PDA

View Full Version : Mummified creature template question

Nomrom
2015-08-08, 02:12 PM
I have a question about the mummified creature template from Libris Mortis. I was trying to apply this template to the wasteland troll from Sandstorm and wasn't sure I understood how to handle the special attacks and qualities. The template seems to indicate that the base creature does not lose any special attacks or qualities. I wanted to confirm this is true. It seems kind of weird to me that the undead troll body would still be sensitive to light and able to regenerate itself, but nothing in the text seems to justify that feeling.

Also, the troll has darkvision 90 ft, while all undead have darkvision 60 ft. Will the mummifed troll have darkvision 90 ft or darkvision 60 ft?

Finally, if a template adds an ability like fast healing to a creature that already has that ability, do these abilites stack, does it take the best value, or does it take the template value whether its better or not?

Thanks for any assistance. It's been a long time I since I played and I seem to have forgotten a bunch of things.

rockdeworld
2015-08-08, 07:32 PM
The template seems to indicate that the base creature does not lose any special attacks or qualities.
Correct. It would say if they did (edit: except for Con - meaning it can't have regeneration).

I don't get what you mean by vulnerability to light - mummified creatures are only extra-vulnerable to fire. Also, trolls take lethal damage from fire. So it's extra effective against them.

It would keep its Darkvision 90'. for the same reason.

If a template adds an ability like fast healing to a creature that already has that ability, ask your DM if they stack (I've always assumed not, following the spirit of stacking modifiers, but that's just me). The rules are notoriously unclear about how abilities from templates stack.

Thurbane
2015-08-09, 04:15 AM
Isn't there a rule that creatures with no Con score can't have Regeneration?

Nomrom
2015-08-09, 07:40 AM
Correct. It would say if they did.

I don't get what you mean by vulnerability to light - mummified creatures are only extra-vulnerable to fire. Also, trolls take lethal damage from fire. So it's extra effective against them.

It would keep its Darkvision 90'. for the same reason.

If a template adds an ability like fast healing to a creature that already has that ability, ask your DM if they stack (I've always assumed not, following the spirit of stacking modifiers, but that's just me). The rules are notoriously unclear about how abilities from templates stack.

Ok, that makes sense. If it doesn't specifically say it loses the ability, it keeps it. Also, the vulnerability to light is one of the qualities of the base creature, the wasteland troll.

Good catch, it does say you need a Con score for regeneration.

noob
2015-08-09, 08:05 AM
I believe that undead who heal themselves have most of the time fast healing.

rockdeworld
2015-08-09, 11:03 PM
Yes.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.
Sorry, that interaction slipped by me.