PDA

View Full Version : Computer For the first time since Grim Fandango I bought Point-n-klick adventure games

Avilan the Grey
2015-08-08, 05:31 PM
(And that's the original release of Grim Fandango of course, not the re-release)

Not one of those hip games like Zombie Game Episode 1, Zombie Game Episode 2, or Prequel To Overrated Online Game Episode 1.

I bought the Book Of Unwritten Tales 1, 2 and Critter Chromicles.

Because I stumbled over them, remembered that they got good reviews, and their humor seems right up my alley.

Eldan
2015-08-08, 06:15 PM
All the good ones I know are German, so I can't recommend anything. Didn't like The Walking Dead that much, it was rather mediocre. Wolf among Us was good, though.

Avilan the Grey
2015-08-09, 06:37 AM
I feel like an idiot... I'm already stumped, at the Role Playing machine... All I have found is pickling jar. How do I distract the Chimp ("Demon")?

Avilan the Grey
2015-08-09, 11:43 PM
My brain has not been tuned to these kind of games for a LONG time. So far, embarrassingly enough, I have had to google the solutions for about 20% of things.

factotum
2015-08-10, 02:41 AM
That's pretty normal for me playing a point-and-click, it's why I don't play them anymore--I like games that I have a reasonable chance of completing without having to twist my mindset into somebody's bizarre idea of what constitutes a puzzle.

Eldan
2015-08-10, 03:08 AM
Not all of them are like that, especially not more modern ones.

Rodin
2015-08-10, 04:28 AM
Cat moustache! (Heh, according to the forum spellcheck moustache isn't a word. Weird.)

I've actually been really itching for a Quest for Glory style adventure game - one with equal parts point'n'click and stat-based progression. The multiple puzzle solutions were nice, too.

Unfortunately, I haven't stayed in touch with the genre so I don't know of any recent ones with that blend of Adventure game and RPG.

Cristo Meyers
2015-08-10, 08:56 AM
Memoria turned out to be surprisingly good. Bought it on a lark during the summer sale and my wife and I finished it over a weekend: Good challenge, very little Moon Logic, nice story, and the ending rewards you for actually paying attention to what's going on.

My brain has not been tuned to these kind of games for a LONG time. So far, embarrassingly enough, I have had to google the solutions for about 20% of things.

Considering the genre's rather spotty history with things like logic, that's actually pretty good I'd say. :smalltongue:

Cat moustache! (Heh, according to the forum spellcheck moustache isn't a word. Weird.)

I've actually been really itching for a Quest for Glory style adventure game - one with equal parts point'n'click and stat-based progression. The multiple puzzle solutions were nice, too.

Unfortunately, I haven't stayed in touch with the genre so I don't know of any recent ones with that blend of Adventure game and RPG.

Didn't they just re-release Quest for Glory?

Rodin
2015-08-10, 09:57 AM
Didn't they just re-release Quest for Glory?

A bunch of fans re-released Quest for Glory II. As far as I know it's "unauthorized", wink-wink-nudge-nudge. Sierra doesn't seem to mind.

Avilan the Grey
2015-08-10, 12:32 PM
It takes a while (sometimes half the game) before you get into the mindset of the writers. Sometimes it is just not possible though.

Psyren
2015-08-14, 02:42 PM
For me, Telltale Games offerings like Walking Dead and Tales From the Borderlands recaptured everything I came to the genre for and cut out all the dreck and bloat. Slipping into Lee Everett's life and protecting Clementine are some of the finest moments I've had in gaming in recent memory.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-08-14, 04:02 PM

Uh... Heroine's Quest is apparently good? It's freeware too.

Winthur
2015-08-15, 05:00 AM
cat moustache! (heh, according to the forum spellcheck moustache isn't a word. Weird.)

i've actually been really itching for a quest for glory style adventure game - one with equal parts point'n'click and stat-based progression. The multiple puzzle solutions were nice, too.

Unfortunately, i haven't stayed in touch with the genre so i don't know of any recent ones with that blend of adventure game and rpg.

heroines quest herald of ragnarok

its free on steam and really godlike play it its soooo good