PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a brief description of this casting.

SangoProduction
2015-08-09, 04:53 AM
My friends and I are playing a home-baked version of D&D (basically using it as a skeletal structure more than anything). I got really inspired to add a Rune Casting system (ie. modular casting) to the game, and they were in on it. Most of it is done, but I have run to just a single hitch so far (and one that's really not going to be a problem, unless it were to be published for people who doesn't have the designer there to explain it, but I still want to fix it regardless).

It is that I can't come up with a good, brief description of the cast time mechanic. Hopefully someone can make sense of the long description and give me a better one than I've got.

Brief Description (lol): It takes 1 move equivalent action to cast a number of runes equal to your (Rea mod).

Long Description:
For example with a Reasoning score of 18, you would have a +4 Rea Mod, allowing you to cast a spell up to 4 runes long as a move-equivalent action, or up to 8 runes long 2 move-equivalent actions. You need to spend at least 1 action per turn casting the spell, or lose the spell, but you don't need to commit all actions to doing so.
Thus, for the above example, they could cast the 8-rune spell in 2 turns, taking only their move action, letting them use their standard action on both turns, or they could use both a move action and standard action to cast the spell in 1 turn.

rockdeworld
2015-08-09, 11:27 PM
Assuming you're using the same action types as D&D 3.5, it might be something like this:

(table) Move actions
Cast a Spell
Continue Casting a Spell

Cast a Spell or Continue Casting a Spell
To cast a spell, your character must activate all the runes in that spell. Whenever your character begins or continues casting a spell, they activates a number of the spell's runes equal to their REA mod. Once they have activated enough runes, the spell takes effect. You can begin or continue casting a spell as a move action.

(the rest copied from d20srd, bolded where changed)

Note: You retain your Dexterity bonus to AC while casting.

Spell Components
To cast a spell with a verbal (V) component, your character must speak in a firm voice. If you’re gagged or in the area of a silence spell, you can’t cast such a spell. A spellcaster who has been deafened has a 20% chance to spoil any spell he tries to cast if that spell has a verbal component.

To cast a spell with a somatic (S) component, you must gesture freely with at least one hand. You can’t cast a spell of this type while bound, grappling, or with both your hands full or occupied.

To cast a spell with a material (M), focus (F), or divine focus (DF) component, you have to have the proper materials, as described by the spell. Unless these materials are elaborate preparing these materials is a free action. For material components and focuses whose costs are not listed, you can assume that you have them if you have your spell component pouch.

Some spells have an experience point (XP) component and entail an experience point cost to you. No spell can restore the lost XP. You cannot spend so much XP that you lose a level, so you cannot cast the spell unless you have enough XP to spare. However, you may, on gaining enough XP to achieve a new level, immediately spend the XP on casting the spell rather than keeping it to advance a level. The XP are expended when you cast the spell, whether or not the casting succeeds.

Attacks of Opportunity
Generally, if you cast a spell, you provoke attacks of opportunity from threatening enemies. If you take damage from an attack of opportunity, you must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + points of damage taken + spell level) or lose the spell. Spells that require only a free action to cast don’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

Casting on the Defensive
Casting a spell while on the defensive does not provoke an attack of opportunity. It does, however, require a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to pull off. Failure means that you lose the spell.

Touch Spells in Combat
Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Touch Attacks
Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

Holding the Charge
If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Dismiss a Spell
Dismissing an active spell is a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. A spell is not active until you have finished casting it.

SangoProduction
2015-08-10, 04:45 AM
that looks pretty solid. I think I'll definitely be using that description. [and thanks for reminding me about spell components, lol. Was about to have all spells be automatically silent and still.]