PDA

View Full Version : fastball special!!!

zinycor
2015-08-07, 02:06 PM
The most awesome thing you could ever do... http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091219151122/marveldatabase/images/7/77/Dark_Reign_The_List_-_X-Men_Vol_1_1_page_14_Fastball_special_(Earth-616).jpg

What should it be the DC to throw your ally across the battlefield? What should be the DC to land? Should there even be a DC to land? Have you ever done the Fastball special? how did it change your life?

ImSAMazing
2015-08-07, 02:11 PM
The most awesome thing you could ever do... http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091219151122/marveldatabase/images/7/77/Dark_Reign_The_List_-_X-Men_Vol_1_1_page_14_Fastball_special_(Earth-616).jpg

What should it be the DC to throw your ally across the battlefield? What should be the DC to land? Should there even be a DC to land? Have you ever done the Fastball special? how did it change your life?

I didn't ever do the fastball special. It does sound cool. I'd say just an attack roll with it counting it as an improvised weapon, if your ally is pertrified I'd count it as a Greatclub.

Ralanr
2015-08-07, 02:22 PM

Depends on strength and size of the thrower, and the size and weight of the thrown.

A Goliath throwing a halfing should be a DC of 5. Why not no DC? Because sometimes you can fail a throw, either by letting go early or missing the target entirely.

EvilAnagram
2015-08-07, 02:26 PM
DC 20 Athletics check, -5 per size category the thrower has over the thrown.

Know(Nothing)
2015-08-07, 02:32 PM
This was a lot easier to get away with in 3.5, with things like Powerful Build, astronomically high Strength scores, and so on. It was a common tactic for a campaign I ran that had a Goliath and two Gnomes in it. I would give the thrown player a reflex save to stick the landing, otherwise they were prone in whichever square they hit, and took a little fall damage.

5e is a little trickier. I'd say you probably need an 18 or 20 Strength, and the thrown character would probably have to be a size smaller than the thrower. It would probably be something like, Athletics Check(DC dependent on thrown character), then Attack Roll with Disadvantage(AC of the target, or AC of the square, which I think is 5), then a Dex save to stick the landing. I'd let the thrown character take an attack at the target with no disadvantage purely out of it looking cool, and give them an extra damage die for the effort. If the characters do this enough and practice during downtime, I'd probably take away the Disadvantage on the first Attack Roll, and maybe give Advantage on the second.

Fumble Jack
2015-08-07, 02:33 PM
DC 20 Athletics check, -5 per size category the thrower has over the thrown.

That's what our DM went with, when our Paladin threw the Druid, he landed on an opponent as a Lion. DM went for rule of cool with that one.