PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a Windrunner

Waker
2015-08-07, 01:17 PM
Been sometime since I posted in here. Anyways, I love building characters and trying out concepts. It's a goofy little hobby of mine, even if many of the characters never see the light of day. Recently I got a bit of inspiration to try and create a Windrunner from Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive.
The basics (and bear in mind I'm trying to avoid spoilers) for a Windrunner is as follows:
-Superhuman strength, agility and endurance.
-Self-healing.
-Manipulation of gravity, including intensity and directionality. Windrunners can declare that a wall is now "Down" so they can run along it, "fly" by declaring that "Down" is towards a certain point (think of it like omni-directional skydiving) and increase the pull of gravity in a local area. There are more examples, but no sense going overboard.
-Manipulation of Adhesion. Though not technically, they can make objects stick together like magnets.
-The ability to summon a weapon called a Shardblade. I don't seek to emulate all the aspects of a Shardblade, but at heart it's a magic blade that they summon from thin air is functions as a core of their identity as a Windrunner.

So having said all that, I was thinking it might be amusing to go with a Soulknife/Elocator. As for Archetypes, I considered Nimble and/or Gifted Blade. Now here is one of the caveats to my building though. Were this character to ever get actual play, it would probably be with the group I've been playing with lately, who is a bit gunshy around Psionics. I would like to make an effective and cool character without resorting to any goofy tricks or questionable rules interpretations. I have read Psyren's thread on the Soulknife (since I read anything by Psyren when I have a Psionics question) and have a decent idea of what I would like to try. I haven't ever played Psionics, so there are probably things hiding in my blind spot.

The short of it, how would you all build a Windrunner?

Psyren
2015-08-07, 01:26 PM
Traceur (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/traceur) Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) Elocater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater) sounds like it could pull this off.

You could go with a Soulknife too but other than the summonable blade I think the Psywar would do this slightly better.

Waker
2015-08-07, 02:03 PM
Traceur (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/traceur) Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) Elocater (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater) sounds like it could pull this off.

You could go with a Soulknife too but other than the summonable blade I think the Psywar would do this slightly better.

Hmm, I can see some of the benefits of taking the Traceur Psychic Warrior, though I am kinda put off by losing all armor proficiencies. Acrobatic Movements, Mobile Power and Rapid Acrobatics are all very nice, though I really wish Rapid Acrobatics came a bit earlier, so as not to delay entry into the Elocator. Weaponmaster Path seems to be the most appealing Path to compensate for the lower BAB. Any other suggestions?

Psyren
2015-08-07, 02:11 PM
Hmm, I can see some of the benefits of taking the Traceur Psychic Warrior, though I am kinda put off by losing all armor proficiencies. Acrobatic Movements, Mobile Power and Rapid Acrobatics are all very nice, though I really wish Rapid Acrobatics came a bit earlier, so as not to delay entry into the Elocator. Weaponmaster Path seems to be the most appealing Path to compensate for the lower BAB. Any other suggestions?

Ascetic Path + Inertial Armor will get you your AC back. I didn't actually realize they lost light armor too though, that's unfortunate. Maybe go Gifted Blade/Elocater after all.

Waker
2015-08-07, 02:20 PM
Ascetic Path + Inertial Armor will get you your AC back. I didn't actually realize they lost light armor too though, that's unfortunate. Maybe go Gifted Blade/Elocater after all.

Yeah, if it kept Light Armor, I wouldn't be as bothered by it. The Ascetic Path is good, but do you think I'll be able to be as good a fighter with the 3/4 BAB from the PW going into the 3/4 of the Elocator?

And what is your view on the Gifted Blade/Elocator? Any strengths or weaknesses I should be aware of? Would grabbing Nimble Blade be a good idea?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-07, 02:32 PM
If you go Gifted Blade I'd actually go focused offence instead of nimble blade, makes you a lot SADer.

Waker
2015-08-07, 02:45 PM
If you go Gifted Blade I'd actually go focused offence instead of nimble blade, makes you a lot SADer.
Focused Offense was definitely one of the Blade Talents I had been looking at when I first had the character concept. After double-checking the Nimble Blade/Gifted Blade, noticed doesn't combo that well. Of course when I first read up on the archetypes, I was just a liiiiitle sleep deprived.

Username.
2015-08-08, 12:21 AM
Aegis gets flight extremely early (lvl. 5, or lvl. 3 with either a feat or a magic item), but that's at least a 3-level investment. Soulblade/Psywar can use a feat to make up for lost levels in both progressions. It's hard to move quickly, cheaply in d20 without just straight-up teleporting; both Path of War and ToB (I assume the former is preferred) grants teleportation maneuvers, and both the psywar (through an archetype) and the Aegis (through customizations currently in playtest) can get them. Teleportation may be out of theme, though. That said, PoW also has ways to get extra movement here and there, from 5' steps to move actions.

Defy Gravity, Gravitational Anchor, and Gravitational Well are all nomad powers (Psywars get only the first one); consider Aegis-Psion. Aegis gets lots of physical buffs and perma-flight, while Psion can grab the physical manipulation powers. A trait can make up for 2 lost manifester levels, leaving you down only one.