PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 Kensai: Which weapon, which base class(es), which race, which enchantments etc.

Nando
2015-08-09, 12:55 PM
Hello all,

since I might be starting a new game soon, I'd like to hear your advice on optimizing a Kensai.

I think I won't be advancing it's kind of stupid preq of 5 ranks in Ride, but I'd like to try a bit of Diplomacy and/or Intimidation stuff.

So, yeah...other informations: 3.5, most books aloud, but no Dragon Mag, Generic Classes would get a go...
I'd like to get sources for suggestion, if possible.

Thank's playground!

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-09, 01:00 PM
Enhance your fists, or just one fist (can't do the whole unarmed strike for some reason), and then give them the Throwing, Distance, and Returning properties.

noob
2015-08-09, 01:04 PM
Why your fist?
Why not your grafted sword?

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-09, 01:07 PM
Why your fist?
Why not your grafted sword?

Do you really have to ask? (https://youtu.be/2GZ00R2iy-8?t=35s)

Urpriest
2015-08-09, 01:08 PM
When people want to play a Kensai, it's generally because they have a particular weapon they want to enhance in a particular way, since the class doesn't really have any appeal otherwise. Which weapon are you planning to use?

Nando
2015-08-09, 01:14 PM
Do you really have to ask? (https://youtu.be/2GZ00R2iy-8?t=35s)

While I appreciate the input, I'd like a more serious approach ;)

When people want to play a Kensai, it's generally because they have a particular weapon they want to enhance in a particular way, since the class doesn't really have any appeal otherwise. Which weapon are you planning to use?

Hmm, actually I'm not entirely sure. Probably a scythe, 'cause it's funny. Or the classic Greatsword.

Urpriest
2015-08-09, 01:18 PM
Hmm, actually I'm not entirely sure. Probably a scythe, 'cause it's funny. Or the classic Greatsword.

So what's drawing you to the class, then? What about Kensai is appealing?

Nando
2015-08-09, 01:30 PM
So what's drawing you to the class, then? What about Kensai is appealing?

Well, the"easy" aquisition of more or less any set of enchantments on a given weapon (but, since I never got to play a game up to levels where enchantments other then +1 were relevant, I'm not really sure, what's nice to have), also the fluff part of puring your life force into your weapon to advance your curse.
And I actually like the other abilities, even though they'ren't really strong.

I think I'd like to go into some kinda of intimidating, fierce crusader kind of guy direction, sure in the righteousness of his own actions etc. ;)

Vaz
2015-08-09, 02:01 PM
If your DM is one of "those" guys, there's nothing stopping you from having to locate a Blacksmith to create a sword first of all. (meaning you'd need to locate either a Level 3 blacksmith with Max ranks in Craft Weaponskill, Masterwork Tools, an Apprentice (capable of passing a DC10 test without taking 10) and/or an Int of 15+ (any combination of those gets you between DC18 and 20 to make a Masterwork Exotic Weapon). Locating that person could be quite difficult (not every village you pass through has that ability, and in larger cities, finding someone who is able to help you without already being hired by other equivalents means you might need to resort to using things like Gather Information to find such a person where there skill isn't high enough to get them well known.

Then, they have to locate a spellcaster for hire with access to the required crafting feats and the correct spells (or some other source of the correct spells, requiring yet more time if you have to find someone with access to a spell to then put it into a scroll). You then have to wait for it to be created.

Failing that, you have to pray to either RNGeesus or hope that there just so happens to be a weapon of the required type that fits all your feats and desires with the wished for enchantments in the trolls lair that you've just looted.

Most games (that I've played in at least) don't bother with that palaver, and just let you "select" (within reason) the items you want in a shopping list.

But in such a game, the ability to choose the perfect weapon for your needs would be fantastic if that's what you need.

Troacctid
2015-08-09, 02:31 PM
Kensai has a bit of a Concentration subtheme, so it synergizes well with classes that can make use of Concentration, such as Psychic Warriors and Diamond Mind-based Warblades.

FWIW if you just want the ability to upgrade a weapon, you can get that from the Ancestral Relic feat.

SkipSandwich
2015-08-09, 06:37 PM
Psionic Weapon Master can do pretty much everything the Kensai does plus advances manifesting. I don't know off hand any way to qualify before level 7 though. (If it weren't for advancing manifesting though, I would stay far, far away from the feat tax for entry, of the SEVEN required feats, only Psionic Weapon is worth taking)

Talionis
2015-08-09, 08:18 PM
Kensai has a bit of a Concentration subtheme, so it synergizes well with classes that can make use of Concentration, such as Psychic Warriors and Diamond Mind-based Warblades.

FWIW if you just want the ability to upgrade a weapon, you can get that from the Ancestral Relic feat.

I agree Diamond Mind Warblade has great synergy. It uses Concentration and can replace the Saves with Concentration Checks.

Never room to do both, but it gets martial crazy with Warchanter tenth level.

Nando
2015-08-09, 08:21 PM
Thanks folks, for the input so far.

I think it'll be a campaign, where being able to just get the enchantments that you really want on your weapon is a noteworthy feat, so, yeah... ;)

While I'd like to stay away from Psionics (never got to read into them, not sure how open the rest of the group is about sub-systems), I'm interested in the ToB-classes.
So, could someone give me some advice on such a Diamond Mind-Warblade into Kensai-build (never got to play a ToB-class or even see much of one in game, just like one session with a Crusader, years ago)?

((I might not be able to respond in the next...twelve days, but I'd really appreciate to see some hints and tipps, when I come back. Anyways, thank you all!))