PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Best Pre-Constructed PC options

DragonBaneDM
2015-08-06, 10:58 PM
Hey guys,

So every fall I build a one shot to run for 3 or 4 groups of my friends who don't get to be in my campaigns but know I'm really into DnD and always ask to play.

This year I'm trying something new: building 8 level 5 precons in order to provide the same general experience for each group and cut back on prep time.

Now, I haven't decided on much for the one shot, besides the fact that I want three combats (one of which is gonna be a dragon), and a multi-act skill challenge.

What I'm trying to do is come up with 8 precons who display the wide array of options 4E has. As such, I'm making 2 of each role, with 2 PCs from each of the 4 power source that I'm using. I want the playstyles of the two classes in each role to be as different as possible.

Sorry Psionic, I'm leaving you out unless someone specifically says "I want a psychic character!" Then I'd be happy to make one! Do you guys see this as a mistake?

As far as races go, I want an optimized choices. I originally wanted two human options but dang there's a lot of races I wanted to include. Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Defenders: Longtooth Shifter Wildblood Warden, Half Elf Chaladin
Strikers: Dragonborn Dragon Sorceror, Half Orc Two Weapon Ranger
Leaders: Human Lazer Cleric, Tiefling TacLord
Controllers: Elf Wildshape Druid, Eladrin Orbizard

What changes would you guys make and why?

Inevitability
2015-08-07, 01:25 AM
Leaving psychic out is entirely reasonable. It is a new subsystem altogether, which might cause trouble, and it doesn't add too much to the game.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-07, 02:03 AM
Sorry Psionic, I'm leaving you out unless someone specifically says "I want a psychic character!" Then I'd be happy to make one! Do you guys see this as a mistake?
No. At least in my area, pretty much nobody likes psychics.

Defenders: Longtooth Shifter Wildblood Warden, Half Elf Chaladin
Strikers: Dragonborn Dragon Sorceror, Half Orc Two Weapon Ranger

The ranger is commonly called the most boring class in the game (although it's certainly effective); perhaps you should change that one for a rogue?

One of the defenders should have a reach weapon, for variety.

tiornys
2015-08-07, 09:10 AM
I'm not a fan of how the laser Cleric plays out and melee Cleric is decently similar to Warlord in how it plays, so I would personally change that slot to a Human animist Shaman (or bear Shaman if you feel that Spirit Infusion is too close to Commander's Strike). To rebalance your 2/source, the easiest option is to change the Druid to an Invoker, but I like the contrast Druid gives to the other controllers so I wouldn't use this option. Instead, I'd probably change the Warden to Longtooth Shifter or Half-Orc Fighter (polearm user per Kurald's suggestion) and Ranger to Githzerai pursuit Avenger.

ImaginaryDragon
2015-08-07, 10:58 AM
I would do:

Fighter/Paladin/Swordmage
Warlock/Sorcerer/Rogue
Warlord/Bard/Shaman
Druid/Wizard/Invoker

Delete as appropriate

The Warlock can lag in pure damage, but they're just so damn fun to play.

NomGarret
2015-08-07, 11:25 AM
I like this idea. In particular, how easy it is to come up with a third option for each role that might be more appealing than the current two. Might I suggest:

Warforged Fighter
Gnome cunning Bard
Goliath Barbarian
Dwarf Invoker

You can also change the laser Cleric to Dwarf. Swap an underused third at-will for Fun With Minor Actions!

If you want to have a melee Ranger, but don't want Twin Strike all day everyday, maybe a Marauder? You can stick with the Half Orc or use the Longtooth here and make the Warden a Goliath Earthstrength.

DragonBaneDM
2015-08-07, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Here are thoughts:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who considers Psis to be a bit meh and unwanted.

So a reach Defender seems cool, I'll definitely do that to throw things off from the Sword and Board Pally! What do you guys think is more iconic/fun to play, a Longtooth Warden or a Warforged Fighter? I'm also changing the Half Elf Paladin to Human Paladin (Reason below!)

Okay, so Rogue seems better than Ranger, maybe a Halfling since I don't have any Small PCs yet? Halflings are probably more iconic than half orcs, right? Looking over my roster, Avenger also seems like an option. I know they're not as iconic or as optimized, but in my opinion people who are new to DnD 4E look at Avenger and go "Woah. I wanna do THAT!" Thoughts here?

And yeah, Lazer Cleric would have AC problems, but by giving him Battle Cleric's Lore to balance it I'd be basically building another offense oriented Leader, which is not what I want. I'll bump Human up to Paladin and throw either Half Elf or Gnome Bard, while I love Shaman I don't think it would get played and . What should win out there?

I originally had a 12 man roster to pick from that looked super close to the one ID suggested, but building a paragraph blurb of a backstory for 12 PCs along with the PCs themselves is more work than I wanna sign up for and more options than I think my teams would need.

NomGarret
2015-08-07, 02:39 PM
8 is probably the best number. You will wind up with role diversity without having them freak out about a balanced party.

masteraleph
2015-08-07, 04:56 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3408826) from the Wizards forums (note that the internal links don't work). It's a thread of reasonably basic pregenerated PCs, with versions at levels 1, 5, and 8.

ImaginaryDragon
2015-08-08, 12:11 AM
What do you guys think is more iconic/fun to play, a Longtooth Warden or a Warforged Fighter?

Okay, so Rogue seems better than Ranger, maybe a Halfling since I don't have any Small PCs yet? Halflings are probably more iconic than half orcs, right? Looking over my roster, Avenger also seems like an option. I know they're not as iconic or as optimized, but in my opinion people who are new to DnD 4E look at Avenger and go "Woah. I wanna do THAT!" Thoughts here?

And yeah, Lazer Cleric would have AC problems, but by giving him Battle Cleric's Lore to balance it I'd be basically building another offense oriented Leader, which is not what I want. I'll bump Human up to Paladin and throw either Half Elf or Gnome Bard, while I love Shaman I don't think it would get played and . What should win out there?

Warforged Fighter
Halfling Rogue

The best way to Avenger is to play something else. They are damn cool and I wish they were better, but nothing kills a new player's enthusiasm faster than sucking, so avoid the Avenger.

Warlord and Bard are both great leaders with different feels and IMO showcase 4E better than the Cleric.

tiornys
2015-08-08, 12:25 AM
The best way to Avenger is to play something else. They are damn cool and I wish they were better, but nothing kills a new player's enthusiasm faster than sucking, so avoid the Avenger.
A well built pursuit Avenger is a long way from suckage, especially in heroic tier. That said, I like the idea of presenting some small races more than I like fitting the Avenger in, so I support the Halfling Rogue.

GPuzzle
2015-08-08, 11:34 AM
One level 5 Longtooth Shifter Fighter coming up!

Race: Longtooth Shifter (PHB2)
Class: Fighter (PHB)
Fighter Talent: Arena Training (DSCS)
Combat Feature: Combat Superiority (PHB)
Arena Weapons: Craghammer, Trident
Theme: Sohei (D404)
Background: Your Choice, I like Akanûl (FRPG) (Resist 2/5/8 Fire, Cold and Thunder Damage, stacking with other resistances) or Born Under a Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth (D366) (can use any stat for HP)

STR 19
CON 13
DEX 15
INT 8
WIS 16
CHA 10

AC 22
Fort 19
Refl 17
Will 16

HP 52/47
Bloodied 26/23
Surge Value 13/11
Surges per Day 10

Initiative +4

Speed 5

Skills
Athletics +11
Endurance +7
Intimidate +5

Feats
L1-Shield Push (PHB)
L2-Bludgeon Expertise (HotFL)
L4-Polearm Momentum (MP)

At-Will Powers
L1-Footwork Lure (MP)
L1-Tide of Iron (PHB)

Encounter Powers
L1-Steel Serpent Strike (PHB)
L3-Rain of Blows (PHB)

Daily Powers
L1-Villain's Menace (PHB)
L5-Rain of Blows (PHB)

Utility Powers
L2-Glowering Threat (HotFL)

Racial Powers
L1-Longtooth Shifting (PHB2)

Theme Powers
L1-Sohei Flurry (D404)

Items
+1 Frost Trident (PHB)
Iron Armbands of Power (AV)
+1 Dwarven Scale Armor (PHB)
+1 Cloak of Resistance (PHB)
Heavy Shield (PHB)

Includes Half-Orc Variant!

Race: Half-Orc (PHB2)
Class: Fighter (PHB)
Fighter Talent: Arena Training (DSCS)
Combat Feature: Combat Superiority (PHB)
Arena Weapons: Craghammer, Trident
Background: Your Choice, I like Akanûl (FRPG) (Resist 2/5/8 Fire, Cold and Thunder Damage, stacking with other resistances) or Born Under a Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth (D366) (can use any stat for HP)

STR 19
CON 13
DEX 16
INT 8
WIS 15
CHA 10

AC 22
Fort 19
Refl 18
Will 15

HP 52/47
Bloodied 26/23
Surge Value 13/11
Surges per Day 10

Initiative +6

Speed 6

Skills
Athletics +9
Endurance +6
Intimidate +7

Feats
L1-Shield Push (PHB)
L2-Bludgeon Expertise (HotFL)
L4-Polearm Momentum (MP)

At-Will Powers
L1-Footwork Lure (MP)
L1-Tide of Iron (PHB)

Encounter Powers
L1-Steel Serpent Strike (PHB)
L3-Rain of Blows (PHB)

Daily Powers
L1-Villain's Menace (PHB)
L5-Rain of Blows (PHB)

Utility Powers
L2-Glowering Threat (HotFL)

Racial Powers
L1-Furious Assault (PHB2)

Theme Powers
L1-Sohei Flurry (D404)

Items
+1 Frost Trident (PHB)
+1 Battle Harness Hide Armor (D368)
+1 Cloak of Resistance (PHB)
Heavy Shield (PHB)

This build is interesting to play because it, unlike many Defenders, is very Strikery, being able to open up the battle with 4 attack in sequence. However, it doesn't sacrifice control, as it is able to pull off battlefield repositions and Prone at-will, making it very annoying for enemies. In addition, it can keep them nearby if they decide to run away, or make them lose their turn if they attempt to shift away.

Basically, if you're going with a Warlock, for example, or other Strikers that don't deal too much damage, this Defender fills this role pretty well.

The main differences between the two is their toughness. The Longtooth Shifter is more self-reliable, sporting regeneration and a bonus to damage while bloodied, but on the other hand, the Half-Orc goes in earlier and deals more damage than the Longtooth Shifter.

In addition, a Half-Elf Chaladin, and its Tielfing Chaladin variant..

Race: Half-Elf (PHB)
Class: Paladin (PHB)
Dilletante: Intent Laid Bare (Ardent, D395)
Theme: Guardian (D399)

STR 13
CON 16
DEX 10
INT 8
WIS 15
CHA 19

AC 23
Fort 17
Refl 16
Will 18

HP 55/57
Bloodied 27/28
Surge Value 13/14
Surges per Day 13

Initiative +2

Speed 5

Skills
Religion +6
Diplomacy +11
Intimidate +11
Endurance +8

Feats
L1-Devout Protector Expertise (D402)
L2-Virtuous Recovery (DP)
L4-Battle Awareness (MP)

At-Will Powers
L1-Virtuous Strike (DP)
L1-Enfeebling Strike (PHB)

Encounter Powers
L1-Valoruous Smite (DP)
L3-Avenging Smite (DP)

Daily Powers
L1-Majestic Halo (DP)
L5-In Pain of Death (PHB)

Utility Powers
L2-Virtue (DP)

Channel Divinity
L1-Divine Mettle (PHB)

Theme Powers
L1-Guardian's Counter (D399)

Items
+1 Sunblade Longsword (AV)
+1 Dwarven Plate Armor (PHB)
+1 Amulet of Mental Resolve (AV)
Heavy Shield (PHB)

Race: Tiefling (PHB)

STR 13
CON 16
DEX 10
INT 8
WIS 15
CHA 19

AC 23
Fort 17
Refl 16
Will 18

HP 55/57
Bloodied 27/28
Surge Value 13/14
Surges per Day 13

Initiative +6

Speed 5

Skills
Religion +6
Diplomacy +11
Intimidate +11
Endurance +8

Feats
L1-Imperious Majesty (D381)
L2-Devout Protector Expertise (D402)
L4-Wrath of the Crimson Legion (D381)

At-Will Powers
L1-Virtuous Strike (DP)

Encounter Powers
L1-Valoruous Smite (DP)
L3-Avenging Smite (DP)

Daily Powers
L1-Majestic Halo (DP)

Utility Powers
L2-Call of Challenge (DP)

Channel Divinity
L1-Divine Mettle (PHB)

Racial Power
L4-Paladin's Wrath (D381)

Theme Powers

Items
Heavy Shield (PHB)

The main differences between the two are how they defend. The Half-Elf has a tougher punishment (3 Punishment Stackers vs 2), including one that can make the enemy take two hits in case it attempts to shift away, as well as being slightly tougher than the Tiefling. The Tiefling doesn't care so much about it, and is more focused on spreading his mark, even if he sacrifices it for constant multi-marking (3 multimarking powers vs 1). Most of his turns will involve attacking with Enfeebling Strike, making the target suffer a bigger penalty for attacking in general.

Also, an Human variant in case you want to!

Race: Human (PHB)

STR 13
CON 14
DEX 10
INT 8
WIS 15
CHA 19

AC 23
Fort 18
Refl 18
Will 20

HP 53/57
Bloodied 26/28
Surge Value 13/14
Surges per Day 12

Initiative +6

Speed 5

Skills
Religion +6
Diplomacy +11
Intimidate +11
Endurance +8
Insight +9

Feats
L1-Battle Awareness (MP)
L1-Devout Protector Expertise (D402)
L2-Improved Initiative (PHB)
L4-Improved Defenses (HotFL)

At-Will Powers
L1-Virtuous Strike (DP)

Encounter Powers
L1-Valoruous Smite (DP)
L3-Avenging Smite (DP)

Daily Powers
L1-Majestic Halo (DP)

Utility Powers
L2-Call of Challenge (DP)

Channel Divinity
L1-Divine Mettle (PHB)

Racial Power
L1-Heroic Effort (HotFL)

Theme Powers

Items
Heavy Shield (PHB)

This one is the even tougher version, if a bit more balanced. Sporting higher Defenses than the other two, it also sports out 3 punishments like the Half-Elf, and 2 multimarks (the Tiefling is only rivaled by the Dragonborn in its Divine Sanctioning abilities. It also goes faster into the fight, which is pretty good.

In addition, a pair of Swordmages (Eladrin and Warforged) for bonus Defenders!

Race: Eladrin (PHB)
Class: Swordmage (FRPG)

STR 12
CON 17
DEX 10
INT 19
WIS 8
CHA 14

AC 23
Fort 16
Refl 18
Will 18

HP 53/57
Bloodied 26/28
Surge Value 13/14
Surges per Day 12

Initiative +2

Speed 6

Skills
Arcana +13
Athletics +8
Endurance +9
History +13

Feats
L1-Intelligent Blademaster (FRPG)
L2-Eladrin Swordmage Advance (AP)
L4-War Wizard's Expertise (D402)

At-Will Powers
L1-Booming Blade (FRPG)
L1-Swordburst (FRPG)

Encounter Powers
L1-Sword of Sigils (AP)
L3-Dimensional Vortex/Transposing Lunge (AP/FRPG, get the one you didn't at Level 7)

Daily Powers
L1-Frost Backlash (FRPG)
L5-Vanishing Blade (D390)

Utility Powers
L2-Channeling Shield (AP)

Racial Power
L1-Fey Step (PHB)

Theme Powers
L1-Sohei Flurry (D404)

Items
+1 Longsword of Defence (MME)
+1 Leather Armor of Aegis Expansion (PHB)
+1 Rhythm Blade Wrist Razors (AV2)

Race: Eladrin (PHB)
Class: Swordmage (FRPG)

STR 13
CON 17
DEX 10
INT 19
WIS 14
CHA 8

AC 23
Fort 17
Refl 19
Will 19

HP 53/57
Bloodied 26/28
Surge Value 13/14
Surges per Day 12

Initiative +2

Speed 6

Skills
Arcana +11
Athletics +8
Endurance +12
History +11

Feats
L1-Intelligent Blademaster (FRPG)
L2-Improved Defenses (HotFL)
L4-War Wizard's Expertise (D402)

At-Will Powers
L1-Frigid Blade (D367)
L1-Swordburst (FRPG)

Encounter Powers
L1-Sword of Sigils (AP)
L3-Dimensional Vortex/Transposing Lunge (AP/FRPG, get the one you didn't at Level 7)

Daily Powers
L1-Frost Backlash (FRPG)
L5-Vanishing Blade (D390)

Utility Powers
L2-Channeling Shield (AP)

Racial Power
L1-Warforged's Resolve (EPG)

Theme Powers

Items
+1 Longsword of Defence (MME)
+1 Leather Armor of Aegis Expansion (PHB)
+1 Rhythm Blade Wrist Razors (AV2)

The two are again playing on the same damaging vs tanky capability. High defenses all around for both. The Warforged's tougher, but he'll be on the end of more attacks. On the other hand, the Eladrin can start any fight by making three attacks in a row against one target, which is going to be damaging.

Hope you find any of them good for your table!

tiornys
2015-08-09, 05:28 AM
Eh, if we're doing builds, here's a reasonably optimized Avenger:

Greth, level 5
Githzerai, Avenger
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 11, Dex 19, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8. --note: this is optimized for long-term play. To optimize for 5th-7th levels, drop starting Con to 10 and Dex to 15 (18 at Lv. 5), and bump starting Wis to 17 (20 at Lv. 5).

AC: 22 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 18
HP: 57 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +8, Stealth +12, Perception +14, Acrobatics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +2, Heal +6, History +2, Insight +8, Intimidate +1, Nature +6, Streetwise +1, Thievery +6, Athletics +5

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: Power of Skill
Level 4: Unarmored Agility
(at Level 6: Battle Awareness)

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
Avenger encounter 1: Angelic Alacrity
Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
Avenger utility 2: Holy Blessing
Avenger encounter 3: Relentless Stride
Avenger daily 5: Bond of Foresight

ITEMS
Vanguard Fullblade +1, Cloak of Distortion +1, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Battle Harness Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1