PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on a class!

ssandulak
2015-08-08, 06:25 PM
So I'm in a bunch of D&D groups now (on roll20) and I recently rolled stats for another character and would like some ideas on what to try. I typically tend towards the more martial classes and I kind of want to try one of the newer races (warforged, changling, shifter?) but I'm open to anything really.

I rolled: 17, 15, 15, 14, 13, 9

I should also mention that the party currently consists of: wizard, rogue, melee fighter or ranger but that I still don't mind playing another melee character.

Looking forward to a thought provoking discussion on ideas ladies and gents, thanks in advance!

Ralanr
2015-08-08, 06:29 PM
I'd recommend barbarian.

Cause barbarians are awesome.

Daishain
2015-08-08, 06:46 PM
A lot depends on what this other guy does.

If he does go ranger, you will probably need to step up to the front lines. Barbarian or Paladin would be my first picks in that situation with your stats. (because they work particularly well for MAD classes)

If instead he picks something suitably meat shieldy, then your options pretty much open all the way up, as the party has their main bases covered. A Changeling Archfey warlock for instance could work well in the category of trying a new race out.

ssandulak
2015-08-08, 06:51 PM
I believe he's going to go for a melee ranger or melee fighter, so assume either way he's going to be on the front lines. Sorry if I didn't specify that correctly :)

ZenBear
2015-08-08, 10:45 PM
Cleric is probably the best choice if you want to balance out the party. If you want to be more of a spellcaster then go VHuman Light Domain 17+1 Wis, 15 Dex/Con, 14/13/9 in whatever, +1 the 9 or 13. At 1st level take War Caster, 4th/8th take Resilient: Con for concentration saves and Medium Armor Master for higher AC and no stealth penalty. Each will round out your stats, pick whichever one seems more important first. If you want to be more martial, any other Cleric domain besides Knowledge will do. Stat allocation should favor Str/Dex based on your armor proficiency, build up Wis/Con as you level.

Ralanr
2015-08-08, 11:06 PM
Cleric is probably the best choice if you want to balance out the party. If you want to be more of a spellcaster then go VHuman Light Domain 17+1 Wis, 15 Dex/Con, 14/13/9 in whatever, +1 the 9 or 13. At 1st level take War Caster, 4th/8th take Resilient: Con for concentration saves and Medium Armor Master for higher AC and no stealth penalty. Each will round out your stats, pick whichever one seems more important first. If you want to be more martial, any other Cleric domain besides Knowledge will do. Stat allocation should favor Str/Dex based on your armor proficiency, build up Wis/Con as you level.

Except war. Ok war works, but I just think it's level one ability has a really weak limiter.

What about Bard and picking Valor?

ssandulak
2015-08-08, 11:17 PM
Thanks all, after doing some research and the suggestions in the thread, decided to rock a cleric.

ZenBear
2015-08-08, 11:27 PM
Thanks all, after doing some research and the suggestions in the thread, decided to rock a cleric.

Best of luck! Have fun! A piece of advice from a very wise man;

"Don't get dead."

Ralanr
2015-08-08, 11:32 PM
"Don't get dead."

That's some wise words right there.

Steampunkette
2015-08-09, 02:38 AM
Don't forget to keep a running tally of the cost of your magical healing so if and when someone gives you guff about literally anything you can present them with a bill for your services!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-09, 04:40 AM
I'd recommend barbarian.

That's your answer to everything, Ralanr.

I'm on team cleric - in fact I'm about to start playing one over in PbP! Go team cleric! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0077.html)

ZenBear
2015-08-09, 09:30 AM
Don't forget to keep a running tally of the cost of your magical healing so if and when someone gives you guff about literally anything you can present them with a bill for your services!

Rofl 😂.....

Ralanr
2015-08-09, 11:34 AM
That's your answer to everything, Ralanr.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/657/623/ed8.gif

But I will not go against the OP's decision.

djreynolds
2015-08-09, 06:33 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/657/623/ed8.gif

But I will not go against the OP's decision.

Well double the van damage is that street fighter? And you were right barbarian.

Ralanr
2015-08-09, 08:55 PM
Well double the van damage is that street fighter? And you were right barbarian.

Yes, yes it is. :smallbiggrin: