PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dealing with a Mob of angry Villagers

Nibbens
2015-08-07, 01:29 PM
So, I'm DMing a game where my high level players are being targeted and "framed" by a shapeshifter assuming their form and murdering townsfolk in broad daylight, then running away. This will most likely happen before the PCs are feasibly able to mount any resistance to this - because they may not know they are being targeted at that point.

Eventually, there will be a mob of towns-people looking to kick them out or kill them.

I'm thinking Diplomacy checks and some good RP - but for some reason that just feels a bit bland to me. Any suggestions how I should run this type of encounter or requirements? Any suggestions for this in general?

Spore
2015-08-07, 02:58 PM
Depending on the alignment of said players the mob wouldn't dare to actually kick them out. Adventurers have a reputation for being volatile in their decisions and dangerous in combat. They would give them an ultimatum to leave or clear the case or the lord or duke or something would bring part of his army to kick you out off of his land.

Nibbens
2015-08-07, 03:24 PM
Depending on the alignment of said players the mob wouldn't dare to actually kick them out. Adventurers have a reputation for being volatile in their decisions and dangerous in combat. They would give them an ultimatum to leave or clear the case or the lord or duke or something would bring part of his army to kick you out off of his land.

hmmm. You make a good point. This particular party is a LG paladin, two NG and one CN.

noob
2015-08-07, 03:38 PM
Everyone knows lg and ng and cn characters kill only for the pleasure of hearing his opponents suffer infinitely in hell this is why they like to kill evil people.

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-07, 03:47 PM
The shapeshifter could also infiltrate the mob itself as an agitator when they go to confront the PCs.

Spore
2015-08-07, 03:56 PM
hmmm. You make a good point. This particular party is a LG paladin, two NG and one CN.

So depending on the intents of the party and their diplomacy you should incarcerate the group and see the murders stop. This gives the group the idea that someone tries to blackmail them. If they have a case of the dumbs, have the jailor be a devout follower of the god of the Paladin and mention not-so-subtle hints like: "I just know Sir Xy of the Silver Star isn't a murderer. Someone must try to get rid of you."

If they manage to diplomance another way, they stay free (with a weak NPC overseeing their activities) and start to give them clues and make this some kind of whodunit. Maybe with two main suspects (which both are roles of the shapeshifter). If they start to become desperate or cant figure it out, give hints to an old witch who can help them. She then basically just gives them a one-shot item of True Seeing (some kind of eyebalm).

(Un)Inspired
2015-08-07, 04:07 PM
Let the mob come. What's gonna happen? Are they gonna swing and miss with 20 pitchfork attacks against you?

Just ignore them and go about you business in the town.