PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bows & Magic Arrows

ArcaneGlyph
2015-08-07, 02:02 PM
I am considering magic bows and arrows in 5th edition and thinking as a DM of treating them as:

Magic Bow = +to Hit
Magic Arrow = +to Damage

both will hit a target requiring magic to hit.

Thoughts?

ImSAMazing
2015-08-07, 02:12 PM
I am considering magic bows and arrows in 5th edition and thinking as a DM of treating them as:

Magic Bow = +to Hit
Magic Arrow = +to Damage

Thoughts?
You want to nerve them so they need each other? Hmm, it seems logical. It does make the magic arrow an item you DO want to get. Thinking about it.

JNAProductions
2015-08-07, 06:26 PM
I'd do it the other way around. +Damage isn't a huge deal to DM around, but +Hit is.

Sigreid
2015-08-07, 08:12 PM
I would personally only go this route if magic arrows are going to be fairly plentiful and easy to get hold of since they are only 1 shot items. If they're relatively rare, I wouldn't worry about the extra power because they will still think about whether the extra punch is worth the arrow in that situation.

Paeleus
2015-08-07, 09:44 PM
I threw a magic bow to one of my players in HotDQ. It came during a moment of inspiration, so I ran with it.

[spider bow]

A sinister-looking black bow with weblike patterns carved into the wood. The thin, yet strong, bowstring is almost invisible to anyone but the wielder.

It functions as a +1/+1 bow when not attuned

When attuned it retains the +1/+1 mods but grants charges and spells. Limited charges and spells.

5 charges
2 charges - As an action, you can pull the bowstring back empty, and a white arrow will form out of hardened web. You make a ranged attack towards a target. On a hit, the target becomes restrained. If it misses or doesn't hit a creature, a 10 foot radius circle is affected as if by the web spell.
1 charge - you cast spider climb on yourself.

Seems to help out with my players style, but I'm interested when he figures out why the bow is.

Also, any suggestions, critiques, etc. are welcome.

coredump
2015-08-07, 11:54 PM
You are hitting Magic Bows with a pretty big nerf compared to any other magic weapon.

OTOH, if you feel ranged combat is unbalanced compared to melee, it might be a good change.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-08, 01:55 AM

Magic Bow = +to Hit
Magic Arrow = +to Damage

Thoughts?

Only problem, an archer would be way weaker than a melee build when you get magic weapons, it is more logical but not balanced.