PDA

View Full Version : need help with charge build with limited books..

animewatcha
2015-08-08, 01:18 PM
I'm gonna be rolling for stats with atleast a 9 as a minimum in each one.

Race Goliath. No templates can be added.
starting 13th level campaign in a seemingly now ( due to story events ) undead heavy campaign.
Classes: Multiclass penalty is enforced so barb 2/ fighter 10 ( dungeon crasher and feats plus limited books ). Pounce barb with the improved trip second level sub.

Purpose: Charger 2-hander with dungeoncrasher variant ( otherwise I would spend feats toward getting frenzied berserker ( more on this later ) for really high Damage per round and proving to DM that pounce is for 2-hander, not TWF.

Sources allowed : PHB 1 and 2, DMG 1, Miniature handbook, Completes, heroes of battle, dragon compendium, libris mortis, heroes of horror, tome of magic, race of everything, dungeonscape, dragon magic, book of exalted deed.
WOTC archive is a no. Adaptations of prestige classes are a no. Otherwise, I would abuse adaptations of uncanny trickster and battle trickster for bunch of feats quickly. I have been allowed to start with taint before. So possible, the least impacting taint that will be starting at moderate level for bonus feat. No LA buyoff.

Prestige classes allowed: Can't remember too many, but most were bard focused or casterish.

No traits. No flaws. No Exalted. Can't be evil aligned. No leadership.

Feats are: 1 power 3 improved bull 3f knockback 6 leap attack 6f shock trooper 9 extra rage 10f imrpoved sunder 12 combat brute 12f cleave

Items I know I am gonna try to start with ( DM has to approve and no relics, set pieces, or legacy ): an +3 18-20 crit weapon ( looking at the great falchion ),keen edge scabbard for said weapon, truedeath crystal for said weapon, backup +1 reach weapon, backup +1 melee weapon, +1 comp bow with str adjustment in accordance to starting str ( not the auto-adjust like bow of wintermoon. higher the str, higher the cost of weapon ). The armor that is in MIC that is immune to fatige and exhaustion, and a combined item of charging boots and a couple of other cheap difficult terrain boots from same book. Heart seeking amulet ( for the last iterative attack ). bunch of healing belts mainly for out of combat healing and cloak of predator ( heal during rage ). armbands of power attack, and +4 str gauntlets that have +2 to dex added on for the charge boots. If i can fit it in, eternal wand of nerveskitter and the level 1 and 2 of primal spell series for higher initiative and uncanny dodge.

PVP has happened in group before. Normally, I would refer to a charging handbook. However, such things like battle jump and valorous weapon are not available. If I didn't want to tack on Dungeoncrasher ( for Damage and crowd control ), I would have gunned for frenzied berserker without pumping will save ( nothing drives a point more home than a PW ). I will sunder loot if need be to help survive. Let's assume that I get separated from party so no assumptions of buffs or healing conditions.

Also, the DM has pre-approved the floor as acting as a wall for purposes of dungeoncrasher. However, in case he reverses that ruling quick ( I intend to make this happen ), alternate ways of bullrush please. Be it mortal combat uppercut or using a club to 'play golf.' Also what items would help?

Brova
2015-08-08, 01:25 PM
Drop some of those Fighter levels for Frenzied Berserker. Probably everything above the minimum to get Dungeoncrasher.

animewatcha
2015-08-08, 01:34 PM
Would if could. Unfortunately, need extra rage ( otherwise only 1 rage a day ), improved sunder is a feat tax. Remember no flaws, also no Dark chaos shuffle stuff. No adaptations of trickster prestige classes.

Brova
2015-08-08, 01:46 PM
Would if could. Unfortunately, need extra rage ( otherwise only 1 rage a day ), improved sunder is a feat tax. Remember no flaws, also no Dark chaos shuffle stuff. No adaptations of trickster prestige classes.

You should get the feats from Fighter.

animewatcha
2015-08-08, 01:53 PM
Already noted where I have things like 3f, 10f, etc.

torrasque666
2015-08-08, 01:53 PM
You should get the feats from Fighter.
Dungeoncrasher trades out the 2nd and 6th bonus feats. So it may very well be that he needs the ones from 8th and 10th.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-08-08, 02:09 PM
If you can use Races of Faerun, would the Jotunbrud feat enable you to take Knock-Back? If so, go with a (Desert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs)) Half-Orc and use the Half-Humans variant in Races of Destiny p150 so you won't have a level adjustment. You would even be able to use Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon).

Trade Rage for Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) if possible, the extra attack is well worth it.

Be sure to get Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), it's the biggest reason to have Improved Trip in the first place.

Say you visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Extend Rage for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it.

It's unfortunate that you can't use WotC online content, since Zhentarim Soldier is basically the only reason to take more than six levels of Fighter. If you go with the above Half-Orc suggestion, you can start with Blessed of Gruumsh from Dragon Compendium, which only requires a nongood alignment. Note that per the current errata, the text description of an ability will overrule the table entry for that class feature if the two disagree. Blessed of Gruumsh gets Divine Blessing (Ex) at 1st level: "Gruumsh, it is said, watches over his blessed ones. Thus, each has a luck bonus to Armor Class equal to his blessed of Gruumsh class level." It's a ten-level prestige class, and most of its other abilities are decent. Also note that each of the Evil Eye abilities are activated as an attack action, rather than as a standard action, which means you can full attack and replace any one of your attacks with one of those abilities.

Immabozo
2015-08-08, 02:37 PM
If you had access to the book of miniatures, I might suggest War Hulk

Brova
2015-08-08, 02:48 PM
Dungeoncrasher trades out the 2nd and 6th bonus feats. So it may very well be that he needs the ones from 8th and 10th.

Oh, I forgot that.

Honestly, I might just ditch Dungeoncrasher in that case. The extra damage is nice, but taking odd numbered Fighter levels is really bad. In a position where you can't take some martial adept levels to get something for it, I think you actually get more damage by ditching Dungeoncrasher for Frenzied Berserker. Let's see.

Strength is probably 16 base, 2 race, 3 levels, 4 item for 25. Call it 26 for simpler math, assuming a wish or 17 base or a tome or something. With Rage that's 30, for a +10 bonus.

Your bullrush (with Dungeoncrasher) does 8d6 + 3 x Strength Modifier, for an average of 58.

Now assume that instead you were a Frenzied Berserker (probably your entry is either Barbarian 2/Fighter 2/Ranger 2 or Barbarian 2/Fighter 4 if you need the feat). You're looking at an extra attack, 6 extra points of Strength, and a bonus to your power attack output. Assuming you hit with all three attacks, that's an extra thirty points or so from your Strength and Power Attack, plus twenty-ish for base weapon damage. It's a little close to what you get from Dungeoncrasher, but that's because you don't have Power Attack multipliers (that I saw at a glance).

Also, have you considered playing an Orc with permanent enlarge person? Slightly better Strength and no LA.

Finally, depending on the campaign, you might consider slipping Leadership in somewhere for a caster cohort with downtime utility.

animewatcha
2015-08-08, 10:36 PM
@Biff: Unearthed Arcana is a no. Also, that prestige class is a no along with half-orc the race ( setting reasons ). I have Extra rage, not extend rage. If I can't start with legacy or set pieces, I am assuming magical locations are a no.

@ Immab: Thanks for reminding me. I knew I was forgetting a book in the allowed list. Also, I didn't wanna go war hulk. Either Dcrasher for Bullrush + damage or FB for more damage.

@brova: Leadership is a no. Feats are with power attack in mind. This is why combat brute ( despite feat tax ) and leap attack.

Goliath is set due to very limited allowed races.

Any item suggestions?

Lerondiel
2015-08-09, 02:46 AM
Is the combat themed against a particular race? A dip of Ranger & Favoured Power Attack would work

animewatcha
2015-08-09, 04:04 AM
Multiclass penalty is enforced. Otherwise, would have dipped ranger for arcanist favored enemy.