PDA

View Full Version : Azer/Fire Dwarves and the Spartan Handbook

kalos72
2015-08-09, 03:52 PM
So my group is looking to put together a mass of azer dwarves for the core of our city's army.

We were going to run with the Spartan/Phalanx approach and thought Azer dwarves would rock in that role.

Question is, would other dwarves consider them "kin" or some elemental abomination? We are going with a community of elves/dwarves and humans rebuilding Neverwinter but want something with more style then jsut shield of gold dwarves.

We are using Mithral Elves for ranger/scouts and Azer dwarves crusader/dwarven defender types...we thinks. :)

Maybe some undead fire giants as shock troops since Azer have a "thing" there...

Nifft
2015-08-09, 04:00 PM
Question is, would other dwarves consider them "kin" or some elemental abomination?

Although unfriendly and taciturn, azers rarely provoke a fight except to relieve a foe of gems, which they love. If threatened, they fight to the death, but they see the value of taking prisoners themselves. Sounds pretty dwarvish.

Obvious points of confirmation:
- Are Azers enemies of Giants and Goblinoids? The SRD entry lacks anything about special training vs. those types, but the SRD entry is basically a monster entry, and monsters don't always get that sort of nuance.
- Does the typical Azer value mining, stonework, smithwork, and fine craftsmanship in general?
- Do a large number of Azers revere the local Dwarven pantheon?
- Can an Azer drink beer?

kalos72
2015-08-09, 04:20 PM
They seem to be more elemental now, holding that sub-class I believe.

But Moradin is still their primary god...

kalos72
2015-08-09, 06:07 PM
I cant find many references to azer dwarves really...anyone know any storyline or anything? Any links?

kalos72
2015-08-09, 08:39 PM
One of my PC's(Dain) is an Ironstar dwarf - below is a possible link to Azer?

207DR - Clan Ironstar delved too deep, stumbling upon a clan of fire giants that were using a gate from the Plane of Fire to send precious minerals and gems through. The fire giants kidnapped Ironstar royalty - over 1000 years in the Elemental Planes turning them into Azer - Dain returns to find them...

Nifft
2015-08-09, 11:36 PM
One of my PC's(Dain) is an Ironstar dwarf - below is a possible link to Azer?

207DR - Clan Ironstar delved too deep, stumbling upon a clan of fire giants that were using a gate from the Plane of Fire to send precious minerals and gems through. The fire giants kidnapped Ironstar royalty - over 1000 years in the Elemental Planes turning them into Azer - Dain returns to find them...

Are you playing in the Forgotten Realms? Is your DM very likely to accept anything TSR wrote about the Realms?

I mean, there's nothing wrong with saying that Azer are a type of Dwarf. But there's also nothing wrong with saying that Azer were created by a Titan who hated Dwarves, and all Azer therefore drink champagne and shave their faces -- which are always on fire, so the shaving doesn't do much, but it's the principle of the thing -- and that all Azer speak with horrible fake Irish accents instead of horrible fake Scottish accents.

IMHO it's very reasonable to say that Azer are Dwarves, and it sounds like that would be a cool thing for your game. But you ought to check with your DM; or if you're the DM, just decide and stick with your decision for the duration of this campaign.