PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Can Wands or Wondrous Items be used to Charge Quick Potions?

Racsopacso
2015-08-08, 06:54 PM
I am DMing a sandbox-y session (possibly to expand into campaign) the basic premise of which is 'allow cheese and RAW stupidity as long as it's interesting and sufficiently original and see what happens'. The players have been giving me some information as to their plans, just so I can focus on fleshing out the parts of the world they're going to interact with to a greater degree, but one of their plans has perplexed me as to the rules. I'm allowing custom magic items as long as they're sane (e.g. no trapsmith), but the player in question has asked whether a custom item of at-will lesser vigor could be used to charge a quick potion-prepared vial (Quick Potion being from Spell Compendium, page 164.)

My initial reaction is no, as quick potion specifically references casting, something that the player in question seems to agree with - which then raises the question of whether wands or eternal wands can be used, something that I have been unable to find out. Potions name the imbiber as the effective caster, but I can find no such information for wands. Additionally, eternal wands simply lack information on this topic, being a short entry in the Magic Item Compendium. (Page 159).

Thank you.

rockdeworld
2015-08-09, 11:35 PM
You're correct. Activating a magic item is not the same as casting a spell. It's the same whether you're talking about wondrous items (command word/use activated), wands (spell trigger), or scrolls (spell completion).

Edit: source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#usingItems

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-10, 01:19 AM
Activating a magic item is not the same as casting a spell.

True, especially when the result of activating a magic item does not result in a spell being cast, such as an Immovable Rod. However, when you activate a wand the result of activating it is that you cast a spell from the wand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm).

Activation
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area.

So in this case it is the same as casting a spell.

Racsopacso
2015-08-10, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the help!