PDA

View Full Version : Quest for the good game

Meeeeebit
2007-05-05, 07:04 PM
Ok, I just finished my game and now im looking for a new game any surgestions would be very apreciated.:smallsmile:

Mr._Blinky
2007-05-05, 08:51 PM
You really need to specify what you're interested in. There are so many games out there that appeal to select groups that just telling people you need a good game will likely end up getting you a load of games you might not enjoy.

Sucrose
2007-05-05, 10:48 PM
Indeed. Please inform us of the genres that you like, that those who have played that genre might answer your question more effectively.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-05, 10:49 PM
Planescape: Torment. If you have played it, do so again.

Meeeeebit
2007-05-07, 04:25 AM
Ok so genres u want... ok hmmm

Any FFs games are pretty cool,
any type of stratgery im ok with.
Im practicaly open to any type of game except
anything that involves barbie. (Yes the dreaded evil lich queen that killed ken!)

Morty
2007-05-07, 04:29 AM
Planescape:Torment and Baldur's Gate I and II. Those three games are my definition of "good game".

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-05-07, 05:50 AM
Deus Ex. The original. It's a hybrid FPS-RPG. The great part about it is that although an FPS, it's nearly freeform. There's always at least two or three ways to approach an encounter, and you can pick whichever one you and your character are suited for. And it's only $8.95 off of Steam, or you could use Ebay/Direct2Drive.

Setra
2007-05-07, 07:03 AM
Xenogears and Shadow Hearts

Two of my favorite RPGs

SITB
2007-05-07, 07:07 AM
Star control 2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php) it's free download-able game.

Oh yeah, it's awesome too.

Ranis
2007-05-07, 07:43 AM
If you have a PS2, pick up Arc The Lad: Twilight of Spirits.

If you have a 360, try Phantasy Star Universe. For the single player, not the half-assed MMO that comes attached.

Indon
2007-05-07, 07:46 AM
If you have a PC, I recommend Civilization II or IV, or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. They're turn-based strategy with a worldwide scope (Start out with basic technology, end up with spaceships and laser beams by the end of the game). I particularly recommend Civ IV.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-05-07, 10:19 AM
RPG: Baldur's Gate for the PC. Specifically #2, but if you can get #1 as well go for it (I think there's a DVD-ROM that has both with their respective expansions). I will admit up front I haven't played Fallout or Planescape (yet), but this is the best game I've ever played.

FPS: Deus Ex: A fun FPS/RPG hybrid that allows you to play how you want to play. Your options are far more than "do I use the shotgun or the sniper rifle?". Depending on your character build, you can hack into security systems and turn the automated defense systems against the human enemies, you can reach high out of the way places and go through ductwork/sewers and bypass enemies, you can go ninja and get all the stealth upgrades to be completely silent/invisible (best weapon in the game is a nano-tech sword), etc. In fact, as far as I know, there is only a single enemy in the game that *needs* to be killed.

Best of all is the suprisingly deep and well-paced plot.

Adventure/platformer: Legacy of Kain series. This one is a 5-game series, the first of which isn't very good. Excellent plot, excellent characters and acting that's better than most Hollywood A-list moves.

Legend of Zelda: Any of them. Ocarina's my personal favorite; I've played all but Twilight Princess, which shall be rectified later this year. Seriously, if you haven't played at least most of these you probably don't belong on these boards ;) (kidding.. sort of).

Om
2007-05-08, 10:30 AM
I'm currently playing Vampire: Bloodlines, fully patched of course, and I'm finding it to be one of the best RPGs I've played in years. Its easily the best since the Infinity Engine games (BG & Planescape) and the model for all 3D RPGs.

Elidyr
2007-05-08, 12:17 PM
I'm currently playing Vampire: Bloodlines, fully patched of course, and I'm finding it to be one of the best RPGs I've played in years. Its easily the best since the Infinity Engine games (BG & Planescape) and the model for all 3D RPGs.

I'll second that. I would rate it right up there with my top 3 RPG games.

Setra
2007-05-08, 07:18 PM
What's the gameplay like in Vampire?

I'm always looking for games to put on my "Get this game" list.

blackout
2007-05-08, 07:51 PM
Ok,to the guy that started the thread, in THIS order:

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War. Get it. It is fun.
Dawn of War Expansion Winter Assault. Get it. It is fun.
Dawn of War Expansion Number Two Dark Crusade. Get it-TAU! TAU! TAU! TAU! TAU! PLAY THE TAU!

:) Happiness is yours.

Meeeeebit
2007-05-09, 01:00 AM
Hmm... Im liking the surgestions here.

though blackout i have this feelin u rly like tau

Elidyr
2007-05-09, 02:32 AM
What's the gameplay like in Vampire?

I'm always looking for games to put on my "Get this game" list.

It's like Deus ex meets Thief with a bloodlust. The fighting itself could be better, but its not too shabby, and you can always ninja through the game walking in the shadows avoiding most stuff, or just going berserk and tearing people to pieces. You get a point buy system where you buy and upgrade your skills. I would have to say the maps in Bloodlines are by far the coolest maps in a FPS game ever. The atmosphere is incredible.

The atmosphere and a brilliant storyline filled with great characters makes it a wonderful game. It's too bad Troika never learned how to market (or debug) their games properly, because it's one of the greatest PC RPGs around.

The biggest downside to the game are bugs. Some people had great trouble with it, but personally, I didnt have any problems with bugs and crashes, although there are some memory leaks here and there, but in comparison, I had Neverwinter nights 2 crash more times then Bloodlines.

blackout
2007-05-09, 02:47 PM
i have this feelin u rly like tau

TAU ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY! EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE! YOUR PUNY PREDATOR TANKS CANNOT BEAT THE MIGHT OF MY HAMMERHEAD TANKS! :smallbiggrin:

But, seriously. Tau rule.

Om
2007-05-10, 06:45 AM
The biggest downside to the game are bugs. Some people had great trouble with it, but personally, I didnt have any problems with bugs and crashes, although there are some memory leaks here and there, but in comparison, I had Neverwinter nights 2 crash more times then Bloodlines.Make sure you get the unofficial patches. I've had no problems at all with the latest one.

I fully second your post though. The atmosphere of the game is excellent.

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-12, 12:37 AM
Ok,to the guy that started the thread, in THIS order:

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War. Get it. It is fun.
Dawn of War Expansion Winter Assault. Get it. It is fun.
Dawn of War Expansion Number Two Dark Crusade. Get it-TAU! TAU! TAU! TAU! TAU! PLAY THE TAU!

:) Happiness is yours.

Too complicated. Start with Dawn of War Gold Edition, then go straight to Dark Crusade.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-12, 02:55 AM
Too complicated. Start with Dawn of War Gold Edition, then go straight to Dark Crusade.

I agree. I truly disliked Winter Assault - I think it's very poor when compared to the other two. DoW is quite short, but has a very compelling story; DC has a lot of replayability value. Both are very good games in their own right.

Other games:

Planescape: Torment is the best CRPG ever. You should check it out if you've not played it.

Any of the Total War games are good if you like RTS, as is Red Alert 2 (Probably the best of the Command & Conquer series).

SpellForce: Order Of Dawn and the various follow ups are also very good, although you should be sure to patch before playing. They are a hybrid RPG/RTS.

Weebl
2007-05-12, 03:01 AM
Kingdom Heart 1&2 maybe. If you like FF i think you'll like this.

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-12, 09:52 AM
I agree. I truly disliked Winter Assault - I think it's very poor when compared to the other two. DoW is quite short, but has a very compelling story; DC has a lot of replayability value. Both are very good games in their own right.

Um... Gold edition has the original DoW and Winter Assault. Which means you buy only two games, as opposed to three.

But yeah, Winter Assault is definitely the odd one out. I never actually beat it.

PlatinumJester
2007-05-12, 10:20 AM
Legend of Zelda or Tales of Symphonia. As FPS go Timespilitters or Metroid. Also try Hitman, Harvest Moon or Wario Ware.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-12, 11:55 AM
Um... Gold edition has the original DoW and Winter Assault. Which means you buy only two games, as opposed to three.

But yeah, Winter Assault is definitely the odd one out. I never actually beat it.

Neither did I. Just couldn't be bothered. It was that bad.

I actually hated the Guard because of WA, though I learned to love them playing DC :)

Murongo
2007-05-12, 01:02 PM
Star control 2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php) it's free download-able game.

Oh yeah, it's awesome too.

Dude, sick. I played 3 like a thousand times. Good catch.