PDA

View Full Version : Player Help The Centipede

Alistaroc
2015-08-06, 09:54 PM
Zarelice Faerloth.
His name is uttered only in whispers, his story only told by the brave.
He is the consort and guardian of Lireedaer Myrloth, High Priestess of Lolth and Matriarch of the Astronoth house, queen in all but name of the Drow city of Ezresh-Shal.
His past is known only to Lireedaer, although rumors abound of his origins.

Born to a poor alchemist, Zarelice was raised next to the distilleries and alembics of their home in the slums. From a young age, he displayed an aptitude for alchemy, but rather than put his talent to use, he spent most of his days outside, rooting among the fungi piles that were so prevalent around his home. This continued, tolerated by his father for a few years, but when Zarelice was 16, his father snapped. Enraged at his son's constant loafing, he attacked the young Drow, wielding a hot iron. Zarelice stood, still as stone, and whistled once. His father stopped in his tracks as he felt twin pricks in his neck. As his limbs stiffened, the small centipede crawled off his neck and up onto Zarelice, chittering as Zarelice pulled out a notebook and began scribbling furiously.
"Don't worry father," he said, his voice even and cool. "Your heart will stop beating soon. But before that, I have some new mixtures I'd like you to try."
A customer the next day found the body, disfigured almost beyond recognition, scarred and melted from numerous acids.

94 years later, nobles of Ezresh-Shal began to die, one by one, seemingly unrelated, save that they all died of paralysis. Whispers raced around the city, and tensions rose as powerful political factions began to accuse each other of murder. Suddenly, Zarelice revealed himself to the city, interrupting a major sacrifice to Lolth, claiming that he had killed the nobles, who had plotted to institute a new religion, all at the urging of Lolth. Lireedaer's elite guards attempted to attack him, only to be brought down in a flurry of poisoned blows. Lireedaer stepped forward.
"And why do you dare to present yourself to us?"
Zarelice knelt.
"I wish to serve Lolth, and what better way to do so than by serving the High Priestess?"

The ceremony dismissed, Zarelice and Lireedaer were not seen for a week. Finally, the High Priestess resumed her duties, and Zarelice was nowhere to be seen. That day, a prospective rival attempted to slit her throat as she gave an audience. His body slumped from behind the throne, and Zarelice stepped from the shadows, blade covered in blood. He tipped his ht to the crowd, then picked up the body and left, Lireedaer never batting an eyelash.

Since that day, he served as a bodyguard, right up until he was bid to venture to the surface, seeking the fabled Strand of Lolth for his mistress.

TL;DR - Badass centipede poison user.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now that I satisfied my flavor urges, on to the build. I'm looking to make a Level 16 shortsword wielding sneak attacker that makes heavy use of the poisons given by his pets, a Colossal Monstrous Centipede and a Megapede, each with a couple Permanent Reduce Animals. This requires some DM ruling, as Reduce Animal only reduces animals of Huge size or smaller, unless anyone has another solution. However, this grants two high save poisons that affect Con and Dex, augmented by self grown Dwarven Oak and Orticusp(Dragon301), for 15,050-24,080gp per animal, easily affordable by a 16th level character.

I'm thinking Duskblade or Ninja to start, some Assassin, and 9 levels of Poisonmaster(from Dark Sun) if possible, really this is a very open ended build, mainly I'm aiming to stick to flavor hopefully with some decent optimization.

Ideas:
Ninja 5/Assassin 2/Poisonmaster 9 - for sneak attacking poisony goodness
Duskblade 4/Death Delver 1/Assassin 2/Poisonmaster 9 - to use Poison Spell and Lolth's Caress

Feats for both builds:
Master of Poisons
Poison Expert/Master
Poison Specialization
Vermin Trainer

Ninja Feats:
Aleval School
Venomous Strike

Duskblade Feats:
Poison Spell
Lolth's Caress

Equipment:
+4 Feycraft Assassination Toxic Virulent Shortsword
Cloak of the Consort
Bracers of Murder
Ring of Anticipation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL; DR -
How to legally shrink Colossal animals to keep as pets?
Good Level 16 Drow builds based on poisons?
Good poisoner feats?
Good poisoner items?

Thank you for ny and all help, it is much appreciated! :smallbiggrin:

Bad Wolf
2015-08-06, 10:24 PM
Centipedes are vermin, not animals. And Lolth is the spider goddess, don"t think she has a connection with centipedes.

Venger
2015-08-06, 10:30 PM
poison handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) basically answers all your questions.

Alistaroc
2015-08-06, 10:33 PM
Centipedes are vermin, not animals. And Lolth is the spider goddess, don"t think she has a connection with centipedes.
Yes, they are vermin, but can be kept as pets according to Drow of the Underdark, and yes, Lolth is not connected to centipedes, but via our campaign lore, Tharzax has been indebted to Lolth, and Zarelice is paying the debt.

Alistaroc
2015-08-06, 10:34 PM
poison handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) basically answers all your questions.
I've looked at it, as you can see, the feats are primarily from there, as are the weapon enchantments. However, it does not give a build similar to either of the ones I posted as suggestions, nor did it solve the centipede/megapede conundrum.

Demidos
2015-08-06, 10:59 PM
Just in to post item suggestions which are...slightly relevant to your question (it helps with your build, at least?)

The Amulet of Tears (1.2 k), Cloak of Shadows (6 k, DOTU), and anklets of translocation (1.4 k) are all items you should never leave home without, granting respectable bonus HP (though less notable at this level), and short range tactical teleportation, a must for a melee fighter. Since it seems you are vaguely sneaky and assassin based, I

For classes, consider Swordsage as a nice way to add a good amount of extra damage. Are you using level buy-off to get rid of the Drow LA? If so, you might also consider the Dark template for some hide in plain sight and bonuses to hide, for only a +1. You might also consider the Mosquito's Bite Skill trick, which admittedly interacts strangely with poison, but it might be interesting. If you can get some sort of eternal wand (would have to be homebrewed) or scroll of tenser's transformation, it'd be pretty good.

Alistaroc
2015-08-06, 11:29 PM
Just in to post item suggestions which are...slightly relevant to your question (it helps with your build, at least?)

The Amulet of Tears (1.2 k), Cloak of Shadows (6 k, DOTU), and anklets of translocation (1.4 k) are all items you should never leave home without, granting respectable bonus HP (though less notable at this level), and short range tactical teleportation, a must for a melee fighter. Since it seems you are vaguely sneaky and assassin based, I

For classes, consider Swordsage as a nice way to add a good amount of extra damage. Are you using level buy-off to get rid of the Drow LA? If so, you might also consider the Dark template for some hide in plain sight and bonuses to hide, for only a +1. You might also consider the Mosquito's Bite Skill trick, which admittedly interacts strangely with poison, but it might be interesting. If you can get some sort of eternal wand (would have to be homebrewed) or scroll of tenser's transformation, it'd be pretty good.
All those items look quite nice! :smallbiggrin:
We have our own wonky form of level buyoff, but for the sake of simplicity, yes. That Dark template looks nice... although I may spring for the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis instead.:smalltongue:
Mosquito's Bite is interesting, I definitely like the idea. I'll take it! :smallbiggrin:
Considering our party Scrollificer can craft that Transformation scroll for 440gp in a little over half a day, I think I'll get a whole bucketload from him! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: