PDA

View Full Version : How to stat these Battle Sissors

SangoProduction
2015-08-09, 09:31 AM
OK, not exactly the most practical of weapons, but if you get a good hold on something, it's going to deal some damage. How, would you represent this item in D&D? Perhaps make it a "Scythe" that's exotic, but only half penalty if you are proficient with Scythes normally. And, obviously, there would be the bonus to grapple. And as a no brainer for exotic weapons, increase the damage by a size category or 2. Perhaps even add a further critical multiplier (because you don't want that getting on anything critical)?
​It's possible to argue for Reach, as it is longer than a sword, but I don't feel you'd have enough control over the weapon to do anything in combat if you reach out that far.
​What would you do with it, to make it a D&D weapon?

​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBHte9AXq8

Lerondiel
2015-08-09, 09:41 AM
Definitely dangerous if you can convince an opponent to run with them :P

SangoProduction
2015-08-09, 09:57 AM
Definitely dangerous if you can convince an opponent to run with them :P

lol, brilliant. Only need to wait 20 rounds for the enemy to decapitate themselves on it.

The Viscount
2015-08-10, 04:58 PM
The stats for the Pincer Staff seem to pretty much line up in terms of how well it works. I'd swap the bludgeoning for slashing damage and keep it exotic. If we're trying to recreate these specific scissors, I'd call them reach. They've got very long handles that would get a bit unwieldy up close. Or alternatively, have it be reach or close (like the duom) but only allow grappling when used as a reach (to represent that the arms need space to close).

5ColouredWalker
2015-08-10, 05:06 PM
That's not a weapon, that's a novelty toy called a weapon. Used as a weapon, I'd call it an improvised one, doing 1d6 B as you beat people with it instead of trying to catch limbs, maybe reach.

The Viscount
2015-08-10, 05:39 PM
It looks more competent as a weapon to me than the Orc Double Ax, Gnome Hooked Hammer, or Orc Shotput.

SangoProduction
2015-08-11, 05:48 AM
That's not a weapon, that's a novelty toy called a weapon. Used as a weapon, I'd call it an improvised one, doing 1d6 B as you beat people with it instead of trying to catch limbs, maybe reach.

To be fair, most D&D weapons, and especially exotic weapons are novelties called weapons. I mean, just check out the Harp Bow...or any Double Weapon...or the weight of any of the weapons.

SangoProduction
2015-08-11, 05:52 AM
The stats for the Pincer Staff seem to pretty much line up in terms of how well it works. I'd swap the bludgeoning for slashing damage and keep it exotic. If we're trying to recreate these specific scissors, I'd call them reach. They've got very long handles that would get a bit unwieldy up close. Or alternatively, have it be reach or close (like the duom) but only allow grappling when used as a reach (to represent that the arms need space to close).

The Pincer Staff seems cool.