PDA

View Full Version : Unsure what class to play and looking for inspiration (3.5e)

Defensor Pacis
2015-08-08, 12:15 AM
I've been wracking my brain for the past week on what character to roll for my an up and coming D&D campaign - and it's on Sunday. The DM specifically stated that basically anything is allowed, and he'll just nerf it to bring it in line with my other two party members. Currently, their characters are as follows: Unknown race Red Lantern (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lantern_Corps_Soldier_%283.5e_class%29), and a Dragonwrought Kobold Dragon Drinker Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/dragon-drinker-sorcerer-archetype). The obvious power disparity between those two would normally be worrying, I know, but the person playing the Sorcerer doesn't really optimize their character very well, while the Red Lantern does. I definitely powergame and am generally much more munchkin-y than either of them, but I just can't seem to find inspiration for a character. I've played a Transformer in the past(Warforged MoMF (http://dndtools.pw/classes/master-of-many-forms/)), a stereotypical Druid, ranged rogue focusing on hand crossbows, and a Tashalatora Monk.
I know that people generally hate these kinds of threads, but I'm at my wits end here. I just want to shoot the **** with you guys to see if anything gets me hyped. Tell me about some of your favorite characters from the past, or that awesome character concept you never got to play - they don't have to be incredibly strong or anything. I just want to have fun playing more than just being a unstoppable killing machine, but I don't want to hold my party back either.

I just realized I didn't mention regarding "anything goes": we're going to be playing with D&D 3.5e ruleset apart from whatever my DM decides to houserule. He's allowing Pathfinder, 3.0, Homebrew, and I don't even know what other content, which makes it much more complicated.

Fri
2015-08-08, 01:20 AM
Well, if anything goes...

To steal someone's idea.

How to ruin player immersion 101.

Make a Tibbit Warblade and/or Barbarian, maintain Cat form. Never be not a cat, so you can never communicate with your party members. During combat you Rage and stack on as much STRENGTH and CON as you can. You use maneuvers such as CRUSHING WEIGHT OF THE MOUNTAIN, and COMET THROW, and my favorite for the tibbit, DEATH FROM ABOVE. The rest of your party sees a house cat flip out and utterly wreck opponents.

Bonus: If you're a crusader tibbit you can be an INDESTRUCTIBLE cat.

Alternatively, be a wizard. Take ocular spell. Be a cat shooting lasers out of your eyes.

Defensor Pacis
2015-08-08, 01:44 AM
I was not emotionally prepared for that. Good lord, I just lost my **** harder than I have in months. 10/10 to them.
I might not do it this time, but.. I want to play this eventually. Sadly, I have to actually talk to people for this campaign.

Dienekes
2015-08-08, 11:35 AM
You can always try this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?116838-Fistbeard-Beardfist

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-08, 12:48 PM
Well, if anything goes...

To steal someone's idea.

I was not emotionally prepared for that. Good lord, I just lost my **** harder than I have in months. 10/10 to them.
I might not do it this time, but.. I want to play this eventually. Sadly, I have to actually talk to people for this campaign.

Little addendum to that Tibbit's idea, Read the Alternate Form and see that when you are in cat form you have a -8 (or -10) Penalty to your strength score, the hop on into magic of Incarnum and read the Incarnum Defence ability for Chaotic Evil Soulborns, "You gain immunity to to any penalty, damage or drain to your Strength."

Now you are an itty bitty tiny cat that is stupidly strong!

xDacY
2015-08-10, 08:54 AM
If your DM said anything goes my first choice would be a Tarrasque, maybe a child Tarrasque so you can go inside buildings without destroying them lol. But if you want to be a little more realistic then try a Rakshasa, there a pretty badass spell caster that can change shape and your true form is a humanoid Tiger.

goto124
2015-08-10, 09:07 AM
Prepare multiple character sheets, in case a few of them get rejected.

Or if someone dies.

Flickerdart
2015-08-10, 09:30 AM
If you are indecisive, why not play a Chameleon? Every day, be someone new.

I'm also a fan of the Body Leech, for one important reason - when you get bored of your current body, you can kill yourself and possess any of the creatures you have cocooned. Why go through your entire career as a humanoid when you can keep upgrading yourself to be better and better?

The Viscount
2015-08-10, 01:39 PM
Indecision was part of the reason I rolled up a binder, and it's easily one of my favorite characters. The binder in question has a level of changeling rogue due to the high amount of social encounters in my campaign, but if you bind Naberius, you can replicate most of those effects pretty easily. Binder can change almost every aspect of the character, but obviously isn't as powerful as Chameleon. Chameleon entry by Factotum is just tons of fun (yo dawg I heard you like mimicking other classes).

Forrestfire
2015-08-10, 01:43 PM
Little addendum to that Tibbit's idea, Read the Alternate Form and see that when you are in cat form you have a -8 (or -10) Penalty to your strength score, the hop on into magic of Incarnum and read the Incarnum Defence ability for Chaotic Evil Soulborns, "You gain immunity to to any penalty, damage or drain to your Strength."

Or just use ray of resurgence. Instantaneous spell that negates 1d6+CL (max +5) worth of strength penalties on the target.

Razanir
2015-08-10, 01:43 PM
Be Sir Bearington. Alternatively, if gestalt is allowed, Factotum 20 // Rogue 9 / Iaijutsu Master 5 / Exemplar 5 / ??? 1 is fun. By my calculation, you'll be able to fairly consistently do 2d4+32d6+198 damage every turn by level 20.

Rakoa
2015-08-10, 03:01 PM

This is utter gold. Can anyone think of another way to negate this penalty?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-10, 03:03 PM
Or just use ray of resurgence. Instantaneous spell that negates 1d6+CL (max +5) worth of strength penalties on the target.

Eh it can get really expensive as you would need to use the spell everytime you shift into cat form, so those soulborn levels aren't that bad (the chassis is OK for a melee character)

Not as far as I know

Telonius
2015-08-10, 03:11 PM
If you're digging the Tibbit idea, how about Totemist17/Warshaper3? Be in humanoid form most of the time, but switch over when you're ready for combat. The bad guys will never see it coming.
"Aww, cute little kittyooohhhhmygaaaaaarrrrgggghhh!"

EDIT: If you're worried about the strength penalty, just add some Tome of Battle. Weapon Finesse, one level of Swordsage for a Shadow Hand stance, Shadow Blade.

CrazyYanmega
2015-08-10, 03:23 PM
If I'm ever stuck for ideas, I always look to works of fiction and try to build around them. Shana from Shakugan no Shana? Easy, a Desert Wind/Diamond Mind focused Lesser Fire Genasi Swordsage! Too easy? Let's try Godzilla! Lizardfolk Dragonfire Adept. Done!

Taveena
2015-08-10, 03:27 PM
Another advantage of the Tibbit is that Soulborns are terrible, so no matter how hard you optimize, you'll just be a Slightly Stronger Warrior (Who Is A Cat).
(Seriously, maximum 6d4 at level 20 with Thunderstep Boots.) Either way, Necrocarnum Weapon can alleviate some of the issues of a tiny Essentia pool in addition to a Profane bonus to damage and Bluesteel Bracers squeezes a little more out. If you can get Pounce, then at level 20, you'll be able to do as much as 6d4+10 extra damage per attack! WOW.

A Tad Insane
2015-08-10, 04:33 PM
So your playing with an unoptimize dragon wrought kobold with a pathfinder class, and some thing from dandwiki?

I have no words, except that one wizard like class that loses its familiar (Thunder something, I think )

Razanir
2015-08-10, 05:29 PM

Cancer Mage and Festering Anger? (Shamelessly stolen from the Muscle Wizard)