PDA

View Full Version : Copyrights stuff

Pippin
2015-08-08, 09:12 AM
Never mind. Mods please lock this.

Alasdair89
2015-08-08, 09:20 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer

However, I'm pretty sure any and all of the things you just said are fine, as they are all useable under the OGL. We can tell they are, because all of those things show up in Pathfinder as well, and a lot of other tabletop RPGs.

Things you can't use are campaign/setting specific names (Bigby's hand spells and Mordenkainen's spells got renamed, etc.) and also a couple of different monsters. The ones that come to mind most readily are Illithids and Beholders, so you'll need to check your monsters first.

Pippin
2015-08-08, 10:51 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer

However, I'm pretty sure any and all of the things you just said are fine, as they are all useable under the OGL. We can tell they are, because all of those things show up in Pathfinder as well, and a lot of other tabletop RPGs.

Things you can't use are campaign/setting specific names (Bigby's hand spells and Mordenkainen's spells got renamed, etc.) and also a couple of different monsters. The ones that come to mind most readily are Illithids and Beholders, so you'll need to check your monsters first.
You mean that I can use almost everything on the SRD, provided I mention the OGL somewhere? What if I don't mention anything?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-08, 11:02 AM
We aren't allowed to give legal advice on the forum.

Jack_Simth
2015-08-08, 11:07 AM
This is rather a legal issue, and I apologize if there has already been a thread about this.

Technically, how far do copyrights cover WotC's D&D material:

If I were to create a small videogame using Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis and Cha for anything and everything like WotC do, could I be sued for this?
What if I were to create a class/job/whatever named Psion using Psionic Points in this videogame?
What if I were to create a class/job/whatever named Bsion usiong Bsionic Points in this videogame?

Hi. I'd suggest re-reading the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), specifically the "Inappropriate Topics" section, subsection "Professional Advice" in detail.

Pippin
2015-08-08, 11:21 AM
Hi. I'd suggest re-reading the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), specifically the "Inappropriate Topics" section, subsection "Professional Advice" in detail.

I had no idea, that's my bad. I'll terminate the thread then.

Alasdair89
2015-08-08, 02:05 PM
Yeah, sorry about that!

Sacrieur
2015-08-08, 05:36 PM
Explain to me how talking about OGL content is seeking professional legal advice?

How far are we going to take this? Is even mentioning something is OGL considering giving legal advice?

Sorry but this just seems totally absurd.

Pippin
2015-08-08, 06:38 PM
Explain to me how talking about OGL content is seeking professional legal advice?

How far are we going to take this? Is even mentioning something is OGL considering giving legal advice?

Sorry but this just seems totally absurd.
I have to admit that I'm a bit lost here too. But I'm under the impression that asking any question about the appropriate use of the OGL invariably falls into the realm of "Asking Legal Advice" so...

frogglesmash
2015-08-08, 06:55 PM
I have to admit that I'm a bit lost here too. But I'm under the impression that asking any question about the appropriate use of the OGL invariably falls into the realm of "Asking Level Advice" so...

That doesn't make sense, if anything you're trying to avoid a situation where you'd need to ask for legal advice. As far as your question goes I'd suggest trying to contact WotC, they're probably the best informed on what parts of their product can and can't be used by third parties.

Sacrieur
2015-08-08, 08:58 PM
I have to admit that I'm a bit lost here

Me too man, me too.