PDA

View Full Version : Wizardry advice (turned more into a critique build thing)

Shnigda
2015-08-08, 07:24 AM
Hi guys,
I have got a wizard character at level 7 I am building as a control/partial blasty wizard. I'm away from my char sheet right now, but IIRC it is a Wizard 5/Incantrix 2 (will update in more detail when I have my char sheet with me)
What spells are good for those 'oh s**t, TPK inbound' moments?
I've never played a caster before, so am a bit unfamiliar with good spells.
I have fell drain magic missile prepared (only +1 due to a reducer and I can get it back by using Miser with Magic (Kingdoms of Kalamar p.67 IIRC)), but are there any others?
Something like the black tentacles?

EDIT:
Character build is:
STR: 6 DEX: 16 CON: 14 INT: 23 (including a +2 item) WIS: 10 CHA: 6
Race: Grey Elf gone into dragonborn
Familiar: Rhamphorhynchus (for +3 initiative and dinosaur to go with being a dragonborn)
Feats: Inattentive (flaw), Noncombatant (flaw), Generalist Wizardry (substitution), Collegiate Wizard, Otherworldly, Fell Drain, Easy Metamagic (Fell Drain), Extend Spell, Iron Will (from Otyugh Hole), Spontaneous Divination, Persistent Spell (though perhaps switch this out to get it at a later level), Miser with Magic
Also allowed to use 2 traits from this list (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Traits). I chose 'Little' and 'Iron Liver' though I could switch the latter.
Items: 2 Spellbooks, Lesser Rod of Shaped Metamagic, Headband of Intellect +2, Heward's Handy Haversack, Wand of Lesser Vigour (20 charges), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (20 charges), Quarterstaff, Component Pouch, Masterwork Spellcraft tools, Utility Wand, 6299gp

All books allowed, but no Psion levels allowed (or similar)
Homebrew of feats gained at odd levels: 1,3,5,7...
Homebrew item: Utility Wand: 1d6 force damage, crit x2, range increment 50ft, weight 2lbs., light weapon, cost 15gp

So, what do you think of the build and what spells are good for getting out of possible TPK situations?

Thank you for your thoughts :smallsmile:

2015-08-08, 07:59 AM
My suggestion is to keep one of your high-level spells prepared as an "break glass in case of TPK" spell. Here's a few good suggestions that depend on what kind of situation you're expecting (Core only for now, I'll come back with non-Core later, maybe):

1) "Lesser Globe of Invulnerability": For seven rounds, you and others within 10 ft are immune to 3rd level and lower spells. Use in case of multiple low-level casters.

2) "Dimension Door": This is less for "lets level the building" and more for "let's get the hell out of dodge". Others can be brought along if you're all touching, so stay close if you feel this will be necessary.

3) "Fire Shield": If you face elementally-focused enemies, this lets you choose either fire or cold to defend you and attack your attackers. Good for facing fire/water/ice elementals.

4) "Wall of Fire": With some clever positioning, you can force your enemy to pass through the wall multiple times; use a snake pattern in a hallway, and it can be a lot of damage for anybody trying to chase you. Best used when being chased through hallways by enemies not immune to fire; also generally good BFC for standard mass combat.

5) "Polymorph": This is the original cheaty spell; it's so versatile and powerful it has its own handbook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1096231) (sorry, handbooks (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519.0)). There's so many forms you can take, even now, and many more will become available later on. A well known one is turning into a 7-headed hydra and getting 7 attacks a round, but there's lots of options. Honestly, if you had to pick one "OH **** TPK INBOUND" spell, this is what I'd recommend, unless you know for a fact that another spell would be OP in the situation you're expecting.

2015-08-08, 08:21 AM
6) "Greater Mirror Image" from PH2: Are you being attacked? Use an immediate action to flip your attack anywhere from 8-16 middle fingers for almost a full minute while they flail uselessly attacking your mirror images.

7) All the "Orb of X" spells from Complete Arcane: These are the bread and butter of the Mailman, whose job is delivering mail. While not necessarily a "get out of TPK free" card, it makes for a good general offense, especially on a build that already has Incantatrix, so I thought I'd mention it.

8) "Sandform" from Sandstorm: If you need to escape people while in the desert, accept no substitutes. Outside the desert, your stealth/mobility skills with this spell are more limited.

9) "Wrack" from Complete Divine: It's the ****ing Cruciatus Curse from Harry Potter. Use in case of overpowered mages with low Fort saves.

Brova
2015-08-08, 08:22 AM
Not a spell, but for a Wizard in your situation I strongly recommend getting your hands on Improved Familiar. This will allow you to take a Mirror Mephit (found in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits). Most Mephits are unexceptional, getting a couple of random low level SLAs and a breath weapon. Not so the Mirror Mephit. It gets simulacrum usable once per day. That's really, really, really nuts. I'm going to largely ignore its uses as a bootstrapping tool (i.e. simulacrum of an Efreet), because those are broken. Instead consider what you could do with half a dozen extra 3rd level Wizards. Throwing down extra webs and glitterdusts, spamming 1st level damage spells, or just running around with utility options to free up some more spell slots.

Shnigda
2015-08-08, 08:29 AM
Not a spell, but for a Wizard in your situation I strongly recommend getting your hands on Improved Familiar. This will allow you to take a Mirror Mephit (found in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits). Most Mephits are unexceptional, getting a couple of random low level SLAs and a breath weapon. Not so the Mirror Mephit. It gets simulacrum usable once per day. That's really, really, really nuts. I'm going to largely ignore its uses as a bootstrapping tool (i.e. simulacrum of an Efreet), because those are broken. Instead consider what you could do with half a dozen extra 3rd level Wizards. Throwing down extra webs and glitterdusts, spamming 1st level damage spells, or just running around with utility options to free up some more spell slots.

I had considered getting a mirror mephit before, but, while my DM is generally quite forgiving, I don't think he would be happy with that XD

Brova
2015-08-08, 08:34 AM
I had considered getting a mirror mephit before, but, while my DM is generally quite forgiving, I don't think he would be happy with that XD

It is very powerful, but it's also quite easy to sandbag. I mean, you could take a month of downtime to assemble enough minions that you can kill most equal CR opponents with magic missile in the first round (even the tanky stuff like Huge Elementals nearly dies to minimum damage). But you could also just cart around three or so simulacra for utility and the occasional low level spell. It can go insane at high levels, when your simulacra can make their own simulacra, but it never has to.

But yes, I could definitely imagine a DM calling that out as too strong.

Lerondiel
2015-08-08, 09:46 AM
Solid Fog is a great spell, no save/SR/dispel.... fill a room and hold back the horde while you buff/heal/blast/run

Shnigda
2015-08-09, 06:03 PM
It is very powerful, but it's also quite easy to sandbag. I mean, you could take a month of downtime to assemble enough minions that you can kill most equal CR opponents with magic missile in the first round (even the tanky stuff like Huge Elementals nearly dies to minimum damage). But you could also just cart around three or so simulacra for utility and the occasional low level spell. It can go insane at high levels, when your simulacra can make their own simulacra, but it never has to.

But yes, I could definitely imagine a DM calling that out as too strong.

My DM has just allowed the Leadership feat and is allowing the wizard who took it to teach one of his followers spells...

Mirror Mephits could be back on the table!