PDA

View Full Version : My take on explosive runes bomb

TheG
2015-08-07, 02:07 PM
My master want to play core only game and I want to be an effective blaster so I came up with this:

Disclaimer: limitations
First limitation is that 1 object could contain only one Explosive Runes spell on it, second that dispel magic can trigger only 1spell at time.

Thw workaround that i found is is Prestidigitation. With The option of soil/clear it could possibly "erease" the runes in an AREA with inside multiple sheets of paper. The only problem:10ft fixed range .. This means I could be at the edge of the explosion without taking any damage but is risky.

Sample round (withPrestidigitation already active, and quick draw):free action to draw a oningshot with multiple sheets tied on it, standard action to trow it on square intersection, move action to activatePrestidigitation area clean to wipe ink from paper...and KABOOM.
Stack multiple papers for n6d6 force damage no save.

Could it work ? Do you have any avices!?

Flickerdart
2015-08-07, 02:10 PM
Nope.

Prestidigitation "lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects" and you are trying to use it to duplicate the effects of erase (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/erase.htm)

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-07, 02:17 PM
Also Explosive Runes only triggers under specific circumstances (being read, failed dispels), and the runes or what they're written on being damaged is not one of those circumstances. That's probably how Rogues safely disarm them, actually.

Crake
2015-08-07, 05:03 PM
I think he's "erasing" the runes in the mundane sense, like someone taking an eraser to the paper and trying to erase them. This would obviously fail to actually erase the runes, and thus trigger them. In other words, he's not trying to actually erase the runes, but rather, tamper with them, causing them to trigger. Thus it's not duplicating the erase spell, merely tampering with the runes and causing them to explode.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-07, 05:14 PM
Thus it's not duplicating the erase spell, merely tampering with the runes and causing them to explode.
Tampering with Explosive Runes does not cause them to explode. Only attempting to Dispel or Erase the Runes, and failing, will cause that to happen.

Crake
2015-08-07, 05:31 PM
Tampering with Explosive Runes does not cause them to explode. Only attempting to Dispel or Erase the Runes, and failing, will cause that to happen.

I like that you italicised erase when saying attempting and failing is what causes it to trigger, because in explosive runes, in that sentence, erase is not actually italicised. The erase spell CAN erase explosive runes, however, one can still attempt (and fail) to erase the runes mundanely, and thus, in failing in their attempt, would trigger the runes.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-07, 06:44 PM
I like that you italicised erase when saying attempting and failing is what causes it to trigger, because in explosive runes, in that sentence, erase is not actually italicised.
It is italicized in the first reference (which establishes the context), but not the second.
Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) or erase (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/erase.htm) spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion. "Dispel" (not italicized) refers to magical means, just as "erase" (not italicized) refers to magical means.

Keltest
2015-08-07, 06:52 PM
no need to overcomplicate things. Just use a telescope or similar vision magnification device to read the runes and detonate them.

elonin
2015-08-07, 07:19 PM
Does the first explosive rune going off trigger the others in the stack?

Keltest
2015-08-07, 07:29 PM
Does the first explosive rune going off trigger the others in the stack?

No. It would destroy them, successfully, which would not trigger them, unless they were inscribed on an object or surface that would not be damaged by the first explosion, in which case they would remain there, untampered with.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-07, 07:39 PM
no need to overcomplicate things. Just use a telescope or similar vision magnification device to read the runes and detonate them.
The spell description says you need to be next to the Runes to read them.
Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage.
There's no exception made for vision improvement.

Keltest
2015-08-07, 07:42 PM
The spell description says you need to be next to the Runes to read them.
There's no exception made for vision improvement.

The spell description says that if you are close enough to read them, you are close enough to take the full damage. It does not indicate that there is a maximum distance for the magic to trigger.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-08, 02:51 AM
The spell description says that if you are close enough to read them, you are close enough to take the full damage. It does not indicate that there is a maximum distance for the magic to trigger.
No, that's not what the spell says. It says if you are next to the Runes you can read them.

TheG
2015-08-08, 03:57 AM
Thx for all the suggestion/corrections.

However I was thinking that The spell text idicates that only The support of the exploding runes and ANYONE within 10ft takes the damage (full or with save). It seems that other objects are left untouched in this way.

If I make a single ball made of multiple sheets of paper, every one with one instance of explosive runes covering both faces of the paper, and I toss it. Could I detonate it paper by paper (with a telescope) simply reading the most external sheet, layer by layer to the last?

When detonated the first paper with e.runes destroys itself and make the second layer visible. Like a onion.

Maybe it needs some craft (origami), but seems viable.

BTW reading the runes count as a move/or free action!?

Curmudgeon
2015-08-08, 04:17 AM
Even with a telescope, you've got to be next to the Runes to read them.
The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. This isn't restricted to creatures; it's generally applicable. It'll destroy any pieces of parchment within 10'.

Keltest
2015-08-08, 04:18 AM
No, that's not what the spell says. It says if you are next to the Runes you can read them.

The wording of the spell is such that that is not a commentary on the distance necessary to read them. At worst, it creates an odd effect where reading it with a telescope sends out a random tendril of energy and punches you in the face with it. The spell only mentions that the runes must be read in order to trigger them. It makes no mention at all of how this might be accomplished or at what distance with regards to triggering them.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-08, 04:53 AM
And that's how Rogues unsafely disable the trap. :P

Taveena
2015-08-08, 05:14 AM
The Amanuensis spell explicitly triggers "writing-based traps" when copying text. It's a 0th level Cleric/Wizard spell with Close range.

TheG
2015-08-08, 05:55 AM
Even with a telescope, you've got to be next to the Runes to read them. This isn't restricted to creatures; it's generally applicable. It'll destroy any pieces of parchment within 10'.

Explosive Runes
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes
You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw). -snip-

Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
A fireball spell is an explosion of flame that detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure. -snip-

It seems pretty clear that explosive runes don't damage unattended objects, except for the one where them are written on. Moreover The trigger effect checks only if "read" and the phrase "close to the runes" implies that the object with the runes is in the same square of the target or the intended reader, as he was actually reading the paper (you get close to your eyes a book that you're reading, aren't you?), as it mention within the brackets.

The Amanuensis spell explicitly triggers "writing-based traps" when copying text. It's a 0th level Cleric/Wizard spell with Close range.

Thx Taveena, but i'm concerned about core-only Shenanigans... i remember well Amanuensis spell :)