PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Music for Space Setting

falloutimperial
2015-08-08, 06:59 PM
Hello. In a few weeks, I'll be running an RPG in a space setting, and I'm trying to find musical backing for the player characters' interactions with various factions, especially in spaceship combat. The goal is to have an expansive repository of music suited to each race, and for that I would certainly appreciate your help in finding music. Ideally, the music would be instrumental and not too obviously tied to a specific era in history. I need music for both war and peace.

For one race I need music that is martial, proud, and unrelenting. Perhaps something with loud drums or electric guitars, and possibly something soft metal.

For another race I need music that is elegant and orchestral. Maybe something that feels old or like it hails back to a past civilization.

I appreciate any help I can get.

mig el pig
2015-08-08, 08:21 PM
Hello. In a few weeks, I'll be running an RPG in a space setting, and I'm trying to find musical backing for the player characters' interactions with various factions, especially in spaceship combat. The goal is to have an expansive repository of music suited to each race, and for that I would certainly appreciate your help in finding music. Ideally, the music would be instrumental and not too obviously tied to a specific era in history. I need music for both war and peace.

For one race I need music that is martial, proud, and unrelenting. Perhaps something with loud drums or electric guitars, and possibly something soft metal.

For another race I need music that is elegant and orchestral. Maybe something that feels old or like it hails back to a past civilization.

I appreciate any help I can get.

FTL OST: Great space game on steam. Has specfic music for several races (both an explore an a battle tune) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygH9VcV7IBg

Endless space OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIUeE9gFGZc

rs2excelsior
2015-08-08, 11:12 PM
I'll recommend the music of Two Steps from Hell (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsRnFa4NlY). They do background music for trailers, videogames, and the like, and you can find a lot of their songs free on Youtube and/or Spotify. It ranges from martial, driving fight music to mournful and a bit eerie. You should be able to find what you're looking for.

I particularly recommend To Glory, White Witch, Black Blade, and Tristan for the former (all of them but To Glory are in the video I linked earlier). Those are some of my personal favorites, you might find others you like better.

EDIT: I also think Earth, Smoke, Fountain of Life, or Atlas from that video might work for your second race, too.

JAL_1138
2015-08-09, 08:48 AM
Seconding FTL OST. May not be as "epic" as much intrumental music these days but it's perfectly atmospheric and doesn't distract at the table. Sits in the background and does its job.

GloatingSwine
2015-08-09, 12:26 PM
The original Mass Effect.

Not the sequels. They're less spacey and more shootmans.

hiryuu
2015-08-09, 02:46 PM
I second most of the suggestions made here - also I would suggest looking for some Immediate Music albums. They've got a wide selection of some pretty nice tracks.

I run a fairly regular space opera setting, and I have used JENOVA from the Black Mages, as well as this list, which, any of the songs from this list are so recognizable by my players I often don't have to describe where they are or what they're doing:

Chris De Burgh - Spanish Train
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Runnin' Down A Dream
Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525
The Screaming Jets - Better
Sloppy Seconds - The Queen Of Outer Space
Space - Female of the Species
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell
Kyrie
Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me
Christina Aguilera, Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim - Lady Marmalade
Nine Days - Absolutely (Story Of A Girl)
Toto - Africa
Tal Bachman - She's So High
Coldplay - Speed Of Sound
Filter - Take A Picture
Goo Goo Dolls - Black Balloon
Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
Sonic Team - Cry, for 'IDOLA' the Holy
Sonic Team - Burning Hearts
I'm a Pioneer
Information High
Inner Universe(long)
Audioslave - I Am The Highway
Audioslave - Like A Stone
Eagles - Hotel California (Original)
Fountains of Wayne - Lost In Space
Generator Gawl - I Want Out
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Emily Bindiger - Aura
Emily Bindiger - Key of the Twilight
Yes - Homeworld
Scudelia Electro - Shout It Loud
Gasaraki - Message #09
Move Your Dead Bones
Mr. Big - Shine
No Escape
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero
Powerman 5000 - Bombshell
Powerman 5000 - When Worlds Collide
RadioFreeZerg
Taku Iwasaki - 13 - AudioTrack 13

ShaneMRoth
2015-08-09, 04:15 PM
Stanley Kubrick proved that it is impossible to go wrong with classical music for a Space Setting.

LaserFace
2015-08-09, 04:32 PM
The original Mass Effect.

Not the sequels. They're less spacey and more shootmans.

Seconding FTL OST. May not be as "epic" as much intrumental music these days but it's perfectly atmospheric and doesn't distract at the table. Sits in the background and does its job.

These. ^^^^^

falloutimperial
2015-08-09, 04:48 PM
The expansive response I've gotten is amazing. Seriously, you guys have provided soundtracks and long lists, plus you've corroborated each other's suggestions.