PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Low power characters in a high power world

Malaqai
2015-08-09, 04:37 AM
Hi playgrounders,

I'm in the process of putting together a new campaign world in which I plan on setting my PCs up against foes who would ordinarily be far above their pay grade. The intent is to encourage clever play (my players enjoy being clever). I was wondering if there were any DMs out there who had experience with this type of campaign who could offer a few pointers in running this sort of campaign.

Just an example scenario that I've already been planning up:

An old cathedral has been overtaken by a graveknight. The PCs, a group of level 1 commoners from the nearby village investigating the recent disappearances from their town, find themselves trapped in the catacombs beneath the cathedral with the grave knight and its minions. Using their wits, they skirt or immobilize the undead minions, though their escape brings them face to face with the death knight. Using holy symbols looted from the cathedral/environmental factors to their advantage, they have a chance of overcoming grave knight and making their escape.

Lerondiel
2015-08-09, 05:26 AM
A way to encourage clever play without handing out power directly is to give the players non-financial resources.

Allies give options.

Affording and sourcing all the materials needed to make that distraction/trap/pit/flaming barricade/avalanche within a particular timeframe can make too many creative plans unfeasible.

But if you write in an opportunity to save the blacksmith's life/family he'll be all too happy to make caltrops and bear traps for as long as they need.
A great relationship with the town elder/mayor can yield letters of introduction to scholars and craftsmen in the nearby city that can help PCs identify monster vulnerabilities and obtain equipment silver arrows etc to give them the critical edge.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-09, 05:36 AM
I would recommend giving them extra skill points, maybe get rid of the class/cross-class distinction entirely. If they're going to do something clever and possibly not-quite-covered-by-the-rules-as-written, it's likely to come down to a skill check. And unlike attack bonuses, saves or any of that other adventurer stuff, commoners can still have decent rankings in skills without swingin' a bunch of wealth around–so, follow-on point, try and let their clever solutions come down to skill checks rather than attacks or saves or what have you.

Giving them more skill points gives them more options to play around with; that way their clever solutions have a better chance of actually working, which is a great carrot.

Spore
2015-08-09, 05:59 AM
Hi playgrounders,

I'm in the process of putting together a new campaign world in which I plan on setting my PCs up against foes who would ordinarily be far above their pay grade. The intent is to encourage clever play (my players enjoy being clever). I was wondering if there were any DMs out there who had experience with this type of campaign who could offer a few pointers in running this sort of campaign.

Make it crystal clear that every enemy still has weaknesses. You cant realistically defeat an astral projecting Wizard with a gazillion spells cast upon him. But a Wizard who is also the Grand Vizier of the Sultan who hides in his magical tower fortress and is only really "vulnerable" when in the castle or on diplomatic missions. He may have a disregard (not a ban) for Abjuration spells (because no one would DARE attack him) and keeps his minions in line with fear (making them more likely to betray him).

As for experiences in said campaign worlds: A DM of mine also did this. But he super powered EVERYTHING. Suddenly bartenders were CR 13 Agathions in disguise, palace guards had 14 levels in a gish build or merchants were actually polymorphed metallic dragons. This made the PCs feel very weak, the game felt railroady (if you dont go down the beaten path, a CR 17 monster will rip you apart). To make matters worse he cast a very high DC Nightmare upon the two casters in the group so that they had to use one day worth of spells for WEEKS of travelling time. So PLEASE don't do that.

Make singular important BBEGs or his lieutenants powerful when left in their homefield. Give them weaknesses. I particularly like the homefield advantage (you cant kill a crime lord in his hideout spiked with traps, goons and ambushes) and giving the villains believable but exploitable weaknesses. Just think about the deadly sins:
- Sloth: the villain cant be bothered to counter the heroes even though they are close to killing him because he prefers to sleep all day
- Gluttony: the villain always wants more, more money, more food, more servants, more power. Easy to be tricked
etc. you know the drill.