PDA

View Full Version : Otiluke's Supressing Field(Abjuration) vs Antimagic Field

Monktools
2015-08-07, 08:09 PM
What happens now :smalleek:?
I believe AMF is suppressed by OSF

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-07, 08:17 PM
The caster of the AMF makes the caster level check, per the text of OSF. If they succeed in the check, the AMF overpowers the OSF and suppresses it where the areas overlap. If they fail the check, the OSF would suppress the AMF where the areas would overlap.

eggynack
2015-08-07, 08:24 PM
I think AMF would win out. Basically, the two effects happen simultaneously, because there's nothing indicating they don't. Thus, the OSF tries to suppress the AMF, and the AMF does the same. If the OSF succeeds, then both the AMF and the OSF would be suppressed, because those are both effects that occurred on the basis of the spells. Then, because the OSF has been suppressed, the AMF comes back, and because the AMF was suppressed, the OSF comes back. This presumably continually reoccurs until the AMF wins. I don't think there's natural one failure on those, so I suppose they could keep flickering, in which case I gots nothing.

Monktools
2015-08-07, 08:25 PM
The caster of the AMF makes the caster level check, per the text of OSF. If they succeed in the check, the AMF overpowers the OSF and suppresses it where the areas overlap. If they fail the check, the OSF would suppress the AMF where the areas would overlap.

"When you cast this spell, designate either a school of magic or a subtype of magic (such as evil spells or fire spells). Spells of that type are suppressed within the area of your spell. Anyone attempting to cast such a spell in (or into) the area must succeed on a caster level check against a DC of 11 + your caster level."

If the enemy cast OSF and stay close, it automatically suppresses my AMF.
And if I try to cast another AMF, i need check?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-07, 08:29 PM
Keep reading...

"Constant items or precast effects make this check when first exposed to your suppressing field. If they succeed, they remain unaffected for the duration. If they fail, they are suppressed for the duration, resuming function (if their duration has not expired) when they leave the area."

Furthermore, if he's standing close enough to you to be within your AMF, he would fail to cast OSF. Nothing about that spell enables it to be cast under conditions that would prevent any spells at all from being cast.

Monktools
2015-08-07, 08:33 PM
Ok thanks =)