PDA

View Full Version : Wish as a spell like ability

Yogibear41
2015-08-09, 05:54 PM
When using wish as a spell like ability to create or improve a magic item, I know the normal 5000 xp cost for wish does not have to be paid, due to it being a spell like ability. But do you still have to pay the double the normal XP cost to create said item?

Jack_Simth
2015-08-09, 07:36 PM
When using wish as a spell like ability to create or improve a magic item, I know the normal 5000 xp cost for wish does not have to be paid, due to it being a spell like ability. But do you still have to pay the double the normal XP cost to create said item?

Technically? No, as the XP cost is listed in the xp component description, not in the spell text.

Practically? Yes, as few DMs will let such high-powered tactics fly in their games.

Brova
2015-08-09, 08:12 PM
Jack_Smith is correct. You pay nothing whatsoever for a spell like or supernatural wish, regardless of what it does. As he points out, that's quite broken as written. I suggest that you modify wish (as suggested in the Tome of Fiends (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=28828)) to create only magic items worth 15,000 GP or less. In addition to limiting but not destroying the utility of free wishes, that same set of assumptions (that high level people have functionally unlimited mundane wealth) allow you to have dragons sleep on beds of gold, or castles made out of diamonds without PCs gaining disproportionate power.