PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a certain sort of tank

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-09, 01:23 AM
I'm looking for classes and class combinations that can function well as a tank - not the sort that pulls aggro or reduces the damage that enemies deal, but the kind that is themselves very hardy and that deals passable damage while tossing around status effects to make your enemies easier to kill. So far the front-runner is Dirty Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-orc/dirty-fighter-fighter-orc); any other suggestions for a frontline martial class that can provide what I'm looking for, i.e. solid personal defenses and a variety of debuffs (both numerical, e.g. sickened, and action-control, e.g. dazed)?

Shadowscale
2015-08-09, 01:32 AM
I would suggest looking into a properly built anti paladin. If done correctly they can passively screw over their opponents and tank with ease.

Rainshine
2015-08-09, 01:43 AM
Suggestion: Fiendbound Marauder Warder.

The archetype is from the POW2 playtest; you trade away your Aegis (armor boost for nearby allies) and a higher dex mod on your armor for a magic glove, d8 damage with grapple, reach (but allows you to close-combat as well), and grab. You're starting out threatening two squares, and the Aegis recovery boosts that range further. Add in your free Combat Expertise linked to your initiation mod (int), and you're whacking anyone who comes by. L1 stance from Black Seraph lets you make a free intimidation check against targets you hit with a +4 to demoralize them. When you get the cash together, put Cruel on your gauntlet, that will make them sickened once they're shaken. Black Seraph Style feat nets you a scaling AC boost against shaken targets, like maybe if you hit them and demoralized them. Since you get Combat Expertise for free, feel free to grab Imp. Trip people if they try to go past you. Or just grab them. There was something I vaguely recall that I thought made your shaken or sickened condition -4 instead, but I can't recall it immediately.