PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Putting out the clues

hymer
2015-08-08, 03:30 AM
Requesting brainstorming aid!

In the typical pseudo-medieval world, PCs tend to find out about big, cosmic stuff either via dreams or from dead people's notes. Or the villain tells them, Bond style.
I feel like I've rather over-used the usual channels. I want the PCs to know that the great unifying figure is now casting the Spell of Return (Master of Magic style - when done, he will Be Back); and that he needs help to complete it. The PCs are obvious choices to get to help him, as they are among the greatest heroes left in the world. And they will want to help him, but they have no idea it's going on.

So please, playgrounders, help me. What are the other ways? Or what are the twists that can keep the old tropes fresh?

Tentreto
2015-08-08, 03:55 AM
A simple way for the PC's to find out, especially as they seem to be renowned, is to have a messenger of some kind come to them with a proposition, probably with some proof of identity. This is both simple and cheap, and also adds intrigue for the messenger.

Beyond this, maybe meeting in person, if magic works well enough in this setting? It would be more practical.

However these have the problems of assuming that the location of the PC's are known, if they're on the move constantly, it becomes far harder to track them and thus inform them.

Aside from this, if this is ancient prophecy style, finding writing in ancient ruins is always useful, perhaps foretelling events? It might even be a natural place to meet.

Of course, if I knew the specifics more, I could apply better, but these are a few...admittedly from someone who has never actually played D&D...

hymer
2015-08-08, 04:09 AM
Of course, if I knew the specifics more, I could apply better, but these are a few...admittedly from someone who has never actually played D&D...

Yeah, it's pretty unspecific. I was trying to keep it short. The guy trying to come back is effectively dead, but powerful enough to return with a bit of help. He can't communicate directly (well, if I/we can't think of anything else, he will have to do so, I guess).

The God Emperor Aurelian, as he is properly named, stitched together a mighty empire in his lifetime. This was a goal in itself, creating peace and prosperity, but also a means for preparing himself for a fight with other, similarly powerful beings (a demon lord, an extremely secretive lich, and an ancient dragon). About a century ago, he was murdered by agents of one of those beings (the lich), because he was considered too successful, having such vast resources to draw on from his empire. Rather than dying, he turned into a star. His empire largely disintegrated without him, and the PCs are the greatest heroes of one of the former provinces. That province is under heavy attack (though there's a current lull in the action after they beat back the latest invasion) from the dragon's forces, but it is still the most coherent part of the old empire. It would make sense for the God Emperor to return to earth in that province. The province also holds an enigmatic Tower of Magic, which all of the mighty beings would like to control.
The question is, from a story perspective, how do I make the PCs aware that their help is needed? Preferably without resorting to an old researcher's ledgers, or a dream sent by the God Emperor.

Fri
2015-08-08, 04:40 AM
A dead man's switch?

By dead man's switch I'm referring to things that activate when you die thingy. Like things people in risk often threathen their enemies with. "If I die, a program will send all of the incriminating evidence to all major news agent" thing. Usually in real life it's something that have to be "pressed" by the owner every few days/weeks/months and if it's not pressed in a month it will automatically active. Or in fiction, sometimes it's tied to a character's heart or something in that line.

Dunno the details to make it specific to your story though.

hymer
2015-08-08, 04:46 AM
@ Fri: The PCs will want to do the job, though. They don't need to be coerced. Maybe a reverse use could do something. A villain threatens them, trying to get them to do something in the opposite direction. Hmm...

Fri
2015-08-08, 08:10 AM
No, you misread my intention. By dead man's switch I mean the emperor's dead man's switch

Like... dunno, the emperor set up that there's a secret ritual he have to do every year (or 5 years or 10 years). If he don't do the ritual, (for example, if he's dead, imprisoned, or impersonated), a message will be sent to some specific people he trust.

You can have extra requirement for the dead man's switch to activate. Like, if the secret ritual isn't performed and a certain building/altar is destroyed. Something in that line.

hymer
2015-08-08, 12:57 PM
No, you misread my intention. By dead man's switch I mean the emperor's dead man's switch

Ah, of course! I think I'm going to use that. He could have had a contingency plan, though he certainly wasn't expecting an attempt on his life. Thanks!

Surpriser
2015-08-09, 05:02 AM
If he a) was powerful b) had equally powerful enemies and c) was intelligent enough to keep in power for a time, then he WAS expecting an attempt on his life and prepared accordingly. The nature or timing of the assassination might have come as a surprise, but not the fact itself.

I would suggest having the PCs stumble over the story accidentally.
Maybe there is a cult of agents trying to completely eliminate the Emperor or ensuring that he never returns. The PCs get tasked with destroying the cult (without knowing what they are trying to accomplish) and in the course of that find out that there is in fact a way to return the Emperor.
Alternatively, have the cult actually try to bring the Emperor back, maybe as part of the aforementioned dead-man switch. The PCs could get the task to prevent this by an agent of one of the villains und false pretenses.

hymer
2015-08-09, 05:20 AM
@ Surpriser: I see where you're coming from, and thanks. But no, being immortal meant he was in fact not expecting anyone trying to kill him (and, well, the attempt really did fail, seeing as he's not dead - it was still enormously inconvenient, though, and everyone thought he died). But, being intelligent, it makes sense that he was prepared even for the unexpected.
Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, though it does come rather close to both the Bond villain and the old researcher's notes. As mentioned above, I've already sort of settled on my method. But your suggestion is much appreciated. I'm sure there will be more secrets to unveil in the future. :smallsmile:

Earthwalker
2015-08-12, 06:17 AM
While walking down the road suddely in front of the party a rip in space appears. A small man falls out of the portal and lands in in front of the group. He gets to his feet and starts brushing himself off. He looks like a gnome in golden armour and has a pair of angel wings on his back. Off his belt hang a number of wands.

Once he is stood up he seems to check himself, counting he still has the right number or arms,legs heads. Its about this stage he notices the party. His face turns to a mixture of glee and shock.
“By Pelor its you, I have really managed to do it. I can’t believe I am meeting the heros of Klatch. You brought back the emporer.” Points to one player “Player A, slayer of the red minotaur of Gelg, so wonderful to meet you” Looks to next play “Player B I know you, your magic is beyond compare people still talk how you beat Necromancer Stix, that was an epic duel” (Carries on with each player naming something they havent done….yet)

Look I really have to get a picture, people wont believe I found you. Such great heros.The little man gets out a wand and asks the group to stand closer together. To prove its harmless he will point the wand to himself and take a picture. If the party agree he gets his picture. After giving some time to talk, it will turn out the little man think its about 10 years in the future from where the players are. Looking very worried and confused once he finds out how far into the past he has gone. He apologizes takes a wand from his belt and opens another portal and disappears.

Earthwalker
2015-08-12, 07:12 AM
Grab a deck of tarrot cards (or Harrow deck if you are Pathfindery)
Somewhere in the groups adventures they encounter a fortune teller. Who sees the heros and insists on reading their fortunes. The teller gets out the deck and for the first player lays out three cards.
One is the past.
One is the present
One is the future.
You can write up blurbs for the present and future depending on what they draw (maybe just use major arcana). If you just make a few notes of what the card can tell them, some might repeaqt information. (Maybe separate the players for this)
The Past card you will have to work it on the fly with the characters background.
This should give them hints as to what is happening next.
e.g.
Death – Change is coming to the world. He was thought dead is wishing to return. You will play a part in his arrival
The Fool – You blissfully walk through this world with no idea how you are tied to the wheel of fate. Events are moving you will become involved in, no one can be a fool forever.
(Maybe too direct there but you get the idea)

Step 2 of all this, the players get to keep all three cards. They can be traded in for an advantage sometime in the future. Mechanically how this works is up to you. Just go with what makes sense and feels good.

Segev
2015-08-12, 08:44 AM
He's a God-Emperor, right?

Gods have cults, clergy, etc.

With his death so many years ago, his cult is probably diminished, but there must be remnants. Ancient lines of retainers still loyal to the old secret ways.

They could BE the dead-man's switch. They know the signs and portents to watch for that indicate the time for the Ritual of Return is nigh. They know what help is needed.

Maybe they're even engaged in activity that, to the standard adventurer, looks suspicious. "Cult is doing something, maybe preparing a ritual, better stop them!" sort of thing. When the PCs stop them - probably fairly easily - the cultists surprise them by laying their plan out and revealing an utter lack of evil intent nor methods...and beg for help. After all, these are heroes who would surely want to help, and the cultists just didn't have the resources (hence their possibly-less-than-legal efforts towards scraping them together). With the heroes' help, the ritual will work beautifully.

Depending on the PCs' level, they could proactively use their own divination magics (contact other plane, commune, etc.) to try conversing with the God Emperor directly or with other divinities and powers which might be trusted to give confirmation that this is really what's going on.

Once the PCs take proactive steps to call upon the God Emperor, him reaching back with dreams and visions and signs and portents ceases to feel so deus ex machina. The PCs opened the door and initiated the contact; it's THEIR phone line, rather than one dropped in their lap.

Shadowsend
2015-08-13, 03:07 AM
Art and literature would have been created honoring him and his deeds, possibly with embellishment. It's just a matter of finding it and gauging it's accuracy. It's possible it even became a celebrated occurance (think Aztec sacrifices). So you could have art created about the event itself even. (This could also help the PCs identify the location, depending on the style of the art done.)

Fri
2015-08-13, 03:51 AM
He's a God-Emperor, right?

Gods have cults, clergy, etc.

With his death so many years ago, his cult is probably diminished, but there must be remnants. Ancient lines of retainers still loyal to the old secret ways.

They could BE the dead-man's switch. They know the signs and portents to watch for that indicate the time for the Ritual of Return is nigh. They know what help is needed.

Maybe they're even engaged in activity that, to the standard adventurer, looks suspicious. "Cult is doing something, maybe preparing a ritual, better stop them!" sort of thing. When the PCs stop them - probably fairly easily - the cultists surprise them by laying their plan out and revealing an utter lack of evil intent nor methods...and beg for help. After all, these are heroes who would surely want to help, and the cultists just didn't have the resources (hence their possibly-less-than-legal efforts towards scraping them together). With the heroes' help, the ritual will work beautifully.

Depending on the PCs' level, they could proactively use their own divination magics (contact other plane, commune, etc.) to try conversing with the God Emperor directly or with other divinities and powers which might be trusted to give confirmation that this is really what's going on.

Once the PCs take proactive steps to call upon the God Emperor, him reaching back with dreams and visions and signs and portents ceases to feel so deus ex machina. The PCs opened the door and initiated the contact; it's THEIR phone line, rather than one dropped in their lap.

It might be too late for the OP, but I actually really like this idea. If you have god emperor, of course you have cult. And since your god emperor is benign, their cult is benign too. That's a nice subversion.

Joe the Rat
2015-08-13, 07:09 AM
Glad to see MoM still has some fans.

What sort of help does Leto II need to come back? Performance of the ritual? A collection of MacGuffins that were scattered / kept apart for safe keeping :smallannoyed: / were stolen / he had not yet managed to gather? An actual copy of the ritual from another wizard's keep? Access to his Tower of Magic, which for whatever reason is unavailable despite obstensibly being in the middle of his old empire?

The simplest would be that the information is held in the tower - instructions or a contingency message or receiving telepathic communications from the stellar ex-emperor by standing in the glowy circle. Now all you have to do is get them to the tower. In Master of Magic, everyone knew when you were casting the Spell of Return (and the Spell of Win The Game). So it would not be unreasonable for agents of one or more of the Big Bads to be doing something nefarious related to getting to or getting in said Tower. Your first stage of clues then is something that would direct them to the tower. It could be a copy of the gate key, which is hidden within the crest of the G-E, or a coded message on a not-so-random-and-surprsingly-tough bandit, or simply a map of the lands with a big red 'X' where the tower is.

Of course, said tower is probably protected by a variety of magical means, which turns it into a mini dungeon - or a puzzle dungeon if you want to drop clues as to how to bypass certain hazards.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-08-13, 07:32 AM
The good old "Disturbance in the Force"?

By force I mean the ebbs and flows of magic - a mage might be able to sense that a very large spell is being cast simply by the way their own casting is behaving.

You can throw in signs and portents as well - birds and animals might stop what they're doing and look off into the distance (towards the ritual site). Trees might show unusual growth patterns on that side. Weather could change, and you might have unexplain aurora at night time.

hymer
2015-08-13, 08:21 AM
It might be too late for the OP

@ all: It is, but I appreciate the ideas anyway. :smallsmile: As I said higher up, there's bound to be more exposition sooner or later.