PDA

View Full Version : Broken Dual Characters

ChomZ
2007-05-05, 01:34 PM
Yo,
this is a D&D thread for broken far out dual characters
the best I know is a Lv 12 rogue who maxed out use magic device and used a scroll of stop time, then a scroll of ethereal jaunt (to hide underground) then a scroll of summon monster 9 to summon an angel to fight for him.

I've also seen a ghost pixie psionic who did nothing but hid and throw boulders at people.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-05, 01:36 PM
Dual Characters?

And those aren't broken. CoDzilla, Frenzied Bezerker, Pun-Pun, King of Smack, the Omnificiear, they're broken.

Chosen
2007-05-05, 01:38 PM
Dual Characters?

And those aren't broken. CoDzilla, Frenzied Bezerker, Pun-Pun, King of Smack, the Omnificiear, they're broken.

Well i friend of mine did tell me about a dervish who he said was broken and could some how deal 100-110 damage on average a round and he was level 10.....

Amiria
2007-05-05, 01:46 PM
How is a 12th level rogue a dual character ?

Hmm, it was probably the DM's fault to grant the rogue access to all those high level scrolls. And even with a maxed out Use magic Device sklill he must have rolled very good to read the scrolls with those DCs (at least 37, 33, and again 37).

Piccamo
2007-05-05, 01:50 PM
Dual Characters?

A Frenzied Berserker isn't all that bad. Neither is any primarily melee build. They lack the mobility to really be effective.

Indon
2007-05-05, 01:51 PM
A Frenzied Berserker isn't all that bad. Neither is any primarily melee build. They lack the mobility to really be effective.

Unless they're fighting things that don't extensively use methods to circumvent melee, such as flight. Then they're just as capable of ending an encounter in round one as any optimized full caster.

Were-Sandwich
2007-05-05, 01:55 PM
Well i friend of mine did tell me about a dervish who he said was broken and could some how deal 100-110 damage on average a round and he was level 10.....

Dervish ain't broke. Its just good.

ChomZ
2007-05-05, 01:57 PM
How is a 12th level rogue a dual character ?

Hmm, it was probably the DM's fault to grant the rogue access to all those high level scrolls. And even with a maxed out Use magic Device sklill he must have rolled very good to read the scrolls with those DCs (at least 37, 33, and again 37).

you forget that at that level you can buy items that up you're abilities and grant circumstance bonuses.. albeit there's not much for use magic.. and he never said exactly how he built his character, but he managed to win the turny (4 rounds) and no one battle took longer than 4 rounds.

Piccamo
2007-05-05, 01:59 PM
Their ability to end an encounter in a single round is too circumstantial. At least archer types can hit spread out enemies. Meleers can end an encounter in one round if there aren't very many opponents and those opponents are fairly close together. Its even worse for two-weapon fighters who have to get a full attack to be effective.

Teilos
2007-05-05, 06:00 PM

Around 100 average damage at level 10 is good, maybe very good. But it is not exceptional. There are many builds, which can do that. My current thrower build does that at level 12 and it doesn't even need charge-chease or ToB.

Lv 12 rogue who maxed out use magic device and used a scroll of stop time

And? He haid to pay 3825 GM for it (and even more, because of the other scrolls). Definately to much to do it all the time. And he must have put serious effort into it to make the DC of 37. Considering, he can't use it very often, there is no reason to call it more broken than any real caster. Yes, it is a nice ability for a critical situation. That's it.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-05, 06:38 PM
Dual Characters?

Don't forget Spank the Monkey (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=764997)!

For those who don't want to read through the rather funny post:
23596 damage on average, in one round is all you need to know.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-05, 06:42 PM
I think he means "Duel", not "dual"

Amiria
2007-05-05, 06:59 PM
I think he means "Duel", not "dual"

Well, even if he mispelled it, it still really doesn't make sense to me.

Matthew
2007-05-25, 12:49 PM
I think the idea is that the Character was created for PvP. As others have said, it's not really exceptional.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-25, 01:05 PM
Matthew, I think you're about six pages behind everybody else. Just so you know (although it's possible you won't read this for another twenty days).

Matthew
2007-05-25, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I know, more like page nine. I'm just reading up on what I missed. As far as I can tell, it isn't Thread Necromancy or anything, so I'm just posting if I find something interesting enough or quickly resolvable... I'm just reading JaronK and Stephen's argument about Precocious Apprentice at the moment, no intention of posting in that minefield...

Bassetking
2007-05-25, 01:24 PM
Rogue 10 Gains a special Ability.

Make that ability "Skill Mastery" instead of "Improved Evasion." +10 on all UMD checks.

Drop 10,000g on a +10 Ring of UMD

Thirteen available ranks at level 10 towards UMD.

Intelligence of >12 = >+1 skill bonus to UMD

Feat "Skill Focus" Gives +3 to UMD

A ninth level scroll cast by a 17th level caster has a DC 37 UMD check.

Which you can pass without rolling, with the previously mentioned circumstances.

EagleWiz
2007-05-25, 01:40 PM
A wizard who spent ALL of his money on:
Amulet of Mighty Fists +5
Gauntlets of +6 Stregnth
A scroll of Awaken Construct.
A Iorn Golem Manual

And a MAX hit die, Awakened, Iorn Golem. And he gave it the other items.

Person_Man
2007-05-25, 03:05 PM
Anyone with access to the Celerity spell from the PHBII. Interrupts the normal Initiative order to give you a Standard action (and you're Dazed for one round thereafter). Cast a spell without a Saving Throw that incapacitates or kills your enemy. You win.

Dark Tira
2007-05-25, 03:36 PM
Anyone with access to the Celerity spell from the PHBII. Interrupts the normal Initiative order to give you a Standard action (and you're Dazed for one round thereafter). Cast a spell without a Saving Throw that incapacitates or kills your enemy. You win.

And just in case, have the Quick Recovery Feat to give yourself a saving throw against the daze. Mmmm.... cheesetastic.

tarbrush
2007-05-25, 04:12 PM
Or the dragonmarked feat that makes you immune to beign dazed. Tasty.

serow
2007-05-26, 08:50 AM
Rogue 10 Gains a special Ability.

Make that ability "Skill Mastery" instead of "Improved Evasion." +10 on all UMD checks.

Drop 10,000g on a +10 Ring of UMD

Thirteen available ranks at level 10 towards UMD.

Intelligence of >12 = >+1 skill bonus to UMD

Feat "Skill Focus" Gives +3 to UMD

A ninth level scroll cast by a 17th level caster has a DC 37 UMD check.

Which you can pass without rolling, with the previously mentioned circumstances.
You cannot Take 10 on a UMD check.
See Special.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm

Jimp
2007-05-26, 11:13 AM
See Special.

He meant that the rogue would have a base +37 mod to his UMD check, so even if he rolled a 1 he would meet the DC.

Bassetking
2007-05-27, 12:40 AM
See Special.

I don't have to, and I do it two levels before the OP's suggested build.

Also, I'd use "Etheralness", and "Greater Dragon Ally" instead of "Gate" and "Etheral Jaunt". Since you're hiring the Dragon, you don't risk the "Untennable wrath of the unhappy outsider."

Same with the use of "Greater Elemental Monolith".