PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Goultard-Iop

JNAProductions
2015-08-08, 08:03 PM
Goultard is the god Iop, which is why the title is Goultard-Iop and not Goultard The Iop. He's not any random Iop off the street-he is THE IOP, the god of warriors.

https://nicolasaviori.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/goultard-def3.jpg

Goultard has four forms-Monk, Fighter, Paladin, and Barbarian. He enters a new form as soon as the current form is slain.

All forms have the following statline, traits, and actions available:

Strength-30 (+10)
Dexterity-26 (+8)
Constitution-28 (+9)
Intelligence-10 (0)
Wisdom-20 (+5)
Charisma-26 (+8)

Skills

Athletics +28, Acrobatics +17, Deception +0

Special: Goultard can run up walls and across liquids as if they were solid. He may end his movement on vertical surfaces or liquids with no penalty, and does not fall.

Traits

Magical Weapons-All Goultards attacks count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances and immunities.

Bonus Action

Get Over Here!-Goultard uses his chainsword to draw an opponent nearer. Make an opposed Strength (Athletics) check-if Goultard wins, he draws the opponent adjacent to him or pulls himself adjacent to the opponent. This ability has a range of 120'.

Form One-Monk

AC-23
HP-283
Speed-100'

Saving Throws-Str+18, Dex+16, Con+17, Int+0, Wis+5, Charisma+8

Senses-Truesight 120', Passive Perception 21

Languages-All

Ki-30

Actions

Attack-Goultard makes two unarmed strikes. +18 to hit, 1d10+10 damage each.

Wholeness of Body-Goultard regains 90 HP. This is usable once per long rest.

Bonus Actions

Martial Arts-Goultard makes a single unarmed attack.

Flurry of Blows-Goultard makes two unarmed attacks. This consumes one point of Ki. In addition, for each unarmed strike that hits, choose one of the following:
-DC 21 Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone
-DC 21 Strength saving throw or be pushed 15'
-DC 21 Constitution savin throw or be unable to take reactions until Goultard's next turn

Patient Defense-Goultard performs the Dodge action. This consumes one point of Ki.

Step of the Wind-Goultard performs the Disengage or Dash action. This consumes one point of Ki.

Reactions

Deflect Missiles-When targeted by a ranged attack, Goultard may choose to reduce the damage by 1d10+38. If the damage is reduced to 0, Goultard can throw or otherwise deflect the projectile back. Make an attack with a +16 attack bonus and damage equal to the damage of the original attack. This consumes one point of Ki.

Traits

Evasion-When making a Dexterity saving throw for half damage, Goultard instead takes no damage on a success.

Immunities-Frightened, charmed, poisoned, diseases, psychic damage.

Form Two-Fighter

AC-24
HP-304
Speed-100'

Saving Throws-Str+18, Dex+16, Con+17, Int+0, Wis+5, Charisma+8

Languages-All

Actions

Attack-Goultard makes four attacks-either unarmed strikes or chainsword attacks.

Unarmed Strike-+18 to hit, 1d10+12 damage

Chainsword-Reach 30', +18 to hit, 1d12+12 damage

Traits

Critical Range-Goultard scores critical hits on 18-20.

Double Turn-Roll initiative again for Goultard. He now has two turns in any round, one at his original initiative and one at his new initiative.

Form Three-Paladin

AC-24
HP-304
Speed-100'

Saving Throws-Str+26, Dex+24, Con+25, Int+8, Wis+13, Charisma+16

Languages-All

Actions

Attack-Goultard makes two attacks, either unarmed strikes or chiansword attacks.

Unarmed Strike-+18 to hit, 1d10+12 damage

Chainsword-Reach 30', +18 to hit, 1d12+12 damage

Spellcastin

Goultard casts spells as a 20th level Paladin. He knows all spells on the Paladin spell-list.

Traits

Triple Turn-Roll initiative again for Goultard. He now has three turns in any round, one at his original initiative, one at his second initiative, and one at his new initiative.

Smite-Goultard can choose to smite with any attack that successfully hits. To smite, he expends a single spell slot of any level, and does additional radiant damage equal to 2d8+an additional d8 for each spell slot level.

Form Four-Barbarian

AC-28
HP-325
Speed-100'

Saving Throws-Str+26, Dex+24, Con+25, Int+8, Wis+13, Charisma+16

Languages-All

Actions

Attack-Goultard makes two attacks with advantage, either unarmed strikes or chainsword attacks.

Unarmed Strike-+18 to hit, 1d10+14 damage.

Chainsword-30' reach, +18 to hit, 1d12+14 damage.

Bonus Action

Frenzy-Goultard makes one attack, either unarmed strike or chainsword attack.

Reactions

Reatalitation-When Goultard takes damage from someone within 30', he can retaliate with a single chainsword attack.

Traits

Resistance-All damage.

Quadruple Turn-Roll initiative again for Goultard, with advantage. He now has four turns in any round, one at his original initiative, one at his second initiative, one at his third initiative, and one at his new initiative.

Danger Sense-Goultard has advantage on all Dexterity saving throws.

Brutal Critical-On a critical hit, Goultard deals an extra three damage dice.

Relentlessness-Anytime Goultard is dropped to 0 HP, he must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. On a success, he instead drops to 1 HP. Each time this happens, the DC increases by 5. Whenever Goultard finishes a rest, the DC is reset.

Goultard is a massively powerful fighter, suitable for a party of four level 20 characters. Even then, he's liable to kick their butts unless they're very good.

Thoughts?

Ziegander
2015-08-08, 08:24 PM
I love it. It feels like a god without being horrifically overpowered. I wonder how it stacks up against the Tiamat statblock...

JNAProductions
2015-08-08, 08:26 PM
I'm glad I captured that feel. I wanted Goultard to be something powerful, but ultimately defeatable. (Though not without taking some heavy hits yourself.)

Michael7123
2015-08-09, 01:27 PM
I don't claim to be an expert on epic levels in 5th edition, but everything seems good here. Nicely done.

Gnomes2169
2015-08-09, 05:42 PM
Why is he proficient in every saving throw... And how is the barbarian form hitting the +20's in any saves, when his max should be +18 in any one save? Note, the barbarian capstone shouldn't bring any stat above 30, since that is the stated cap for gods and other beings alike. Ac on barbarian form should be 27. Truesight also really shouldn't be infinite... And instead of the quad or double turn, 5 legendary actions/ round would really be less clunky with 5e's mechanics.

Other than that, looks alright.

JNAProductions
2015-08-09, 05:52 PM
Why is he proficient in every saving throw...

He is a god.

And how is the barbarian form hitting the +20's in any saves, when his max should be +18 in any one save?

Still benefiting from the Paladin's Aura. He's got a few bonuses that players do not have.

Note, the barbarian capstone shouldn't bring any stat above 30, since that is the stated cap for gods and other beings alike.

All his stats are 30 or lower.

Ac on barbarian form should be 27.

Defensive Fighting Style. Again, a holdover.

Truesight also really shouldn't be infinite...

Why not? I really am curious why.

And instead of the quad or double turn, 5 legendary actions/ round would really be less clunky with 5e's mechanics.

I'd actually like to see how the multi-turn goes in real play. If anyone is willing to playtest this and see if it is clunky, I would be overjoyed.

Other than that, looks alright.

Yay!

My comments in bold. Overall, you were spot-on, but I made my design decisions knowingly.

JNAProductions
2015-08-09, 07:31 PM
Apologies for the double-post, but I have important news:

Goultard is being playtested here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?433135-D-amp-D-5E-Level-20-Fight!&p=19651774#post19651774)-feel free to join in in trying to kick the Iop's butt.

Adjusting his saves down (some of them)-that really is kinda ridiculous.

He's now proficient in only physical saves.

Gnomes2169
2015-08-09, 09:02 PM
He is a god.
As is Tiamat, and she doesn't have proficiency in all saving throws (she has it in 4; Dexterity, Int, Wis and Cha)

Still benefiting from the Paladin's Aura. He's got a few bonuses that players do not have.
So each form builds on the last and gains MORE stuff on top, instead of being separate stat blocks?

Defensive Fighting Style. Again, a holdover.
Still should be 27, Unarmored Defense doesn't stack with armor, and the Defense fighting style requires you to wear armor.

Why not? I really am curious why.
Because not even Tiamat has more than 120' truesight. It's also incredibly unbalanced, given there is no place a character can actually hide from the creature unless they have total cover. It also gives infinite sight onto the Ethereal or Astral plane... not sure which one it is. So there's no real way to sneak up on or hide from the guy, no matter how far away you happen to be. >.>

JNAProductions
2015-08-09, 09:05 PM
As is Tiamat, and she doesn't have proficiency in all saving throws (she has it in 4; Dexterity, Int, Wis and Cha)

Saves have been dropped-you were right, it was excessive.

So each form builds on the last and gains MORE stuff on top, instead of being separate stat blocks?

Ee-yup.

Still should be 27, Unarmored Defense doesn't stack with armor, and the Defense fighting style requires you to wear armor.

True, but I'm not strictly following the rules. If it ends up being too much, I'll drop it down.

Because not even Tiamat has more than 120' truesight. It's also incredibly unbalanced, given there is no place a character can actually hide from the creature unless they have total cover. It also gives infinite sight onto the Ethereal or Astral plane... not sure which one it is. So there's no real way to sneak up on or hide from the guy, no matter how far away you happen to be. >.>

I'll drop it to 120'. It's still basically impossible to sneak up on the guy, but at least possible at a distance.

Again, responses in bold. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

2015-08-10, 04:13 PM
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I think the Barbarian form's saves are too high; it looks like they're copy-pasted from the Paladin form, which gets Cha mod to saves...something the Barbie doesn't get.

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 05:03 PM
They are, and that is intentional. Some things carry over between forms, such as the Aura and Defensive Fighting Style (which also works sans armor, because Goultard needs no armor).

MaxWilson
2015-08-10, 07:09 PM
Isn't he just going to die horribly to anyone with flight and a ranged attack? A fourth-level Aarakocra Warlock with Spell Sniper will kill him.

Well, actually he won't, because Goultard can run away really, really fast. But still, it seems like he should at least have some kind of Plague Bow or something a la Shiva the Destroyer. Something with a 600' range.

Some of the obvious things to do include:

1.) Feebleminding him early on in Monk form, which will drop his Wisdom save to -5, and then Polymorphing him into a piglet and drowning him in a lake. (Once he drops to 0 HP he will change to his new form, but per PHB errata he is still at 0 HP--he's a drowned fighter, then a drowned paladin, then a drowned barbarian.)
2.) Feeblemind him and then Magic Jar him.
3.) Feeblemind him, then Polymorph him into a piglet, cast Awaken to raise his Int back up to 10 and charm him, and then let the Polymorph lapse. Voila, your very own friendly god. Repeat every 30 days as needed.
4.) Feeblemind + Confusion. Getting 4x normal turns doesn't help that much if you spend those turns drooling on yourself.
5.) Obviously you can Maze him if you need a breather to heal, set up traps, and ready actions.
6.) Forcecage + ranged attacks from beyond 120'.
7.) Swarm him with 96 conjured Giant Owls (32 from a 9th level spell slot, x3 for presumably 3 of 4 PCs) while a fourth PC maintains Otto's Irresistable Dance to give the owls advantage. There should be about 9 crits per round for 4d6+1 points of damage each, or 13*9=117 points of damage per round. He can't kill them fast enough to make any difference. Animated forks would work pretty well too although you'd only get 54 of them at most, and duration would be a problem.
8.) Do any of the above after Wishing for a Simulacrum of yourself to double your concentration, DPR, and 1st-8th level spell slots.
9.) True Polymorph him into a pebble.

Don't get me wrong, I think Goultard could be extremely nasty if you went up against him without knowing his stats, but by posting his stats openly and then allowing people to build PCs specifically to fight him, Goultard loses the strategic initiative, and therefore his life.

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 07:11 PM
I debated making "Get Over Here!" longer ranged.

As it is, he has +26 to Athletics. I'd hope most DMs would simply have him do the improbable and jump towards the enemy.

As for ranged... That's just not something Goultard really does. He has reach, but he's no Cra. And goll-darnit! I will be faithful to the source material!

2015-08-10, 07:13 PM
Isn't he just going to die horribly to anyone with flight and a ranged attack? A fourth-level Aarakocra Warlock with Spell Sniper will kill him.

Well, actually he won't, because Goultard can run away really, really fast. But still, it seems like he should at least have some kind of Plague Bow or something a la Shiva the Destroyer. Something with a 600' range.

I'll point out that the base high-jump for most characters (without a skill check) is 3+Str mod (13 for this guy); beyond that, he has Bonus Action Dash available, monk double jumping, and a +26 Athletics check, letting him hit DC 30: Impossible DC. At this level, flying hundreds of feet into the air just means he's going to jump after you, catch you with his chain-blade once he gets close enough, and bring you crashing down.

Probably. I'm sure there's a way to beat that, but my point is that flight on its own won't save you if you're starting too close (with close defined as "anywhere within 500 ft).

MaxWilson
2015-08-10, 07:29 PM
I debated making "Get Over Here!" longer ranged.

As it is, he has +26 to Athletics. I'd hope most DMs would simply have him do the improbable and jump towards the enemy.

As for ranged... That's just not something Goultard really does. He has reach, but he's no Cra. And goll-darnit! I will be faithful to the source material!

Oh, interesting. I didn't realize this was based on specific source material. Time to hit up TVTropes...

2015-08-12, 01:45 AM
Hi! I'm one of the playtesters for this monstrosity. I didn't specifically go out of my way to find T1 level tactics to use against G-I Joe here, preferring instead to go for more straightforward team tactics and valor bard blastlock DPR cheese. And having playtested through the first form...I'm starting to doubt our ability to win, or even really be more than a speed bump for this guy. Why is this? Take a look at that last form really closely: he's got AC 28, 325 HP, and resistance to all damage; he's got a handful of immunities that make save-or-sucks bounce off for the most part, he can move faster than any possible PC except one tailor-made to be a speed demon...and oh yeah, he's getting 16 attacks each round at +18 to attack and 1d12+14 damage (5d12+14 on a critical). The quadruple-barbarian form alone is a monster, and you have to trudge your way through the monk, the double-fighter, and the triple-paladin.

This is gonna be a nightmare...

Yorrin
2015-08-12, 08:09 PM
I also am one one of the testers. When first looking at this guy's stat block I was expecting us to die to Paladin form, but as the fight progresses and we're approaching Pali form I'm thinking we're going to make it to Barbarian. This guy just has such ridiculous damage output that it will be hard to keep everyone up (and I say that while playing a Life domain Cleric).

2015-08-12, 08:12 PM
It'll help once I get us that rest once he switches over to Barbie form. We'll be able to rest and heal up to full, and go into the last fight with buffs ready; if nothing else, a lvl 2 bless will give us all a +1d4 to hit him, which will be necessary against that ridiculous AC.

JNAProductions
2015-08-13, 09:52 AM
Added a note about how all his attacks are magical.