PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed priest of fertility forced to be chaste

Peter2015
2015-08-09, 03:17 AM
:smallconfused:

Hello benevolent sages (I Hope)

I am currently playing a 4th lvl priest of Atroa from a modified version of the Velaeri from Greyhawk, which are the Oeridian gods of the seasons and agriculture. My priest is not only a specialty priest of Atroa he is a priest of Fertility which means that he can not maintain any form of chastity. I had previously enjoyed the silliness of that particular vow and thought it was appropriate to his priesthood to role-play him as the sort of guy who enjoyed casual hookups. Then our party found ourselves in a situation. We're kinda terrorists, out to over throw the evil Hextor driven tyrannical empire ruling our world... and we needed papers... so our half-orc gladiator agreed to fight in a competition on behalf of a priestess of Heironeous who was masquerading as a priestess of Hextor so that she might interrupt this ritual where the embodiment of Hextor on earth will be conceived.
So naturally when the spell went out into the crowd to search out the most virile male to produce the embodiment of Hextor on earth (or oerth) it picked the priest of fertility. Now I knew this was gonna happen. I knew there was nothing I could do to stop it, short of suicide. I knew that should our champion win, and the priestess of Heironeous be chosen there was a pretty good chance that Hextor wouldn't come down and do his evil nonsense that he does.

And then after this compulsion spell (i'm guessing here) with an AoE of like 20 miles or so, that was jointly cast by over a dozen high ranking priests of Hextor forces me to come running toward this woman. She takes me into this secret room and casts a spell to clear my head for a few moments be for this crazy spell continues to compel me to lie with her, And the priestess tells me that as she is what she really is and not what they think she is, in order for her to do this with me, we must first be wed and that is the best way for our child to not be the embodiment of evil that he/she could grow up to be.
So I agree since to do otherwise might well and truly condemn my as yet unconceived child to fate surely worse than death.
So now I'm married. I'm married to a woman I will never see again. and in this world the church of Hextor are the bad guys and my child is going to be raised to be their high priest/priestess. And I can't remain chaste nor can I break my vows of fidelity. and even though I'm never going to see this woman again i can't break my vow of fidelity to her because marriage is kind of a big deal to Atroa (at least according to my gm) and I'm a priest so vows are kinda a big deal for me since u know a large portion of my life is built around honoring my vows.

SO my question to y'all is. DO you have any suggestions, or ideas or anything?

Sith_Happens
2015-08-09, 03:43 AM
Looks like you've got three options here:

1. Whatever the reason is that your character will supposedly never see his now-wife again, do something about it.

2. Figure out a way to discreetly conduct a long-distance divorce (after making sure that that won't undo the kid's protections against Hextor mojo).

3. Make with the praying until you get a sign as to which of the suddenly-mutually-exclusive parts of your code Atroa would rather you follow.

Peter2015
2015-08-09, 05:41 AM
"Whatever the reason is that your character will supposedly never see his now-wife again, do something about it."

we married in secret and it was only so that my now wife could follow whatever this world's variation of Heironeous' rules regarding coitus and protection of our child. I can not act as her husband nor she as my wife because (as i understand it) doing so would blow her cover and doom her and my child to certain death.

the divorce isn't a bad idea especially since it's only in the eyes of our gods so that might work. but in talking to my now wife when i saw her the next day she did not seem open to that idea.

my character has been praying but my DM already told me no great clear answer is going to drop down from the sky.

But and i can't overemphasize this. i do really appreciate u trying.

Premier
2015-08-09, 10:07 AM
we married in secret and it was only so that my now wife could follow whatever this world's variation of Heironeous' rules regarding coitus and protection of our child. I can not act as her husband nor she as my wife because (as i understand it) doing so would blow her cover and doom her and my child to certain death.

So why don't you just rescue her and the baby and take her to a safe place in another country/continent/planet/plane of existence? Since everyone in the evil empire believes the baby to be Hextor's incarnation, this would also serve as a major blow to their morale and stability, which happens to be in line with your party's long-term goals.

TeChameleon
2015-08-09, 10:50 AM
... seems to me that you might want to pull your wife outta there anyhow, since the priesthood of Hextor is going to go postal when they realize that the kid isn't Hextor's incarnation. Even assuming they can't sacrifice the mum to infuse Hextor into the baby after it's born or something, I don't think that your character would leave the priestess there to be martyred, marriage or otherwise, assuming of course some kind of even semi-good alignment.

That being said, I agree with Premier- the rescue would make a good story, and also contribute to the group's long-term goals, especially if you can get her out before they realize that the baby isn't Hextor at all. In fact, if your group could somehow pull off an epic-scale divination-futzing spell (maybe with the help of Heironeus, who clearly doesn't like him), so that Hextor couldn't communicate properly with his priesthood, you could have them believing that you essentially kidnapped their god and maybe even killed him. Might make a bit of a hash of their little empire, no?

Also, I'm not sure that your priest not getting laid would be that big of a problem for Altroa, fertility priest or no; if marriage is as big a deal as you say, then Altroa wouldn't expect him to be sleeping with anyone but his wife anyhow. His wife being inaccessible through no fault of his own shouldn't be a thing, as long as he's trying to get her back.

And now that I've said that, it really does look to me that this is actually an adventure hook, and your DM wants you to start making plans to spring your newly-minted NPC wife, especially given the (probable) 9-month deadline before the Hextorites figure out that the baby isn't what they were expecting and start getting their murder on.

... and hopefully said NPC wife really, really likes kids, since being married to a priest of fertility, well... :smalltongue:

Jay R
2015-08-09, 12:04 PM
You're confused on what a priest is.

A priest of agriculture is not necessarily a farmer. He advises farmers, encourages people to farm, and blesses their crops.

A priest of war is not necessarily a warrior. He advises warriors, encourages people to fight, prays for them, and blesses their weapons.

You are now able to stop wasting time as a single individual, and start your real mission of encouraging the people to breed faster. You can increase the fertility of the land much more by encouraging everyone in the lands you live in than you could have as a single stud.

If it was merely just an excuse to role-play having sex, then you're lost. But if you actually intend to play a priest of fertility, you can now finally begin to do so.