PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #13: Graz'zt, Demon Lord of Azzagrat

Michael7123
2015-08-07, 01:34 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

Graz'zt, Lord of Azzagrat

http://gamerstable.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Artwork-in-Games.jpg
I look like a handsome demon, not handsome devil. Get it right ladies.

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Command, Sleep

2nd
Detect Thoughts, Alter Self

3rd
Haste, Hypnotic Pattern

4th
Compulsion, Polymorph

5th
Dominate Person, Passwall

Pact features:

Handsome Demon:
Starting at level 1, any creature that normally has immunity to spells that inflict charmed conditions now only has advantage on saving throws against these spells when cast by you.

Master Enchanter:
Starting at level 6, you gain an extra pact magic spell slot. This spell slot can only be used to cast a spell from the enchantment school.

Tyranny of love:
Starting at level 10, targets of spells that affect their behavior will engage in any sort of behavior you wish. Any conditions of spells that state that targets will not follow commands directly detrimental to their health do not apply when you cast them. For example, you could use the spell Compulsion (PHB 224) to convince someone to walk off the edge of a cliff.

Hell Hath No Fury:
Starting at level 14, whenever a target succeeds in a saving throw against one of your spells from the enchantment school, other than cantrips, is wracked by immense guilt for not obeying your every whim. Opponents take 5d6 psychic damage upon succeeding on a successful saving throw. After they take the damage, they are vulnerable to all other damage you deal to them within the next round.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-08-07, 01:35 PM
Reserved for design notes.

Belac93
2015-08-07, 02:01 PM
Very flavorful, but the level 14 ability+ the level 10 ability seems really powerful. It seems to be either A) you take 5d6 psychic and are vulnerable to damage or B) you have to do something like drink poison or walk off a cliff. What about giving them a saving throw to resist the psychic damage?

Michael7123
2015-08-07, 04:09 PM
Very flavorful, but the level 14 ability+ the level 10 ability seems really powerful. It seems to be either A) you take 5d6 psychic and are vulnerable to damage or B) you have to do something like drink poison or walk off a cliff. What about giving them a saving throw to resist the psychic damage?

1. Unrelated to this, I made sure that the were only vulnerable to damage after taking the psychic damage.

2. I'll consider giving the psychic damage a saving throw.

Princess
2015-08-07, 05:59 PM
Handsome Demon - When you put resistance, did you mean advantage?

Ralanr
2015-08-07, 06:09 PM

Was thinking the same thing.

Michael7123
2015-08-07, 07:54 PM

I did in fact mean advantage :smalltongue:. Thanks for pointing that out.

Illithids
2017-01-25, 12:51 PM
Spell Level
Spells

1st
Command, Sleep

2nd
Detect Thoughts, Alter Self

3rd
Haste, Hypnotic Pattern

4th
Compulsion, Polymorph

5th
Dominate Person, Passwall

I believe warlocks already have hypnotic pattern so if you want to change that it'd make more sense. I'd probably give them blink or tongues, but that's your choice.

Arenabait
2017-02-05, 05:12 PM
Weellllll... He kinda is a handsome devil, he was formerly an archdevil under Asmodeus who was sent to capture some planes of the Abyss, but after he succeeded, he abandoned Asmodeus.