PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Goblin Archer Build Help

CGNefarious
2015-08-09, 09:20 AM
I'm trying to come up with a good ranged backup character for a gestalt campaign I'm in. I know for one side of the gestalt I want to be a Stalker (Dreamscarred Press) focusing on Solar Wind and Tempest Gale, but I'm unsure about the other side. Right now I'm thinking either Ranger, Slayer, UnRogue, or Marksman (also DSP). I've never played a full archer before, so I'm not sure what the best ranged classes are. I know I don't want to go Zen Archer, because Monks don't fit well with Goblins. Same with Paladins.

Any advice on which class I should take, or on ranged combat in general?

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-09, 09:33 AM
Sniper Slayer is insane with the ACG errata. One of the best non-named-bullet-abusing Paizo archers for sure. Sneak attack at any range, and you add your level to the damage roll of the first attack against an unaware target (after which point they become aware of your presence, but probably not your position). Also they can ignore range penalties by taking Far Shot, because of how the rounding rules work:

Benefit: You only suffer a –1 penalty per full range increment between you and your target when using a ranged weapon.
At 1st level, a sniper halves all range increment penalties when making ranged attacks with a bow, crossbow, or firearm.
Unless otherwise noted, whenever you must round a number, always round down.

CGNefarious
2015-08-09, 10:16 AM
after which point they become aware of your presence, but probably not your position

Wait, does that mean you can continue to stay stealthed and sneak attack after your first shot? With a Goblin's insane bonus to stealth (+16 at level one with no investment besides a rank) that could be a great choice. But it seems too good to be true.

Edit: Nevermind. I just read that he had to be completely unaware of my presence for the sneak attack to work. That makes me unsure if it would still be better than the Shroud Marksman who gets Hide in Plain Sight, Powers, and with the Volley Style a lot of extra attacks in a full attack, which I could make while moving. The sneak attack damage would stack with maneuvers to make me more bursty, but would it be better if I can only really do it once a round?

Psyren
2015-08-09, 10:25 AM
It's +18 with just a rank actually - +6 from 22 Dex, +4 racial, +4 size, +4 skills (rank + class skill.) Then add +2 from the Color Thief trait gets you +20 stealth at first level. Goblins are pretty nasty sneaks.

Personally I would drop to 20 or even 18 Dex to give the poor DM a fighting chance :smalltongue:

CGNefarious
2015-08-09, 10:30 AM
We're actually given an array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 (we're Goblins, not heroes), though I didn't mention that. My bad. I planned on putting the 14 into Dex since I'm getting quite the bonus already and I want a 16 in Wis by level 4. I might just get Color Thief this time. It's a shame I won't be taking Veiled Moon. =(

CGNefarious
2015-08-10, 03:56 AM
So I'm still not completely sold on the Marksman over the Slayer (that sneak attack is oh so tempting), but I went ahead and planned out the Stalker//Marksman gestalt. Here is my current plan, only listing the choice I have to make.

So I'm planning on taking the Soul Hunter Stalker archetype, and the Shroud Marksman archetype. The Soul Hunter's Claim mechanic seems a lot better than the Stalkers Deadly Strikes, and the only thing I regret losing is Wisdom to Reflex and initiative. The Shroud Marksman is a master of stealth, gaining a limited invisibility right off the bat which improves with time, bonuses to stealth, and even a form of Hide in Plain Sight.

I'm going to focus on Solar Wind, Tempest Gale, and Veiled Moon, which looks like it would be possible with all the maneuvers known the Stalker gets. I might even dabble a bit in Steel Serpent (or Broken Blade depending on how it looks after the errata).

Here at the feats and Stalker Arts I'm planning to choose each level.

SA: Deadly Ambush, Precise Shot, Point-Blank Shot [Bonus]
null
SA: Deadly Insight, Rapid Shot
null
Many Shot [Bonus], Deadly Aim
null
SA: Critical Edge, Snap Shot
??? [Bonus]
Discipline Focus: Solar Wind
null
SA: Critical Training
null
Solar Wind Style
Clustered Shot [Bonus]
SA: Precognition, Improved Snap Shot
null
Improved Critical [Bonus], ???
null
SA: Evasion, ???
null

My DM is letting the Favored Weapon from Marksman count as Weapon Focus, and said I could take Weapon Specialization even though I'm not a fighter. Against my better judgement I'm considering it so that I can take Point Blank Master and not have to worry at all about being in melee.

So is this a decent start to a build? Should I ignore all the critical stuff since I'm not doing Deadly Strikes anymore? Are there any feats I should consider or get rid of? Or maybe just change the order around a bit?