Although, I cannot use magic and it is possible to play creatures without LA from SS monster classes but as not as a race no. Since I am ready to "sacrifice" 12 levels on the other side I am okey with a High HD monsterclass or a up to 2 LA race

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 04:44 AM
Werebears are pretty good, it'll get you a size increase, massive str buff, and grab.
Yes thoose might be good, I just have a feeling my gm is gonna be annoying since I have lychantrophy and mess with the group..... -.-

Necroticplague
2015-08-07, 04:52 AM
Sewerms are a monster (type of snake, specifically) that both A:have the largest STR for their size (small, STR 17) and HD (2) of any creature and B: have a +20 racial bonus to grapple checks. If you advance them to 5 HD, They become Large, making an excellent Lycanthropic hybrid form (+20 racial grapple, +18 STR, +2 dex, +6 CON, nat armor +7, 5 HD)

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 04:57 AM
Sewerms are a monster (type of snake, specifically) that both A:have the largest STR for their size (small, STR 17) and HD (2) of any creature and B: have a +20 racial bonus to grapple checks. If you advance them to 5 HD, They become Large, making an excellent Lycanthropic hybrid form (+20 racial grapple, +18 STR, +2 dex, +6 CON, nat armor +7, 5 HD)
Source? :O

Necroticplague
2015-08-07, 05:17 AM
Source? :O

Serpent Kingdoms, page 85, combined with the rules for advancing monsters and the lycanthropic template (both on d20 SRD).

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 06:11 AM
Serpent Kingdoms, page 85, combined with the rules for advancing monsters and the lycanthropic template (both on d20 SRD).

Hmm, no constrict but with black blood cultist and high str damage isnt gonna be much of a problem. Just need to not get my gm to **** me over with lycanthrope, maybe if I take the +3 instead....

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 06:40 AM
If aply lycanthrope in humanoid form do I gain the physical stats, some abilities from the animal and all special qualities from the native race?

frogglesmash
2015-08-07, 06:47 AM
If aply lycanthrope in humanoid form do I gain the physical stats, some abilities from the animal and all special qualities from the native race?

I'm not sure I understand the question but lycanthropy gives you three forms, the specifics of what you get in each form are detailed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm), but the basics are
-Humanoid form get's low light vision, scent and a +2 to Wis
-Hybrid form get's improved ability scores, DR, and a selection of natural attacks
-Animal form get's the animal's speed special attacks in addition to hybrid form's benefits while possibly losing the Hybrid form's bite attack.

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 07:01 AM
I'm not sure I understand the question but lycanthropy gives you three forms, the specifics of what you get in each form are detailed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm), but the basics are
-Humanoid form get's low light vision, scent and a +2 to Wis
-Hybrid form get's improved ability scores, DR, and a selection of natural attacks
-Animal form get's the animal's speed special attacks in addition to hybrid form's benefits while possibly losing the Hybrid form's bite attack.

Yes meant hybrid xD
Now to choose what race to combine this with.... Goliath would be nice but that would be a +4 LA total
Maybe I should do a SS monster class with a monster... Hmmm

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 04:31 PM
Awakened Seawerm 7HD
17 base str gain large that is +12
Racial bonus =17+12-10=19
La 1 loth touched + La 1 mithril warrior
= +8 Str
18 base + 8 + 19 +3 from HD=48 Str level 12
Combined with anti-magic fields

Troacctid
2015-08-07, 04:59 PM
Yes loth-touched is awesome!
Although, I cannot use magic and it is possible to play creatures without LA from SS monster classes but as not as a race no. Since I am ready to "sacrifice" 12 levels on the other side I am okey with a High HD monsterclass or a up to 2 LA race

I'm not sure what you mean? Savage Species monster classes only work on creatures with a level adjustment. If they have racial hit dice and an unlisted LA, you can't make a monster class for them. If your DM is ignoring that rule and treating LA — as LA 0, then that's opening up a big nasty can of game-breaking worms, because those two LAs are not remotely the same thing.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-08-07, 05:05 PM
Another option is the Dragon #313's half-minotaur. Combined with loltouched you will get massive bonuses to Str and Con, nat armor, natural weapons, and a size boost to large with all the goodies (including a bonus to grapple).

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? Savage Species monster classes only work on creatures with a level adjustment. If they have racial hit dice and an unlisted LA, you can't make a monster class for them. If your DM is ignoring that rule and treating LA — as LA 0, then that's opening up a big nasty can of game-breaking worms, because those two LAs are not remotely the same thing.

Awaken, then use Racial hit die. Allowed by proxy from the gm. Need to doublecheck so I can play the full build though.

Dr.Manhattan
2015-08-07, 05:20 PM
Another option is the Dragon #313's half-minotaur. Combined with loltouched you will get massive bonuses to Str and Con, nat armor, natural weapons, and a size boost to large with all the goodies (including a bonus to grapple).

Yes a giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid medium with a base of 21 str would be the same as the snake.

So if there is a creature under 10 HD that is medium with a str of 21 that would be awesome!